yconic - WATERLOO AFM MATH
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

WATERLOO AFM MATH

A photo of akshaypatt akshaypatt
Hey guys I'm kind of intimidated by the math I'm going to have to do if I choose to go to the waterloo afm program. I've already got into the Schulich BBA program and I really like it, but I'm set on getting the CA designation and I know waterloo is the best for it. Can anyone give me advice on how the math is in the AFM program at waterloo?

On a side note can anyone tell me about how the social lifestyle is at waterloo afm? I heard that all people do is study and no one helps each other out
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
Don't worry, it's pretty basic math. It's mostly a review of Grade 12 functions/calc, with a few bells and whistles. There's integration, which is probably the only big topic people didn't do, but you only briefly touch on it. The class average in the course has been quite high in the past. They do put hard questions on the midterms and final and stuff, but a lot of people found it a walk-in-the-park, and as long as your math skills are good you should be able to get 75-80 no problem (as in the absolute minimum if you try).

There's also a stats course you now take in first year. It's tougher than MATH 109, but totally doable. The average is somewhere around 71 right now I think.

The social life is what you make of it. The students, in general, are pretty good. There's lots of fun things to do, there's lots of people to hang out with, and you can go outside of the SAF community and there's even more of each. The Accounting and Finance Student Association has all types of events, some academic related, and some purely fun (last week they went and played laser tag). There's clubs and committees you can join, etc. In general I would say the SAF community is pretty supportive (at least at this point). There's a facebook page for the Class of 2016 and everyone asks questions and there's always people willing to answer them on there, volunteer to help explain it to someone, send notes to someone who missed class when they were sick, or post some study notes for the exams. It's definitely a decent community. I've heard that as you go for co-op it gets more cut-throat at times, but I haven't experienced any of that for the most part.

Edit: the program's not super-intensive, so there's plenty of time to get involved or just relax. You won't be studying 24/7- if you are, you better have a 99 average of you're studying wrong ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0