yconic - Victory Lap? Is it worth?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Victory Lap? Is it worth?

A photo of lauren18 lauren18
I applied to universities already but due to sudden change in financial circumstances, I might not have to afford my own university's expenses. My marks are pretty stellar. Is staying back one more year worth it since I'll be able to save a portion for my upcoming expenses or keep moving forward and see what is going to happen?

I'm really stressful right now since I don't know what to do...If I stay back, I could have just dropped one or two courses and make my life less stressful than now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
If finances are an issue, the obvious suggestion would be to take a year off and work. Doing more high school won't help you in any way financially, unless you somehow can get a 99% average and pull a ton of scholarships
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I intend to stay back one semester only and the other semester I will work. because staying home while going to university will help me a lot but the university near my home requires high average so I think my plan will work out somehow.

edit: I edited it.

Sorry for grammar errors. I was kinda stressful right now that I can't even think straight at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@lauren18 wrote
because staying home while going to university will help me a lot but it requires high average so by doing so may help me somehow.

I don't understand this sentence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
hey lauren :)

i would say yes in your case, it'd be worth it. I would talk with your guidance councillor though, there are lots of grants and scholarships and OSAP etc available for students in need. You may not even have to stay back a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@lauren18 wrote
I applied to universities already but due to sudden change in financial circumstances, I might not have to afford my own university's expenses. My marks are pretty stellar. Is staying back one more year worth it since I'll be able to save a portion for my upcoming expenses or keep moving forward and see what is going to happen?

I'm really stressful right now since I don't know what to do...If I stay back, I could have just dropped one or two courses and make my life less stressful than now.

Personally I would never stay back. First year is general. You can take a wide range of courses. Finances are an issue yes but if you get OSAP and apply for scholarships and bursaries, you'll be fine. You'll also save a lot if you stay home and commute. You say your marks are good too, so why go back to high school.

My opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@lauren18 wrote
I intend to stay back one semester only and the other semester I will work. because staying home while going to university will help me a lot but the university near my home requires high average so I think my plan will work out somehow.

edit: I edited it.

Sorry for grammar errors. I was kinda stressful right now that I can't even think straight at all.

OK, that makes a bit more sense. You said your "marks are pretty stellar", which to me would indicate you shouldn't need a higher average, hence why going back to high school wouldn't make sense. If you find you don't get acceptance to the school near your home, then perhaps consider going back to upgrade, but if you do get in there's no point.

Think of it this way. One more semester of high school is 5 months. If you can get a full time job for 5 months at minimum wage you can make almost $8000. That's a lot of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you for your replies. I'll think carefully about it since honestly I don't want to stay back one more year at all, but I don't want to be worried too much about finance problems while going to university which I'm paying lots of money for it and may end up failing or losing scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sascer520 sascer520
I too am in the same predicament as you, as the finance plays a huge role in university decisions. I thought of victory lapping, but then I talked to my teacher. He told me that staying back a year would be a waste of time with my grades and the type of student I am(a smart,hardworking student) albeit he didn't know about my financial situation. Majority of people tell me not to stay back. My guidance counselor told me to apply for scholarships. I think you should too. On this website, I saw a phrase. It went something like Law of Averages: The more scholarships you apply for, the better your chance of getting one. So I think you should just lay it all out there, work hard, and apply for scholarships your eligible for.

Sadly, I am not 100% sure of what I want to do, so that is why I was considering Victory Lapping. I'm still not sure.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind, What programs are you applying for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
My experience with receiving scholarships is that I received a lot of money, but only from a few sources. Almost all of my money either came from my university (the University of Alberta) or my province (Alberta). I received a relatively measly amount from external sources.

So with that being said, your choice of university can not only affect your finances in terms of living expenses, but it can greatly influence how much scholarship money you will get. I only applied to the U of A and U of C, but I have a feeling some of the Ontario universities might not have been quite as generous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0