yconic - Waitlisted with 94% Avg (Queen's Commerce)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waitlisted with 94% Avg (Queen's Commerce)

A photo of Ayani Ayani
The subject pretty much explains itself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
51 replies

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
do you have a criminal record? Maybe the city of Kingston remembers you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ayani Ayani

@kiddinaround wrote
do you have a criminal record? Maybe the city of Kingston remembers you

oh that must be it. Lol jks jks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ultraman Ultraman
how do we find out how high we are on the waitlist?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ayani Ayani

@Ultraman wrote
how do we find out how high we are on the waitlist?

Maybe you can phone in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
How do you know if you're wait listed?

And same, 94.5% (IB diploma) top 6 = 3 maths, 2 sciences, english -____-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ayani Ayani

@jessiexo wrote

Um it tells you on the Queen's website. This is what it looks like:
University Decision: We would like to offer you a place on the waitlist for this program.

You are part of a select group of candidates whose applications may be considered for an offer at a later date. Please advise if you would like to be placed on the waitlist for this program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jessiexo wrote

dont you need to have a grade 12 humanities course to meet the course variety requirements? I had to add one cause I only had a bunch of math/science courses, plus English of course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ayani Ayani

@Ultraman wrote

@jessiexo wrote

dont you need to have a grade 12 humanities course to meet the course variety requirements? I had to add one cause I only had a bunch of math/science courses, plus English of course.

Then if you didn't meet the requirements... you would have been rejected instead
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ayani wrote

@Ultraman wrote

@jessiexo wrote

Then if you didn't meet the requirements... you would have been rejected instead

I'm from bc. not sure if it's different in Ontario. I guess if thats also a requirement for Jess then it's gg for her/him.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whatnow123 whatnow123
I was wait listed as well. 92% average and strong EC's.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of speedy48 speedy48
i was waitlisted as well (91 average) but after meetin the 87 our averages don't matter too much... just depends how well we wrote our pse. i thought i wrote it pretty well but i guess it wasn't what they were looking for. Have any of you guys called in to see where you are on the wait list?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ayani Ayani

@speedy48 wrote
i was waitlisted as well (91 average) but after meetin the 87 our averages don't matter too much... just depends how well we wrote our pse. i thought i wrote it pretty well but i guess it wasn't what they were looking for. Have any of you guys called in to see where you are on the wait list?

I honestly thought my PSE was good. I had people check it over (including my university counselor). I haven't called yet... their admin hours are pretty limited. I believe they stop answering phones after 4 o'clock.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
The only logical explanation is that your essays and ECs weren't sufficient. What you might've thought as good may have several grammatical errors and/or lacked substance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11

@Ayani wrote

@IanSharer wrote
The only logical explanation is that your essays and ECs weren't sufficient. What you might've thought as good may have several grammatical errors and/or lacked substance.

I'm head of student council, I've been on the badminton team for 4 years, I've been on DECA for 2 years - got top 10 in my category @ regionals and top 20 @ provincials, I am a part of student band, wind ensemble, choir, and jazz band. I have been on student life council for 3 years...

Maybe they know how useless those ECs are. Student Council does nothing, badminton is hardely a sport, deca is the only good one, band choir ect, nobody shows up to that, and it's like 1 hour per week. Also you have no part time job, which indicates that you have no experience being part of a business, or managing your money ect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
^^^lol...badminton is hard dude i suck at that sport.... But honestly keep waiting? I mean it doesnt make any sense but you can also refer to the kids who were rejected by waterloo engineering. Admissions are messed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca
well this happens everywhere
i know someone who has 95% avg got rejected by sauder last week
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of halestorm29 halestorm29
not to be too harsh, but your PSE most likely just wasn't judged to be at the same standard as others who were accepted. some may underestimate how much queen's weighs the PSE, but i'm pretty sure after you meet the minimum requirement they really try to grasp you as an individual by looking at the PSE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@halestorm29 wrote
not to be too harsh, but your PSE most likely just wasn't judged to be at the same standard as others who were accepted. some may underestimate how much queen's weighs the PSE, but i'm pretty sure after you meet the minimum requirement they really try to grasp you as an individual by looking at the PSE.

Their PSE is in a terrible format though. 90 letters to explain work experience? Like come on how can I summarize 4 years in 90 letters? It's bologna.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@halestorm29 wrote

As a person who got waitlisted, it was not just myself but a few people I know from various schools who got waitlisted/rejected and they had amazing acceptances outside of QC (Math/CA, AFM-PA, Mac Health Sci etc.), EC's, academics, and wrote amazing essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@Username81 wrote

@halestorm29 wrote

Their PSE is in a terrible format though. 90 letters to explain work experience? Like come on how can I summarize 4 years in 90 letters? It's bologna.

perhaps u can call them and tell them to change it? lol if thats the way queens want it and u want to go to queens then u need to do it that way... everyone gets the same format, dont complain bud : ) just be patient and wait, u didnt get REJECTED! Dont lose hope!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ToiTeam ToiTeam

@Ayani wrote
The subject pretty much explains itself.

That is indeed very surprising. Thus, that proves the amount of emphasis they have towards PSE. I just Got accepted with 90.8%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
I was waitlisted with a 96.3%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mauds mauds
Queens definitely puts a lot of emphasis on their PSE, which is why it is required by ALL applicants. I know for a fact they look at your spelling, and thus it is extremely important.
However another important fact that a lot of people seem to be forgetting, is the reputation of your high school. I believe it was mentioned before in another thread, but this is quite important. If they (or any school for that matter) have accepted students from your high schools and most/all have performed poorly (and perhaps even dropped out), it gives an indication as to the quality of your high schools education.

As it has been noted before, acceptances will be going out for at least a couple more days (if not for another week). Some people will decline their offer, and so more spots will be open.
Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster

@Ayani wrote

@IanSharer wrote

I'm head of student council, I've been on the badminton team for 4 years, I've been on DECA for 2 years - got top 10 in my category @ regionals and top 20 @ provincials, I am a part of student band, wind ensemble, choir, and jazz band. I have been on student life council for 3 years...

That's not good at all. I recall, my management group, every single one of us (5 of us) were all Student Council heads. There are hordes of kids at QC who made it to internationals in DECA, and we have 3 DECA Ontario Execs from last year in 2014 class. Top 10 regionals and top 20 provincials is a joke.

Band... Enough kids in QC with level 9 RCM, regional/ontario/national honour bands, regional/provincial/national level sport teams.. You ECs, honestly, are mediocre. Get off your high horse and be realistic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0