yconic - UWO (University of Western Ontario Acceptance 2011) HELP
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO (University of Western Ontario Acceptance 2011) HELP

A photo of HughJazz HughJazz
I applied to social science (psychology) and to kinesiology. If I add up my top six marks for social science, my average is 80% on the dot, for kinesiology however I end up with a 79.5% avg (b/c of biology). Do I have a chance to get into these programs?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Western hasn't sent me anything, they haven't said yes or no so I'm starting to get annoyed. I've read a lot of threads for this years acceptances (for UWO) and it seems everyone who got accepted had like an 83%+ avg! WTF. Its strange though b/c I got accepted to UofT (St George) for Kin and I thought that was a harder program to get into.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
80% is not the cutoff grade, it is the minimum grade you must have to be considered. With other applicants having higher grades and a limited number of first year spots, the actual cut-off average for programs ranges between 83% and 88%, usually. Western isn't thaaaaat easy to get into after all.

I wouldn't put money on you getting into kin with 79.5 unfortunately, but you have a slightly better chance with social sci because you're at least meeting the absolute minimum grade requirement.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you know of anyone who had gotten in with an 80 or 79.5 avg? Or even put on the waiting list?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@HughJazz wrote
Do you know of anyone who had gotten in with an 80 or 79.5 avg? Or even put on the waiting list?

No, I don't, but that's not to say it hasn't happened. I just don't know anyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

i see, ill keep my hopes up...how about transfering schools?? Do you know if that is a hard task or possible? (E.g. Going to UofT st George Kin for 1/2 yrs than western)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@laney wrote
Hey, I know how frustrated you must be and I hate to tell you, but I don't think you have a chance at all for kinesiology. In the past kinesiology has always had higher cut-offs than some of the other programs at Western (and the general cut-off for last year was 83%). And i'm not sure specifically about kinesiology at UofT St. George but it generally has lower cut-offs than other universities such as Western or McMaster for its life sciences and a lot of other programs (since they accept a LOT of students in their first year).

Also for social science, you *might* have a chance but it is also highly unlikely. As I said before, people that got rejections last year were told that 83% was the cut-off for most programs, exculding programs that had higher cut-offs. That being said, I know someone that got accepted for this program with an 83%, so you never know, maybe averages are low this year. Also, if you completed that extra-curricular form and had some good thigns on there it might help to increase your chances.

But overall, I would probably say that you won't get accepted to kinesiology and might have a reeally small chance of being accepted to social science. This is based on last year's acceptances and cut-offs, so hopefully i'm completely wrong and you get accepted for everything! Good luck, and hang in there I know it's really stressful right now for you!

This is exactly what I was thinking, I just didn't know how to word it without sounding bad. <3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktlm1 ktlm1

@HughJazz wrote
i see, ill keep my hopes up...how about transfering schools?? Do you know if that is a hard task or possible? (E.g. Going to UofT st George Kin for 1/2 yrs than western)

Western admissions told me that last year the kin cut off was 84.5. It will be tough to get into kin with 79 , i def wouldnt count on kin :( My average is 85 and i just recieved my acceptance last weeek!
maybe call uwo or send an email regarding your chances for social sci?
good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

DAMMMMIITTT. Im just curious, do you know the average to Management and Organizational studies??? I believe that is the program with the most acceptances (in number wise)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktlm1 ktlm1

@HughJazz wrote
DAMMMMIITTT. Im just curious, do you know the average to Management and Organizational studies??? I believe that is the program with the most acceptances (in number wise)

http://www.uwo.ca/pvp/common_university2010/cudo_2010/b.htm

go to that site, and scroll down to B3 - Secondary School Averages of Full-Time, First Year Student. Those are the admission averages for all uwo programs in 2010!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktlm1 wrote

@HughJazz wrote

go to that site, and scroll down to B3 - Secondary School Averages of Full-Time, First Year Student. Those are the admission averages for all uwo programs in 2010!

Ok sick thanks! How the hell did u find this1?!?!?!?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktlm1 ktlm1

@HughJazz wrote

@ktlm1 wrote

@HughJazz wrote

OUAC! under statistics :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktlm1 ktlm1

@ktlm1 wrote

@HughJazz wrote

@ktlm1 wrote

@HughJazz wrote

OUAC! under statistics :)

Yet the averaged are subjected to change from last year! it all depends on the year ..
gooooduck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PeoplesChamp PeoplesChamp
Your average is a bit low for UWO Social Science as the cut-off last year was 83% and a AO said the cut-off this year is expected to rise. I think you should consider filling out a special consideration profile/form and outline any extra-curricular activities and community involvement you might have had. This form is for people who fall well below the cut-off such as in your situation and they will look at this form along with your application and deem if you what you've done outside of school justifies overlooking being below the cut-off and if it could have affected your academic performance. Not sure if it's closed already to submit the form, but if it is still available no harm in filling one out to make sure you get considered. Another option would be to switch your campus to one of their affiliated campuses (I.E Brescia, Huron, King's.) where it is a lot less competitive and you'll have a better chance of getting in.

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0