yconic - Very low ENG4U mark, will I get rejected for UW and UT math?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Very low ENG4U mark, will I get rejected for UW and UT math?

A photo of Phase Phase
All my other grades as 80+, and 90's in advanced functions and calc. But my ENG4U mark is 71. Will I get rejected from both waterloo and toronto math due to my low english mark?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I don't think so, as long as you have the accumulated average that's high enough to meet their requirements, I think it'll be okay.
I'm not sure if east coast schools do this, but I know in the west coast that there is an English 12 requirement of at least 70% before an applicant can be considered for admissions, but like I said, that's for west coast schools, make sure you check up on that!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase

@cyynthiia wrote
I don't think so, as long as you have the accumulated average that's high enough to meet their requirements, I think it'll be okay.
I'm not sure if east coast schools do this, but I know in the west coast that there is an English 12 requirement of at least 70% before an applicant can be considered for admissions, but like I said, that's for west coast schools, make sure you check up on that!

I've heard various rumors of anyone with lower than 75% in english will not get accepted even if their average is above 90%.

I would like for someone to confirm this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of merm123 merm123

@Phase wrote
All my other grades as 80+, and 90's in advanced functions and calc. But my ENG4U mark is 71. Will I get rejected from both waterloo and toronto math due to my low english mark?

That's the same for me! Ohh English...my mark before the exam was 73. I'm sure it went down after the exam too :|

Good luck though!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of soulsaber soulsaber
You could always retake it in night school if you dont like your mark
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Human83 Human83
Pretty sure it'll be fine if your average is above the cutoff. I know Waterloo only needs a minimum of 70% in English, so if you have high marks in all your other courses you'll probably make it in fine.
Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deathangel deathangel

@Phase wrote

I think you should be fine. I got into everywhere (UofT, Waterloo, Western, York) when I applied back then, with a low 70s in ENG4U ;P

But of course, it depends on the number of people applying to your program. So to be safe, try to pull your marks up a bit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nipper1711 nipper1711
You should be okay, Just try and see if there is a way you can bring it up... like take the course again, or do it through Correspondence
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I had a friend who applied for Coop CS at UW last year and got put into non-coop CS due to his low english mark (i believe it was low 70s or hi 60s). he had good marks in everything else (mid80s probably?) but IDK about math @ UW if they are less/more competitive and if they care less/more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0