yconic - Waterloo AFM Cutoff?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo AFM Cutoff?

A photo of brandonholmes brandonholmes
So last year I was snooping around the boards, and I was noticing a lot of people saying that the cutoff for Waterloo AFM was mid-to-high 80's and thus dropped it as a possibility for me. However this year the Waterloo website said low-to-mid 80's is the cutoff!

Is this just bull, or did Waterloo drop the cutoff alot?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Schools always say a generous range for their cutoff because each year's cutoff is based on the applicant pool. Theoretically, it's possible (though highly unlikely) for the cutoff to be in the low to mid 80s if all the applicants have lower averages.

Assume that it's in the high 80s and do as well as you can. Remember that the AFMAA and the supplementary are also really important for your admission. Best of luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
AFM doesn't really have a cutoff. There is a cutoff to get an invite to the AFMAA (~83/84 last year), but otherwise there is no actual cutoff.

That being said, the likelihood of getting into CA with a mid-80 is very low, and although the chances are better, even the likelihood of getting into Biz & Finance with a mid-80 isn't overly high.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
A friend of mine got into AFM last year, she said although the website says low to mid 80s, waterloo usually selects candidates with high 80s to mid 90s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Would you guys happen to know anything about the BBA/BCs WLC/UW double degree? I'm pretty interested, but once again that book says mid-80's and I'm hearing high-80's low 90's. Same kinda concept?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Joshki wrote
A friend of mine got into AFM last year, she said although the website says low to mid 80s, waterloo usually selects candidates with high 80s to mid 90s.

Yes, what the website and admissions booklets state is the average required to get an invite to write the AFMAA.

The admission average for AFM-PA (now Chartered Accountancy) was reportedly 92 two years ago, while the average for AFM-FM (now Business & Finance) was reportedly 89 in the same year. No word on the averages for last year (my year), but if I had to guess I'd say about the same, maybe a little higher even (I highly doubt it would have dropped).

The "cutoff" for the AFMAA will likely be the same as well.

Re WLU/UW DD averages: I've never heard of someone getting in with mid-80s (that 83.5-86.5 range). High 80s to low 90s (87 and up) is much more accurate.

If you get in with a high 80, it will be because you have great ECs. If your ECs are lacking, you will need a 90+ average.

It's possible that you could be considered with a mid-80 (if that's what the book says, I guess), but the chances of you getting in are probably very, very slim.
Was this helpful? Yes 0