yconic - Volunteering
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Volunteering

A photo of IncanxGold IncanxGold
Does anyone have 2 cents on what type of volunteering I should be partaking in for the next year? I've noticed that most scholarships that one actually has a chance in if they're not exceptional at school (I'm only "good") or have some innate talent Universities look for is to be volunteering in the community and being a "leader" as much as possible and hoping somewhere along the line you'll get some sort of financial aid.

I honestly don't know how to tackle the beast. Anyone else feel the same way - or similarly?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
- Something related to your future program (if you want to be a nurse, volunteer taking care of old folks).
- Cadets, Scouts, The Duke of Edinburgh, etc. are all great in showing leadership
- Start some sort of NGO
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of experiencer experiencer
Personally, I don't think that getting scholarships should be the main reason for one to get involved and help others.

But to answer your question:
There isn't really a one-way ticket to all the scholarships. If you're really looking for the type of volunteer work, I would suggest ones that helps people in need, animals, or the environment. (Actually, anything where you're being selfless is all that's important).

HOWEVER, what I recommend is that you get involved in things that:

1) You genuinely care for and is passionate about.
2) Aid in preparing for your desired career area.
3) You really enjoy doing!

Whatever you choose to do, make sure you enjoy it!

I believe that personality really shines through. =) All the best!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anita.tran anita.tran
You should volunteer with stuff that interests you or that's related to what you want to be / go into. The volunteer positions you should be looking for are leadership ones since it gives you the most experience in that sort of volunteering. :cheese:

Hope that helped !!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emojaeva Emojaeva
Be sure to also have a lot of variety, like volunteer at different types of places. I've seen a lot of scholarships be awarded for DIVERSE involvement in your community or whatever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BillyShears BillyShears

@experiencer wrote
Personally, I don't think that getting scholarships should be the main reason for one to get involved and help others.

Wtf? Why else would you want to be some unappreciated, unpaid slave?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hanzi17pv hanzi17pv
Sometimes scholarship committees specifically look for volunteer involvement with senior citizens and Children.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RobinS RobinS
What kind of volunteering should i partake in, if i am going into the health field?
Other than volunterring with senior citizens?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BillyShears wrote

@experiencer wrote

Wtf? Why else would you want to be some unappreciated, unpaid slave?

To be honest, if I feel unappreciated and not treated right, then I consider ending the volunteer relationship. It's not worth hurting yourself to help others that need to learn to respect people and treat others better (unless you want to directly teach them to!).

Helping others is the most satisfying thing when you know that you are making a difference and when you see all those happy people!

But what I learned is that you have to protect and take good care of yourself in order to help others!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@RobinS wrote
What kind of volunteering should i partake in, if i am going into the health field?
Other than volunterring with senior citizens?

Try hospitals, community centres, health organizations and foundations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mapbanzon mapbanzon
If you are still not sure what you are interested in or passionate about, volunteer in as many places as possible and in as much variety. After a few months or even a year spent on all of them, cut down a bit to the ones that you find are truly interesting to you. After all, you don't want to waste your time on something that you really didn't want to do in the first place.

Also, if a university sees that you are focused on a few things that you excel in because they can see that you love it, you have a better chance of getting accepted rather than having only a scattered amount of places to volunteer that you don't really seem to care about.

Don't forget to try to go local as much as possible so you can really show that you care about the community. And if being a "leader" is what you are really after, after spending a few months in a place where you volunteer and they see that you are determined, you are more than likely to be placed in more leadership positions.

Hope it helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JulieSkater JulieSkater
I think that any motivation for getting involved in your community is great!

I recommend finding something that you are interested in and relates to your future area of study. You will also be able to decide if that subject is really right for you.

I also recommend something where you will be able to take on a leadership role. Everyone can put in their 20 hours. Look for the job that shows you can accept responsibilty and motivate others as well.

Whatever you choose, work hard and work lots. Scholarships and University applications will ask how ong you have been working at a job.volunteer. A dozen one week jobs do not show as much dedication as a year of one or two positions. Dedication and Leadership is the key to any application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EmilySmith EmilySmith
It's really important to do what interests you, but in this day in age people do things more for themselves, than to genuinely help others.... so I guess my point here is that you should do something that won't make the hours drag on and on and on.. but that the world values as well. Like for instance, the environment. If you volunteer for a local committee that aids the protection of a watershed, or an ecosystem than you will look more inovative in the long run than someone who helps coach footbal, ect. Another big subject is the elderly. Originality is key.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of XTC XTC
I agree with a lot of the statements made earlier, get involved in a variety of activities and you will find what you're passionate about! I agree with the others that say volunteering can't be for the sake of scholarships or volunteering, but because you truly believe in the cause. Its fine to start trying out volunteer activities with the eventual goal of winning a large scholarship, but its important to find the causes you genuinely believe in and not necessarily the ones you think sound the best. The interviewers for the large scholarships will not ask you what volunteer activities you did - but why.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joeylee18 joeylee18
Sometimes you don't have to land a volunteering position. Just join some clubs at school and help out as much as you can with their events.

Choose a variety of volunteering jobs. Don't just stick to sciences (hospitals, senior homes). Try to help out with sports, children, animals, etc.

Or ask your parents if you could help them out with work on the weekends or something. If that doesn't work, ask your friends' parents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Studentsucess1 Studentsucess1
I voluntered at a gurmat camp which is a rligious/cultural camp for kids. My job was to prepare food and look after and keep the children occupied, I had alot of fun. There might be some cultural camps or activities you may be able to volunteer at. I also volunteer at an international languages school on weekends which is really fun. I would also like to volunteer at a hospital because it looks amazing on your application but its really difficlut to get a spot to volunteer at the hospital because so many people are interested.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@hanzi17pv wrote
Sometimes scholarship committees specifically look for volunteer involvement with senior citizens and Children.

Really? Nice! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Abdullahfoster Abdullahfoster
I think ymca has a great volunteering program...am so going to join it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annamaria annamaria
Universities want to see results for example.. you were a part of a group who fundraised money for so and so they wanna see direct results eg. Our group built a school in Kenya

and they like to see leadership.. so organize something at your school like a toy drive or a glove drive
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KClendenning KClendenning
Like others have said, find something you're passionate about and relates to your program. Also, if your school has a co-op program, I highly recommend that. Scholarships often also look for leadership roles. Try joining a council or heading a project in a club you're in, even if it's not related to the program you want.

Ex.

Going into education program: Volunteer at child care centres, do a teaching co-op, a libary children programs, pediatric wing in a hospital, any youth programs your city might have, SUMMER CAMPS.

Nursing: Volunteer at a hospital, retirement home, local doctor's offices if they will let you.

Technology based programs: Try seeing if you can make electronic presentations or help with tech/sound stuff in your school. You can do the same for local community groups.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fionn fionn
You can always volunteer for charities such as The Salvation Army. You could also get involved in helping out at your local hospital, summer camps, YMCA, or retirement homes. If you ask your school counsellor they might also have some ideas for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0