yconic - very average marks, need help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

very average marks, need help

A photo of aastudent aastudent
alright i need help figuring out what program's i have a chance to get into, my expected top 6 average(being realistic) is, including advanced functions in the average, 78-80, and not including advanced functions or including data management to be 80-83.

defenitly not top tier, but i could use help figuring out what programs i have a chance to get in to, such as expected addmission average for the universitys im about to list and anything else i could do to help my chances?

i view Brock, McMaster, Carleton, Ryerson and Ottawa(they offer an option to take Calculus during the summer or during year one(says on ouac) so can do that) as my main 5 options for BBA/BComm programs that i think i have a chance to get into, again, admission averages and anything that i can do to help my case to get in.

also if there are other programs that have a lower needed average such as Guelph or Trent that could also be a decent option as well.

thanks in advance for any help guys!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of apple123 apple123
I am not sure if you know but @ Ryerson they had the Ted Rogers School of Management which included majors such as accounting, finance, marketing, entrepreneurship, law, HR, etc... The Admission average was 81%. Majority of the students chose accounting or finance as there major (These ppl had higher averages). So now they took accounting and finance out of Ted Rogers School of Management and opened Ted Rogers school of Accounting and Finance so the average is higher here (near 85% tops)and now the supply and demand is less for Ted Rogers School of Management so the average will be near 75% which you can definitely achieve.

The question is what do u want to major in??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well, yes i knew that, but i did not realize the difference in average would be that large... what i would have in mind is a year of undeclared and picking a major year 2 or whichever year it would be at the respective university, as for Ryerson, i would prefer the Accounting & Finance but if thats out of range the Business Managment program would be a viable option, so the Business managment program has no finance at all?

also, what about the other 4 universitys i mentioned? (Mcmaster, Ottawa, Carelton and Brock) like what are the averages required for those and for any of them is there anything i could do to help my case etc.

thanks for your help and thanks in advance for anyone else who will help me out
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

also, what about the other 4 universitys i mentioned? (Mcmaster, Ottawa, Carelton and Brock) like what are the averages required for those and for any of them is there anything i could do to help my case etc.

Mac requires mid 80s, Ottawa's 75-78, Carelton I would assume the same or similar to Ottawa, Brock's BBA without coop is low 80s, with coop is mid 80s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Joshki wrote

Mac requires mid 80s, Ottawa's 75-78, Carelton I would assume the same or similar to Ottawa, Brock's BBA without coop is low 80s, with coop is mid 80s

thats actually somewhat surprising based on what ive heard and seen about Ottawa, so assuming my average is atleast 78, even though i dont have calculus(which like i mentioned, ouac says i can take replacement course for it during my 1st semester at the university) i would more than likely get in? thanks for your help guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Yes, with 78 I think you'll be able to get in. However, aim for that 80 cuz if you have an 80, its pretty much guaranteed.

For calculus, yeh you can take it in first year uni, so just make sure you have a decent AF mark.(77-80+)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steveberry steveberry
You shouldn't have any problem getting in as long as your marks are over 75%.. If you think you are going to have trouble then pick some easy program for ex: arts or something and later on switch your program to the one that you want to get in .

Was this helpful? Yes 0

well yes, i will aim for the highest marks possible, as i will probably be working harder than gr9-11 combined, also, my AF mark started off realy badly so im only catching up now, would a high 60/low 70 hurt my chances if my top 6 average with AF is within the admission range?

and now i could use a little help deciding which ones to pick to apply for, like, for example, if have 4 applications, which 4 programs should be the 4 that would be in the best interest for me to apply to? like, Ottawa, Carelton, Ryerson and Brock.

thanks for all the help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0