yconic - volunteering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

volunteering

A photo of drkbcs drkbcs
There isn't direct entry into dentistry I don't think.
It's a 3rd year program.
If you decide to apply in your third year, you can include it in your letter of intent.
Volunteering at a dentist would look really good on your letter, especially if you're applying for dental school, but I've never heard of anyone volunteering at a dentist's office, so I don't know if that would be possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
There isn't direct entry into dentistry I don't think.
It's a 3rd year program.
If you decide to apply in your third year, you can include it in your letter of intent.
Volunteering at a dentist would look really good on your letter, especially if you're applying for dental school, but I've never heard of anyone volunteering at a dentist's office, so I don't know if that would be possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of al1993 al1993

@drkbcs wrote
i know volunteer hours always look really good on an application... but i was wondering where i could volunteer to make it look good if i was applying to a dentistry program?
can you volunteer at a dentist? :S

If you're in high school, it is very unlikely you could volunteer at a dentistry.

Your volunteer hours during your undergraduate studies are more important. However, I'd suggest volunteering at a hospital to have a chance to surround yourself with patients and gain interpersonal skills. Volunteer at a children's nursery or a retirement home.

Look for a job shadowing opportunity in your area. Those are very helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of al1993 al1993

@drkbcs wrote
no i know, i think i have to get a bachelors degree in life sciences and then from there apply to their dentistry program
anyways, yeah i haven't heard of it either, i just wanted to know if it was possible..

thanks for your reply though :)

Oh hi,

Dentistry is extremely competitive, as all medical programs are. UWO has a great dentist school. Obtaining a bachelors in life sciences would be a good idea. Try to aim for a high GPA. Also, keep volunteering so you can develop interpersonal skills and show them off at interviews.

It's good to be well rounded. Universities will be more impressed if you can keep a high GPA while doing many EC's.

By the way, the university you obtain your Bachelor's plays no role in whether or not you make a professional development school. So if you go to the school that's close to home but isn't high ranked, that's fine as well as you obtain a high GPA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cookiemonster cookiemonster
You could volunteer with VIDA travel volunteer and join a dentistry team to volunteer & assist a dentist (and do a bunch of other stuff too). But you'd have to go to some place in central american and it costs over 1000. You could get scholarships and I think that'll be a pretty good experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
You might be able to get a receptionist position at a dentist's office to get your foot in the door. If the dentist likes you, eventually you could ask them questions about the equipment/practice when they're not busy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Someone I know is doing co-op in a dentist's office (in high school), so I think it would be possible to volunteer as well. Try asking around at dentists' offices. You might be asked to do jobs that don't completely relate instead of actually working with the dentist, but it's the same thing at the hospital, a lot of people don't actually work with the doctors because there is too much competition for those volunteer jobs.

Working at the hospital or a retirement home is a good option too, especially if you're at all considering med school, but if you're sure about going into dentistry, working with a dentist would show that you have taken steps to be sure this is the right path for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0