yconic - UWO Vs. Mcgill Biomed Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Vs. Mcgill Biomed Science

A photo of shakas shakas
Hello everyone
I really need some help making a decision. I really want to pursue a career in medicine and I want the best undergrad program in biomedical sciences to get me into medical school. I have applied to several universities but I have narrowed it down to 2, which are University of Western Ontario and Mcgill. So could you guys help me by answering the following questions?:

1) Which is easier to get a higher grade in (due to bell curves, professors, etc.)?
2) Which has the higher quality biomedical science program?
3) Which has greater ethnic diversity?
4) Which has the better, friendlier student community?
5) Which is more fun?

I have considered some things already. UWO is much closer to home (Toronto), which is a plus, but Mcgill is in Montreal (which is awesome) whereas UWO is in London, Ontario.

So which is the best to get me into medical school, while having fun along the way?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of VelvetSun VelvetSun
To be honest, I didn't know people compared McGill's biomed to Western's, but I can tell you that McGill is nationally ranked on top for their biomed/lifesci programs. In terms of environment and diversity, McGill is in Montreal so it is guaranteed that you will be surrounded by tons of different people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shakas shakas

@VelvetSun wrote
To be honest, I didn't know people compared McGill's biomed to Western's, but I can tell you that McGill is nationally ranked on top for their biomed/lifesci programs. In terms of environment and diversity, McGill is in Montreal so it is guaranteed that you will be surrounded by tons of different people.

Well the thing is Canadian medical schools don't care what school you come from so it would be best to go somewhere where you can get better grades, hence Western with its low cutoff (80%) (Mcgill has a cutoff of 91.5%). That's why I'm comparing them. Also thanks for the tips!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shakas shakas
I could use some more input...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo
Both programs are pretty top-notch & they'll both afford you the chance to go to med school. Because I don't go to McGill, I can only tell you about UWO. UWO's biomed is by no means an easy program (I know people with averages in the 60s, but there are others with 80+ averages). Biomed is competitive (you're not actually in that program in year 1; you're in a general sci program taking the same courses as "science" students. You apply in term 2 of first year).
http://www.uwo.ca/bmsc/hsp_spaces.html gives you an idea of how many spaces are available in each stream of biomed, so your average is super important to ensuring that you get the stream that you want, as space is limited. You may be (depending on your stream) be required to write a thesis in fourth year, which is great because you get a chance to work with a prof who can provide you with a detailed recommendation letter for grad/med school.

UWO is very diverse, in my opinion with lots of cultural clubs on campus (it's considered a "large-size" university, thus, you can pretty much guarantee a great ethnic diversity). Amazing student community at UWO...tight-knit, spirited, lots of student events going on all the time both on campus & in rez. It has a good balance between academics & an active fun student life.
I don't know what you mean by "fun" (parties? going to the bars on fri/sat nights?), but the area surrounding campus is basically all students (mall, grocery store, bars, general downtown area, etc.). If you go downtown to the bars/clubs, it's ALL students which is fun(thus, it's different from a big city where you might go to a bar & you're the only university student there).
Was this helpful? Yes 0