yconic - UWO stress
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO stress

A photo of maggiesueee maggiesueee
UWO is pretty much my top choice and my most preferable if you know what I mean. I applied and got word that I was not offered admission because I was "Below requirements". That made sense at the time because I applied for Kinesiology and my marks didn't meet their average and I didn't have Biology 30 (I'm an Albertan student) at the time.

I'm just wondering what I should do now... They said in my letter that they would be willing to reconsider applications but I'm just not sure of how to do that. Do I just fill out the self-reported grades form again, should I send in a transcript, or would they reconsider it on their own?

My marks:
Biology 30 (Interim): 80
English 30-1: 73
Chemistry 30 IB: 70
History 30 IB: 86
French 30: 82
Math 30: 81
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was recently offered admission to UWO for three different programs and I can tell you that for every program this year, UWO will require you to have a MINIMUM FINAL average of 84% in order to retain your offer. From your marks, it seems you are below that cut-off unfortunately.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@maggiesueee wrote
UWO is pretty much my top choice and my most preferable if you know what I mean. I applied and got word that I was not offered admission because I was "Below requirements". That made sense at the time because I applied for Kinesiology and my marks didn't meet their average and I didn't have Biology 30 (I'm an Albertan student) at the time.

I'm just wondering what I should do now... They said in my letter that they would be willing to reconsider applications but I'm just not sure of how to do that. Do I just fill out the self-reported grades form again, should I send in a transcript, or would they reconsider it on their own?

My marks:
Biology 30 (Interim): 80
English 30-1: 73
Chemistry 30 IB: 70
History 30 IB: 86
French 30: 82
Math 30: 81

Don't give up yet. There is a special reconsideration form that you can fill up and sent. https://studentservices.uwo.ca/secure/admission/ReconsiderationofAdmission/

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HHuskies9 HHuskies9

@Razear wrote
I was recently offered admission to UWO for three different programs and I can tell you that for every program this year, UWO will require you to have a MINIMUM FINAL average of 84% in order to retain your offer. From your marks, it seems you are below that cut-off unfortunately.

wow really? thats pretty high for a final average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jsonga Jsonga

@Razear wrote

That's funny because the cutoff for Science (BSc) last year for example was 83% and I highly doubt that the entrance average this year will spike to over 84%.

@OP: When did you receive the letter? Either way, you're taking Biology now so I'd assume you're "below the requirements" because your average average is much lower than the Kin cutoff of ~85%. Since they will look at your midterm + first semester for their final round it's unlikely you'll make the cut though if you fill out the forms posted above they may reconsider.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@HHuskies9 wrote

I was shocked too when I received my admissions package. The final average of 84% applies to every program at UWO by the way. You can always fill out the extenuating circumstances form if you think you will fall below that by the end of the school year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout

@Razear wrote

@HHuskies9 wrote

I was shocked too when I received my admissions package. The final average of 84% applies to every program at UWO by the way. You can always fill out the extenuating circumstances form if you think you will fall below that by the end of the school year.

Really? Is it 84%?

I got accepted, too, and I'm pretty sure it says that I need to maintain an average of 80%. :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jordyn07 jordyn07
I can confirm that as well, in the acceptance package it says for EVERY program (with the exception of I think studio/visual arts) the minimum average to maintain must be an 84%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@jordyn07 wrote
I can confirm that as well, in the acceptance package it says for EVERY program (with the exception of I think studio/visual arts) the minimum average to maintain must be an 84%.

I noticed on your signature that you were accepted to UWO BioMed yet you're waiting for acceptance to Queens Science. If you don't mind my asking, what was your admissions average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jordyn07 jordyn07

@chelsealaurensinclair wrote

@jordyn07 wrote

I noticed on your signature that you were accepted to UWO BioMed yet you're waiting for acceptance to Queens Science. If you don't mind my asking, what was your admissions average?

I was accepted with a top 6 average of 93.0%, but for Queen's, having to factor in my calculus mark drops me down to 91.5%. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tsteph9 tsteph9
What was your average to get into the MIT program at Western ?

@Razear wrote

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tsteph9 wrote
What was your average to get into the MIT program at Western ?

I had an 89.93% top 6 average. I got into all 3 of UWO's programs listed in my sig at the same time with this average, not just MIT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mccannca466 mccannca466
Ya, I was told s well that the required minimum average to KEEP your admission is 84%. But if you applying for a pogram eith a higher admission average, you apparently need to reach that admission first, let Western send you an acceptance, and THEN have to keep a minimum 84%.

I know, it's really stupid and makes no sense. But that's OK for me cuz the admission average for Nursing was way higher than that, so an 84 isn't unreasonable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0