yconic - Waterloo AFM: Financial Management (Program Code: WFM) VS Chartered Accountancy (Program Code: WPA)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo AFM: Financial Management (Program Code: WFM) VS Chartered Accountancy (Program Code: WPA)

A photo of ts3 ts3
Hey!

I'm thinking of applying to many business schools, and one of them is Waterloo, specifically Waterloo's AFM program.

I just want to know:

What is the difference between WFM and WPA???

And maybe the Pros and Cons of each.

Thank You in advance!!! :bounce: :salut:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of g93 g93
WPA/Chartered Accountancy (formerly Public Accounting) and WFM/Business & Finance (formerly Financial Management) are both co-op options as part of AFM. You apply to the co-op option from high school. Select WPA if you want to apply for co-op positions at public accounting firms, and select WFM if you want to apply for co-op positions within businesses, not-for-profit organizations and government entities.

WPA has roughly 85 spots while WFM has 215. The competition to get into WPA is slightly higher.

If you want to apply for jobs in accounting firms (as most people do), WPA is ideal but both programs will afford you good opportunities.

For more information, check out the 2012 SAF Brochure: http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/brochures/2012/AFM/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ts3 ts3
Thanks so much!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction

@ts3 wrote
Hey!

I'm thinking of applying to many business schools, and one of them is Waterloo, specifically Waterloo's AFM program.

I just want to know:

What is the difference between WFM and WPA???

And maybe the Pros and Cons of each.

Thank You in advance!!! :bounce: :salut:

As g93 said, PA students get exclusive access to applying to CA Training office that FM students are excluded from on our online job portal (Jobmine).

Furthermore, the School of Accounting and Finance runs Winter CA night and Fall CA night, where the national 6 firms/smaller firms come as a recruiting opportunity. These networking events are crucial as the firms pretty much select people to interview based on their networking skills. ONLY PA students (which are AFM-PA, Math/CA and Biotech/CA) have access to going to these events.

While it is possible to get a CA Training Office job in the FM co-op option, it is much more difficult (I would say around 20ish out of the 215 get it per year).

If you're not sure if you want to pursue a CA designation or not, I would still apply to the PA co-op option first as you have more opportunities.

As for your pros/cons...both programs are IDENTICAL except for the co-op option available and the things I have listed above.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ts3 ts3
Alrighty, thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Don't go to Waterloo they're just ripping you off!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ts3 ts3
Why do you say that??
Was this helpful? Yes 0