yconic - Victory lap students
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Victory lap students

A photo of 57789689 57789689
Do victory lap takers get accepted into university easier? I've seen some people get accepted into programs with 1-2% below the CONDITIONAL average stipulated in the acceptance letter.

Just curious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
In some ways yes, taking a fifth year of high school will give you an advantage in applications since there is an extra opportunity to achieve higher grades since you'll be able to take more courses. It also alleviates the stress of having to maintain certain university minimums such as having to achieve a 75% overall final average by the end of the year if you've already done so by your fourth year of high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serllen Serllen
Just wondering what exactly is a victory lap? o.o
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mccannca466 mccannca466

@Serllen wrote

A victory lap is going back for a 5th year of high school to upgrade marks for postsecondary. And I am not sure if this is the norm, so by no means take it as such. But it seems my taking a 5th year allowed me to gain entrance to Western with a lower average.

I had previously applied to the nursing program last year and had not gotten in. The average was around an 88%. Due to extreme family issues, I had to drop out of normal school and upgrade my marks through adult education. I had NOT sent in any new marks by February, yet I was accepted into both the Main site and Fanshawe nursing with an 83%. I even double checked to make sure it was legit. It was an unconditional acceptance. I don't know WHY I was admitted (I highly doubt the admittance average dropped that low), but who am I to question such a blessing? Maybe it had something to do with that fact that it was my 1st choice, and I had previously applied and gotten rejected; maybe they made me an exception. Who knows?

So in short, there may be special consideration given to those who applied for a program, didn't get in, and then upgraded their marks. It shows they really want it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@mccannca466 wrote

@Serllen wrote

A victory lap is going back for a 5th year of high school to upgrade marks for postsecondary. And I am not sure if this is the norm, so by no means take it as such. But it seems my taking a 5th year allowed me to gain entrance to Western with a lower average.

I had previously applied to the nursing program last year and had not gotten in. The average was around an 88%. Due to extreme family issues, I had to drop out of normal school and upgrade my marks through adult education. I had NOT sent in any new marks by February, yet I was accepted into both the Main site and Fanshawe nursing with an 83%. I even double checked to make sure it was legit. It was an unconditional acceptance. I don't know WHY I was admitted (I highly doubt the admittance average dropped that low), but who am I to question such a blessing? Maybe it had something to do with that fact that it was my 1st choice, and I had previously applied and gotten rejected; maybe they made me an exception. Who knows?

So in short, there may be special consideration given to those who applied for a program, didn't get in, and then upgraded their marks. It shows they really want it.

Good for you for not giving up ! Congratulations!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of babyface234 babyface234
I think it does I did a victory lap I went back one semester to upgrade because last year I wanted to go into nursing but I did so bad that my average was too low it was a 70.6. So I decided I did not want to do nursing anymore I felt like my parents were forcing me so after first semester of upgrading I got an 76.5 average and right away got accepted for guelph-humber criminal justice program while it says you need a 80 average and also got accepted to york's children studies program. Right now I'm only doing nightschool and got my average to bump up to an 80.3 :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0