yconic - WATERLOO AFM 2018 ACCEPTANCES
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

WATERLOO AFM 2018 ACCEPTANCES

Hey guys, university applications to Waterloo AFM have just begun!  

Please post about the following :
-Projected grade 12 average
-grade 11 average
-EC'S  
-Date of admission beginning February
-Interview outcome if available
 -Other universities of interest 

About Myself... 
-Projected grade 12 average 93.5%-95% 
-Grade 11 average 93% ( included 3 grade 12 courses, economics, business leadership, grade 12 english) 
-EC'S: Deca, president of accounting and financial management club, president of investment club, coach for school tennis team, coach for school baseball team, badminton team, ultimate frisbee team (fall and spring seasons), part time job as a tennis stuart, weekly childcare worker at my church.
-Also interested in Queen's, Laurier, Ivey, Rotman, Telfer, Sprott 

Good luck to all! Hope to see you next year!  
Was this helpful? Yes 1
93 replies

AHH DUDE U SEEM SO PERFECT.... U WILL GET IN NO PROBLEM
Was this helpful? Yes 0

First year AFM student, if you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out but you look like you have an amazing shot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Martha do alot of people apply to this program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, it is quite a competitive program;however, not as competitive as Queens or Ivey!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hello, I wanted to ask, if you think i could get into AFM, and if there’s anything I should work on.

Grade 11 Marks:
Math 98 
Accounting 98 
Religion 97 
Comp Sci. 93 
French 86 
Physics 81 
Chem 80 
English 80 
Top 6 Average : 92 

Projected Grade 12 Marks:
French 85 
English 85 
Adv. Functions 97 
Calculus 96 
Accounting 96
Religion 96 
Data 92 (already completed)
Top 6 Average: 93.6%

ECs: 
 VP of DECA for three years 
 Sunday School since 2004
 Work Since March 2017
 Investment Club since Sept 2017
 Chaplaincy Team since Sept 2017
 Social Inclusion Club since Sept 2017 

Volunteering: 
 DECA fundraising coordinator past two years
 Church construction volunteer
 Bible School Group Leader for past two years

More stuff to come like:
Anti bullying week event coordinator as part of the social inclusion club and the chaplaincy team 

I’m also pretty nervous about the AFMAA; do you have any pointers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

that's a solid application, no need to fret about it or anything, heck all I ever did was volunteering at a hospital and that was basically all my extracurricular. you're gonna get it unless you somehow screwed up your AIF lmao
Was this helpful? Yes 1

lol thank you, are you an AFM student? ^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes I'm in second year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Any tips for the AFMAA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got questions like: tell me about a difficult situation when you were working in a group 
Why choose AFM
Who is the most influential person you have met
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Thank you!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How did you do in those grade 12 courses that you've already completed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Grade 12 english: 88
Economics: 94
Business leadership: 97
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also a first-year AFM student,  you have a solid chance of getting in, just keep your marks high and enjoy Grade 12 while it lasts. My one regret is that I stressed out so much in Grade 12, that I didn't get to enjoy the last couple of months with friends that I grew up with, who are now at different universities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you for the great advice! How are you finding AFM so far? Whats the workload like?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey Jason!

So far, my first year has been great, the content taught in the first term is all review if you have taken Economics and Accounting back in high school, it shouldn't be difficult to get over 85+.  As far as the workload is concerned, 

The workload and the atmosphere are different in university compared to high school. For example, on a given day, I would be in class for an average of 4 hours. However, for those 4 hours, I would work for any number of hours of the course material. The homework structure is really based on your own preferences. For me, I set up weekly deadlines as opposed to daily deadlines, so if I had more or less on a given day, I could compensate for it on the weekends. I also used Sunday as a day to plan for the coming week. In university, all of the material to be taught is uploaded or in the textbook, so I would spend more time on concepts that I was unfamiliar with.

If you are interested in attending the University of Waterloo for the AFM program, I highly recommend that you take Data, Accounting, and Economics, as it will make your first year slightly easier, as you can spend more time on concepts that you might be unfamiliar with. In the first year, 9 of the 10 courses are already decided, and you can choose 1 elective in the 2nd term, so far, my most challenging course up to date is Financial Accounting as the exams are slightly more analytical and not as straightforward like the questions from the textbook.

Lastly, one lesson university has taught me so far is that it is okay to fail, as long as you keep on growing, learning and not making the same mistakes over and over. The hardships I faced in University has allowed me to push beyond what I think can achieve.

Overall, for right now, I advise that you keep your grades high in Grade 12, enjoy the clubs and social life high school has to offer, as before you know it, you will be graduating come June. 

Best of luck with the application process!, and if you have any other questions regarding the AFM program, feel free to reach out to me.

Hope this helps! 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Thank you so much Saad! Your response was full of valuable information and tips that I will pay much attention to. Are you planning on doing the 5 year MAac program? Also did you go to AFM primarily because of the accounting or finance focus or a bit of both?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Glad to help!

As things stand right now, I do intend on doing the MAcc program at the University of Waterloo as after evaluating all my options in high school, I decided to pursue a degree in Accounting as it correlates to the strengths that I possess.

I chose the AFM program due to many reasons, one of them being Waterloo's co-op program which, is because, in today's day and age, employers value experience more than anything, especially due to the fact, competition for job placements is fierce. The AFM program allows students to go on 4 co-op work-terms starting from the 2nd year, hence, allows for the implementation of concepts learned in the classroom in the real world.

In addition, my interests and passion for Accounting and Finance is another factor to why I decided to attend the AFM program. The AFM program provides students one of the fastest routes to achieving their CPA designation, as seen through the co-op the university has to offer. In addition, Waterloo has a growing finance brand, which, means students can also pursue a CFA designation if they are interested and I've seen many students who attended Waterloo who is now working in big finance companies. 

Overall, I chose Waterloo over other business programs, due to their co-op opportunities, provides a faster route to achieving a CPA designation, and allows students to apply concepts taught in the classroom in the real world.

Hope that helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Awesome! Those are all great aspects which make AFM an amazing program. Best of luck in your first year! Hope all your co-op placements go well!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks, Jason!, had mid-terms going on, so I couldn't respond right away. I hope you enjoy your school year and hopefully, your application process goes well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How is the social life at Waterloo? Is it hard to get a finance co-op (IB, PE)?
Are there many South Asians in the program/Uni?
How does AFM compare to Laurier BBA?
If you could go back, which uni would you attend (considering you got into all the schools you applied to)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey,
Waterloo AFM has so many different co-op opportunities whether you are looking at accounting of finance such as IB. They have one of the biggest co-op programs in the Canada and around the world, therefore, if you qualify for co-op you should be fine! Many have the perception that the social life at Waterloo isn't very great, as everyone just studies; however, I can't really give my personal opinion as I am still in high school. AFM and Laurier BBA are both great options for an undergrad in business. Personally, if you are more interested in accounting I strongly recommend AFM as they have the MAac accounting program. Overall, both schools have a great reputation and many co-op placements. 
Hope to see you next year at AFM and good luck on your applications! 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

WTF is Sprott and Telfer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sprott - Carleton's business school
Telfer - University of Ottawa's b school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I have never heard of them before you told me. They must be crap I imagine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Telfer has a better reputation than Sprott currently, however they are far from being crap schools. They are both decent schools, telfer being slightly more elite.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, 
I completely agree. Honestly I will probably just go to Telfer or Sprott even if I get into my other more competitive programs. Sprott also has a MAac program similar to AFM; therefore, I feel Sprott would be a better fit for me to do accounting. Sprott CPA exam pass rate is also much higher compared to Telfer and Sprott is accredited by the CPA organization where as Telfer is not. In addition, if money is an issue keep in mind that Sprott offers extremely generous sentence scholarships as you get you entrance scholarship based from high school grades for all four years. However, at Telfer you only get your first scholarship based on high school and the rest is based on university grades where 2k/year is the max after first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does Waterloo do early acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, they do, early round of offers take place in late February on the basis of your final 1st-semester marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What kind of average do they look for during the early acceptance period?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey Keshika,
Based on last year's AFM thread for early acceptance, most student had 90+ average with decent ec's. I remember seeing many 92s and 93 and a few 97s here and there. Just remember it isnt all based on marks as they evaluate the AIF and AFMAA; however, a 90+ average does help greatly!
Good luck and hope to see you next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I was wondering if i could get into AFM?  My marks are  
Adv. functions 84,  
calc,84  
English 83  
sports marketing 90  
I.B 93  
Challenge and Change 94 ( expected )
If you do the calculation that come to a 88% avg. Keep in mind I have above avg EC such as internship at both law and accounting firms,coach for youth basketball, played varsity basketball, DECA, Debate team, MSA president, over 250 volunteer hours ***Also was wondering about if i could get into Brock Bacc Co-op or BBA laurier 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

AFM looks for averages in the mid 80s so you should be okay. I've also heard of multiple people getting in with high 80's. Your EC'S look great! So try and bump up your grades a little bit to increase your chances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

AFM first year just to add AFM doesn’t really look for grades in the mid 80s, they have accepted some people with that average but their ec’s were amazing, A high 80 low 90 is much more realistic!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, thank you for the clarification Martha. I meant to say that on the Waterloo website the cut off is mid 80's, so the actual admission average is higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You have a very solid chance of getting into AFM and Brock Bacc. Laurier's BBA program has a cutoff of 89%, so try to work hard on your Math and English courses :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello my current grade 12 marks are:
Chem: 80
English: 83
French:83
Data management: 90
Calculus and vectors: 94
Advanced functions: 98
It's exactly 88% average.
This is my first report card which they won't look at(they will look at my January one) so I think I can improve a bit.
EC's: air cadets for 3-4 years, library volunteer for 2 years, senior boys soccer team, open eyes club, food drive group, volunteer for Carefor, volunteer for Educate and Feed Communities Foundation.
I also go to colonel by secondary school(not in ib but cb has good reputation I heard).
Will I be able to get into Waterloo AFM with my current situation?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello,
I think you have a decent chance of being accepted to AFM! I would especially focus on boosting up your english mark, but other than that you other grades such as math are excellent. I go to Bell High School which also has a good reputation; however, I am not sure whether or not Waterloo would favor one school over an another.
Hope to see you next year and good luck with your application! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey y'all I was wondering what's my chances of getting into accounting and Finance at Waterloo this year. 
My grade 11 marks weren't the greatest averaging just about an 80 because i was fooling around for the majority.
 But here is my gr12 Semester 1 English - 90  
Advanced Functions - 76 but i can bring that up because i got a 60 on a test for which i didn't study but my teacher knows i can do better
Economics - 90  
Semester 2 projected
Calculus - 80-85
Accounting - 95-99 my school's accounting teacher is stupid easy
Challenge and change - 90  
Overall average: 88-90 EC'S: SAC GR12 REPRESENTATIVE, MADE DECA ICDC ONCE, VOLUNTEERED FOR LOCAL CHURCHES AND LOCAL ELECTIONS, VOLUNTEERED AT A DATABASE RESEARCH, CADETS, VOLUNTEERED TO TEACH KIDS ENGLISH IN CHINA FOR 2 WEEKS, TOOK MUSIC REPETOIRE, The local election was basically handing out fliers and telling people to vote for the guy. 
Thanks!! Please give me your thoughts and opinions on what's the chances of getting in and what other alternatives there are. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think you have a solid chance if you can get your AF mark up a bit to at least 80. Your EC's are solid, especially if you know how to talk about them. Some other programs you should apply to include: Brock Accounting and Laurier BBA. Just a thought.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey,
I think your a strong candidate for AFM! Your grades are pretty good and your ec's are excellent! Work and hard and try and get you AF mark a bit but other than that keep doing good work!
Good luck and hope to see you next year
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Anyone fill out their AIF yet? Hope the application process is going smoothly! Continue to post any questions about applications, Waterloo, or chances of being accepted.etc.
Good luck and hope to see all of you next year! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you know what is more valuable, marks or the AIF and AFMAA. I have an average of 94% in Grade 12 currently (expecting a 93% at the end of it) but I have alright ec's. These include a co-op at a local accounting firm, internship at a pharmaceutical corporation in Dubai, Debate club, DECA regionals volunteer, Finance minister of Relay for Life, youth coordinator of an event powered by the international association of Human Values for Special needs children, created 2 start-ups and attended a LOT of entrepreneurial conferences and competitions, minister of Finance at Junior Achievers and that's basically it. So I hope I get in. IVEY and AFM are my top 2 choices but IVEY seems really hard to get into and I SUCK AT WRITING ESSAYS :((((
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey,
I strongly believe that you will get into AFM as your grades and ec's are spectacular! I remember reading on a website that the AIF has the potential to boost your marks up to 5%; however, the average student gets roughly a 3/5. Don't quote me on this for sure though as AFM doesn't disclose a lot of info about this. I assume the AFMAA is graded the same, but once again im not 100% sure.  
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yea! I think AFM is my first choice! So the AIF boosts your average. That's a pretty cool system! I hope to see you too next year :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Jason Lum i asked the admission officer and she said ec's can boost 10%

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok wow I did not know that it was 10%. Thank you for informing me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh yea, do you know what the new component on the AFMAA is? Online Trait Assessment?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey,
So essentially the AFMAA is comprised of two different sections: the online interview and the trait assessment. According to the Waterloo AFM website it's a 78 question online survey that is to be filled out after the interview. It should take approximately 10 minutes and is used to assess your potential in the areas of leadership, collaboration, adaptability and problem solving. 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

So much work for one program! GEEZ!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yup it's quite a bit of work LOL. It's a pretty competitive program but once you get in your set!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Projected Grade 12 Average - 90%
Grade 11 Average - 87%
EC’s -3-4 Year’s of Taekwondo, 2 Year’s of demonstration team, science club, participated in Waterloo math and physics competions, rugby team. Volunteered at Tamil cultural events. 
Other universities of interest- Laurier, York, University of Toronto Scarborough, Ryerson

What are my odds like??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ryerson and UofT Scarborough are guaranteed. For Schulich, you want to bring your average up to at least 92 maybe 93 to be competitive. Laurier BBA will most likely have a cutoff of around 91, so if you can meet that, you should be good. Why not try and apply to Queen's Commerce? Yes, it has a 6% acceptance rate, but all you need is 87% and just know how to really talk about your extracurriculars for the supplementary. There's a lot of trolls on this forum saying Queen's Comm or bust, but its honestly up to you. You'll still get opportunities at these other schools, but Queen's Commerce is on a tier above all of them.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I agree with the post above. Your ec's and marks gives you a great shot for AFM, Ryerson, and UofT Scarborough. Schulich and laurier might be tougher but still a decent chance! 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Jason Lum, thank you for the encouragement! Hope to see you next year as well.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

No problem mate! Good luck with you application and I hope to see you next year as well!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Questions for anyone in AFM:
What maths do you take year 2 & 3 and how math heavy is this program. I think it’s very heavy in math but I wanna make sure 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello, 
I will try and get an AFM student as soon as possible to answer your great question! From my knowledge and research I do not believe that AFM is extremely math heavy (still will take some math courses), since many accounting and finance courses take up a lot of the courses. Programs that are very heavy in math would be more like math CPA dual degree and FARM. Here is a link on the Waterloo website where you can see the course sequences for each different year at AFM! 
https://uwaterloo.ca/school-of-accounting-and-finance/accounting-and-financial-management-afm-degree-requirements
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Grade 11 grades were bunk i fooled around alot but i picked it up in grade 12
Grade 12 Marks projected:
Adv Func: 82
English:80
Int Business:92
Law: 75(shouldnt have taken it but it wont be part of my top six)
Calc:85
French Immersion: 90
Economics:90
Accounting: 90
Top 6 Average including prerequisites: 86.5
Ec’s: Youth soccer coach at a competitive level. Grade 7 soccer referee whos been selected for the national training program, varsity boys soccer team member, debate team member. My biggest ec is the reffing tho cuz I got selected for a rlly prestigious program.
Do you think i have good chance of getting in?
Could someone provide more info about the supplementary part, i think i can nail the vid interview its mainly my marks im concerned about.

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey,
From my point of view your ec's are excellent, but some of your marks are a bit on the lower end. Therefore, continue to work hard and try to boost up your marks a bit to solidify your chances. Good luck and hope to see you next year! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You should try to bring up that advanced functions mark as well as the English mark to guarantee a spot. Other than that  your ec's seem quite good and you will probably be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

What would you thinka reasonable adv func mark would be, also i took eng4u in the summer so i cant change it :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey,
 Keep in mind AFM looks for mid 80s averages and a 75 in english, functions, and calc. However, in reality the majority of people who get accepted have higher marks compared to those listed above as admission averages vs. required averages always differ by quite a bit. Continue to study to boost up your math marks and you should be ok!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Is the trait assessment recorded or is it just like a multiple choice questionnaire?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It is an online survey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Jason Xu, have you done the online trait assessment for Waterloo? If so, how was it?

Also how do you think my chances are acceptance are? I have a 96 average (99 FUNC, 97 PHY, 96 ECON, 92 ENG) with an internship at an accounting firm, volunteer experince, and helped organize an event at my school, and i'm part of two clubs.  Also I have around 8 academic awards 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why do you even feel the need to ask? That's going to be like guaranteed acceptance and possible entrance scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No, I haven't done the online interview or trait assessment. Your grades and ECs are great and I think you have a very highs chance of being admitted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys, does anyone know if the AFMAA is just an interview and the trait assessment? For some reason I thought there was a written essay component. Also, according to Waterloo's website there is only 1 interview question to be answered, but I thought we had to answer 3 questions. Anyone know anything more about that?
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They change it up every few years, this year we have been lucky enough to have to only answer 1 question for the interview and on top of that have the chance to prepare for the question in advance as it has already been given to us.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I didn't know that wither I regionally thought it was three questions as well. Has any of you guys done the AFMAA yet? If so please post about it thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I guess we lucked out! I have not done the AFMAA yet, planning to do it soon though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

https://uwaterloo.ca/school-of-accounting-and-finance/afmaa-instructions

Click on the link and read it. it says explicitly "you will respond to one interview question" and "one" is even in bold. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Hey everyone, I've completed my AIF and so I was wondering how do I do the AFMAA. Is there a link they are supposed to send you via email or what? Thanks for your help in advance. :)))
Was this helpful? Yes 0

there's an additional $50 that you have to pay before you get access to the AFMAA. Did you pay for it yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got an email that said some details about the AFMAA from Waterloo. Haven't done it yet cause i have been procrastinating a bit:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How do I pay the additional $50 fee?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

NVM, I got the email lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Good luck mate! Post how it goes:)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Will not having grade 12 accounting in your top six hinder your chances of getting accepted to AFM???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just to clarify are you saying that accounting is not one of your best grades or did you not take it at all? The pre reqs are English, Calc and AF with data and accounting to be recommended in that top 6. If your Ec's and other marks are pretty good I really wouldn't worry about not having accounting as one of the higher marks. My only concern is that if you didn't take accounting at all you will have to play a bit of catch up during your first year. I have heared of many students entering AFM with no prior business knowledge; therefore, I wouldn't sweat not having accounting in your top 6.
Good luck with your application and hope to see you next year! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have taken accounting it's just not as high as my other marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok, well I wouldn't be to worried mate I am sure you will get in! I am taking accounting too at the moment:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do you think my chances are of getting into AFM at waterloo. I am currently taking 3 grade 12 courses with 2 completed
Advanced functions: 90%
Data Management: 97%
Drama: 90%
 Gr.12 Law: 94%
Gr. 12 English:95%

Grade 11 average was 93% ( with functions as 93%, english as 90%, accounting as 98%)

EC's are: Captain of the varsity soccer team, Captain of varsity volleyball team, Mock Bail Team,  Manager of Student activity council, Av Crew Member, producer/assistant director of all film products at my school, part of set crew.

I've received many awards and I've worked as a A/P A/R specialist at a pharmaceutical as well as a life guard/swim instructor.

I had a decent AIF and a really good AFMAA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wait you are only taking 5 courses?
They look at your top 6 courses in grade 12 and calculus and vectors is a required course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have calculus and vectors, accounting and drama next semester
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think you have  a really good chance of being accepted. Your marks and ECs are excellent. Good luck mate!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just curious what was the question they asked you for your AFMAA?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Jason Xu.
If you are asking about the interview part it's written on afmaa site that it's 'something u had to work collaboration to solve a problem'.
However if u are asking about the 70 something questions after the interview I would love to know as well :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank I just realised they posted the question on the website. I am also curious bout the trait though.
Good luck with their AFMAA everyone! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0