yconic - Waterloo AFM Questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo AFM Questions

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey

For those in AFM at Waterloo, I have a couple questions:

1) When do you get to choose your courses? As soon as you accept?

2) Are some of the courses/times full or anything, since AFMers get acceptances later than most? Any disadvantage?

3) So everyone has to take 1 language elective: which is the easiest/hardest?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of North North
Course selection for first year student begins in July (I believe it is July 11th this year).

2) Are some of the courses/times full or anything, since AFMers get acceptances later than most? Any disadvantage?
All 1st year students can being course selection then so you aren't at any disadvantage for getting acceptances in May while other prgrams start accepting in December.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote
Course selection for first year student begins in July (I believe it is July 11th this year).

All 1st year students can being course selection then so you aren't at any disadvantage for getting acceptances in May while other prgrams start accepting in December.

Thanks North :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@johnnycanuck wrote

@North wrote

No problem - it is somewhat confusing but more information is available on the UW website. http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/thenextstep/admitted/classes.php
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@North wrote

No problem - it is somewhat confusing but more information is available on the UW website. http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/thenextstep/admitted/classes.php

I'm not sure how I missed that :bounce: The link leads to other links, they're exactly what I was looking for and very helpful.

The one page talks about picking courses... and for AFM it shows for Fall 2011, but it doesn't say anything about Winter 2011. Seeing as you've been accepted to UW- do you know if there's something weird where you don't pick courses for winter term until later? The only thing i can think of is either those steps aren't included, or maybe because for AFM you only have one elective and maybe that is only in fall.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. You pick winter courses in fall.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
I'm not 100% positive on this but I believe that at UW they just pick courses 1 term at a time. It would make sense due to the amount of students leaving for co-op and returning from work-terms each semester.

I also remember my sister having to pick courses each term (she's in arts & business) but agian I'm not sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction

@johnnycanuck wrote
Hey

Thanks

The other guy already posted the gist of it, here's more details.

1) You guys get access to moving around courses in July for Fall 2011 classes. The new AFM program has no electives whatsoever in first year, so you'll only be able to move around classes to get a better schedule

2) All UW students start picking in July, so there's no disadvantage.

3) You take a language elective in 2nd year now (due to the addition of a finance course in first year and moving stats up to first year). From what I heard, beginners french/spanish is the easiest, but if you took them in high school, you have to take the harder one. The hardest languages I heard are korean, chinese and russian.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Junction wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote
Hey

Thanks

The other guy already posted the gist of it, here's more details.

1) You guys get access to moving around courses in July for Fall 2011 classes. The new AFM program has no electives whatsoever in first year, so you'll only be able to move around classes to get a better schedule

2) All UW students start picking in July, so there's no disadvantage.

3) You take a language elective in 2nd year now (due to the addition of a finance course in first year and moving stats up to first year). From what I heard, beginners french/spanish is the easiest, but if you took them in high school, you have to take the harder one. The hardest languages I heard are korean, chinese and russian.

Thanks.

So there's no electives in First year?

http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/ARTS-BAFM-Degree-Requirements Here it lists only 9 courses that start with 1... unless you take a course that starts with 2 in first year? :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction

@johnnycanuck wrote

Thanks.

http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/ARTS-BAFM-Degree-Requirements Here it lists only 9 courses that start with 1... unless you take a course that starts with 2 in first year? :scratch:

That would be Stat211. We used to take it in the 2A term, they changed it for you guys so they can push finance courses earlier in the curriculum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Junction wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Thanks.

That would be Stat211. We used to take it in the 2A term, they changed it for you guys so they can push finance courses earlier in the curriculum.

Ok, thanks for your help!

That makes choosing electives easy :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jayce3 jayce3
can you take distance ed. language courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jayce3 wrote
can you take distance ed. language courses?

Do you mean in 1st year, or just anytime? French, German and Spanish are available online.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
http://www.quest.uwaterloo.ca/undergraduate/dates_2011-2012.html

Class Enrollment Period for students enrolling for the first time at Waterloo July 11-24
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KevinL KevinL
Can someone with a 75 in English,a 90+ average, a good AIF and a well written AFMAA get into the program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0