yconic - Voting in Elections
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Voting in Elections

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I hope to get some good discussion with these questions.

Do you vote in elections? Why/why not?
Are there some elections you will vote in, while others you will not?
Do you only participate in one level of elections (e.g. federal elections, but not provincial)?
Do you feel committed and compelled to vote?
Should voting be compulsory and enforced under law?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
39 replies

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
1. No; because I can't be bothered.
2 & 3. Refer to the aforementioned point.
4. No.
5. I don't think it should be enforced; it's a right and not a responsibility.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote
4. No.

What do you mean you can't be bothered? You don't think your vote counts? Are you too busy? Are you too good to vote in elections?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote
4. No.

What do you mean you can't be bothered? You don't think your vote counts? Are you too busy? Are you too good to vote in elections?

I mean it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm sane enough not to be bothered. How many people realistically take the time to evaluate the platforms of the parties running in the election, honestly? I, for one, will be the first to say I don't. I mean an honest, independent look at their platforms. You may be very well knowledgeable, I'm not judging here. But the average Joe at our age isn't generally very politically aware (which sometimes leads to our concerns being deferred to the back burner anyhow). Would you rather have my ignorant vote skewing with what could otherwise have been a favourable outcome? Maybe if I see that changing in the future, I'll perhaps change my mind. It would be nice to see parties winning elections entirely on their platforms too without frequently resorting to mudslinging (leading to "we suck less than them" scenarios).

Maybe I'm being a hypocrite here because I sort of hinted at reasons people should vote, but I'm specifically referring to a mass re-alignment of priorities. For many of us, politics isn't high up on that list, and some would say for good reasons. Maybe I'll think differently when I see a change in those priorities. Maybe then I'll also feel my vote actually counts for something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
1) No, because I'm not 18 yet.
2) When I can vote, I'll vote in all levels.
3) Yes
4) No, because the cornerstone of democracy is the freedom of choice, enforcing voting by law takes away that freedom.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote
4. No.

I mean it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm sane enough not to be bothered. How many people realistically take the time to evaluate the platforms of the parties running in the election, honestly? I, for one, will be the first to say I don't. I mean an honest, independent look at their platforms. You may be very well knowledgeable, I'm not judging here. But the average Joe at our age isn't generally very politically aware (which sometimes leads to our concerns being deferred to the back burner anyhow). Would you rather have my ignorant vote skewing with what could otherwise have been a favourable outcome? Maybe if I see that changing in the future, I'll perhaps change my mind. It would be nice to see parties winning elections entirely on their platforms too without frequently resorting to mudslinging (leading to "we suck less than them" scenarios).

Maybe I'm being a hypocrite here because I sort of hinted at reasons people should vote, but I'm specifically referring to a mass re-alignment of priorities. For many of us, politics isn't high up on that list, and some would say for good reasons. Maybe I'll think differently when I see a change in those priorities. Maybe then I'll also feel my vote actually counts for something.

Typical disgusting, shallow response.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031
1-4. I have just turned 18 a few months ago and I plan to vote from this point on until the last election I am alive. The reason being is that thousands upon thousands of fellow Canadians gave up their lives so we can have this right to choose our leaders(as cheesy as many of you may find this - I do not care). For the reason above I plan on voting in all elections (federal, provincial, etc).

5. While I feel very strongly in our right to vote I do not think people should be made to vote by risk of punishment. My reasoning is that because the very rights many have fought for are based around freedom and forcing someone to vote is taking away a part of their freedom thus would contradict the base of our democracy.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
1. No, not 18 yet.
2. I'll try to vote at all levels.
3. N/A
4. Wouldn't go as far as to say "compelled", but I feel it's important.
5. No, people should be able to choose not to choose for whatever reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@SUMmer123456 wrote
I mean it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm sane enough not to be bothered. How many people realistically take the time to evaluate the platforms of the parties running in the election, honestly? I, for one, will be the first to say I don't. I mean an honest, independent look at their platforms. You may be very well knowledgeable, I'm not judging here. But the average Joe at our age isn't generally very politically aware (which sometimes leads to our concerns being deferred to the back burner anyhow). Would you rather have my ignorant vote skewing with what could otherwise have been a favourable outcome?

Pretty much made this exact same argument in another thread. Pretty hard to ask people to be reasonable when we're taught from a fairly early age that it is important to vote. I do get the feeling, however, that a lot of uninformed people feel the need to vote (dumb people tend to be more obedient and also tend to not care to inform themselves), so I almost feel the need to vote simply to offset those uninformed voters (I wouldn't consider myself an "informed" voter, but I do know more than most, which is frightening). Then I remind myself that my vote won't actually matter.

Also what worries me is that the uninformed voters tend to like the NDP, as the NDP makes the most promises. These uninformed voters, a higher proportion than expected of whom are among the dumber segment of the population, seem to think there is no downside to putting more money into social programs and/or are likely poorer than the average person and, therefore, think they deserve wealthier people's money. So if I can convince one dumb/uninformed voter to not vote, then I feel like I have effectively voted, without ever having to go to a polling booth.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote
I mean it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm sane enough not to be bothered. How many people realistically take the time to evaluate the platforms of the parties running in the election, honestly? I, for one, will be the first to say I don't. I mean an honest, independent look at their platforms. You may be very well knowledgeable, I'm not judging here. But the average Joe at our age isn't generally very politically aware (which sometimes leads to our concerns being deferred to the back burner anyhow). Would you rather have my ignorant vote skewing with what could otherwise have been a favourable outcome?

Pretty much made this exact same argument in another thread. Pretty hard to ask people to be reasonable when we're taught from a fairly early age that it is important to vote. I do get the feeling, however, that a lot of uninformed people feel the need to vote (dumb people tend to be more obedient and also tend to not care to inform themselves), so I almost feel the need to vote simply to offset those uninformed voters (I wouldn't consider myself an "informed" voter, but I do know more than most, which is frightening). Then I remind myself that my vote won't actually matter.

Also what worries me is that the uninformed voters tend to like the NDP, as the NDP makes the most promises. These uninformed voters, a higher proportion than expected of whom are among the dumber segment of the population, seem to think there is no downside to putting more money into social programs and/or are likely poorer than the average person and, therefore, think they deserve wealthier people's money. So if I can convince one dumb/uninformed voter to not vote, then I feel like I have effectively voted, without ever having to go to a polling booth.

Well articulated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Don't see a corporatist party, so I shan't vote.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LRooke wrote

1. The Bloc.

2. Why would you want corporate corruption at the government level?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@ARMY101 wrote

@LRooke wrote

1. The Bloc.

Yeah, but The Bloc is...The Bloc.

2. Why would you want corporate corruption at the government level?

As compared to the corruption already endemic in the government and civil service?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LRooke wrote
As compared to the corruption already endemic in the government and civil service?

Source?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@ARMY101 wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote
4. No.

Please explain.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of devi devi
yes im voting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist

@ARMY101 wrote
I hope to get some good discussion with these questions.

Do you vote in elections? Why/why not?
Are there some elections you will vote in, while others you will not?
Do you only participate in one level of elections (e.g. federal elections, but not provincial)?
Do you feel committed and compelled to vote?
Should voting be compulsory and enforced under law?

No, under 18.
I will only vote in elections in 2013 or later, and none prior to 2013.
I participate in no levels.
Not at all.
No, I don't think an ipsative system will produce valid results.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote
4. No.

Please explain.

Your excuses are nothing more than the typical, shallow responses that people use as excuses to not vote. Your vote does matter, and even if it doesn't it is still your duty and obligation to do so.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote
4. No.

Please explain.

Your excuses are nothing more than the typical, shallow responses that people use as excuses to not vote. Your vote does matter, and even if it doesn't it is still your duty and obligation to do so.

Firstly, I think it's an unfair evaluation to call it a "typical, shallow response". What I gather from your position is that my opinion doesn't matter, but my vote does (but remember that my vote should stem from my opinion; see the contradiction here?) It's not a duty/obligation by any means. Yes, it can be called a "duty" at an idealistic level; but practically speaking, it isn't. Never have I heard it used in that sense. That's why everyone calls it the "right" to vote. I do agree with you on one thing though. In the best of all possible worlds, it should be exercised (I'm not so keen on enforcement), and I, to some extent, envy the certainty you have in your claims. But I'm equally opposed to your treatment of contrary opinions without giving adequate thought to the validity of opinions besides yours own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ You haven't been here long enough to know that Army is very close-minded.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote
Firstly, I think it's an unfair evaluation to call it a "typical, shallow response". What I gather from your position is that my opinion doesn't matter, but my vote does (but remember that my vote should stem from my opinion; see the contradiction here?) It's not a duty/obligation by any means.

Typical: Capturing the overall sense of a thing; representing something by form.

Shallow: Lacking depth of intellect or knowledge; concerned only with what is obvious.

I'd say describing your response as the "typical, shallow response" is correct. You're using the same excuses as other people who don't vote: people who say "oh I'm too busy" or "I didn't know where to go" and making personal excuses, not actual excuses. Maybe if you were dying in the hospital you'd have a real excuse.

Yes, it can be called a "duty" at an idealistic level; but practically speaking, it isn't. Never have I heard it used in that sense. That's why everyone calls it the "right" to vote.

Duty: the social force that binds you to the courses of action demanded by that force.

"We must instill a sense of duty in our children"; every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty" - John D.Rockefeller Jr.

That's a great quote right there and it sums up my position perfectly. "Rights" are not one sided. You don't have the right to life, liberty, and security of the person without also having the responsibility to not deprive anyone else of his or her right to life, liberty, and security of the person. Likewise here, you do not have the right to live in a free, democratic, peaceful country, without also having the responsibility to continue that free, democratic, peaceful country by voting in elections.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jesseyeahh Jesseyeahh
Typical disgusting, shallow Army101 response.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Jesseyeahh wrote
Typical disgusting, shallow Army101 response.

In this case, he's mostly right.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
^ You haven't been here long enough to know that Army is very close-minded.

+1

Though I must say, can we not turn this into yet another online forum war? -.-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
Yup I voted, apparently you can't vote for the Bloc Quebecois in Ontario so that was disappointing...
Was this helpful? Yes 0