yconic - Waterloo AIF Math Contests
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo AIF Math Contests

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith
For the math contests section, is it better to check off the contest you did, but show the bad mark, or not check off the contest at all?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
40 replies

A photo of blackjack blackjack
hmm I think they'd rather have you do one of their contests and get a bad mark than not doing one at all
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
Doing it is better than not doing it, no matter what mark you get.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith

@Arctic wrote
Doing it is better than not doing it, no matter what mark you get.

I got like 35/80 on the sun life contest lmao. should I still show it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
Go for it. There are no negative points.

Actually, I think you get bonus points just for attempting it at all. If you're still not sure, just send them an email. If you're ultra-paranoid, just use an email that's not traceable to your application (doughfritter234329u523@gmail.com).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I haven't looked at the AIF yet but for contests - are there distinguishable between checking off math contests that you've done and what you plan to do? For e.g. Euclid - Do they ask you only if you've wrote it or both?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
I haven't looked at the AIF yet but for contests - are there distinguishable between checking off math contests that you've done and what you plan to do? For e.g. Euclid - Do they ask you only if you've wrote it or both?

they ask you what you've done in the past and your score, and also what you plan to write in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
what if you don't remember your scores?
and for the awards/distinctions section, is it necessary to put honour roll? because it's kind of obvious if you got it or not based on your marks. and if they do, do we have to put it in for every single year? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
oh ya and if you're taking a course outside of school (saturday school/night school), do we add it to the institutions attended? or are they just asking for normal day school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
Does Waterloo get pissed off if you submit your AIF later (but before March)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I asked my math department head what my scores for the past years were. Hmm I put down honour roll because theres no harm in putting it, although I only wrote it once.

And they say to submit the AIF 3 weeks after they tell you to, but that's only a recommendation. Do it before the deadline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@blackjack wrote

And they say to submit the AIF 3 weeks after they tell you to, but that's only a recommendation. Do it before the deadline.

it's weird when they say 3 weeks after acknowledgment because the AIF didn't even come out then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Haru wrote

@blackjack wrote

it's weird when they say 3 weeks after acknowledgment because the AIF didn't even come out then.

I think its 3 weeks after they email you to do the AIF. they emailed me about a week ago.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@blackjack wrote

@Haru wrote

@blackjack wrote

I think its 3 weeks after they email you to do the AIF. they emailed me about a week ago.

[color=red]Fall 2011 Deadlines
If you've applied to
Deadline
Faculty of Engineering programs, including Software Engineering and excluding Architecture It is recommended that you complete your AIF by February 16, 2011. March 4, 2011, is the final deadline for submission.

Exception: If you receive your acknowledgment email after February 16th, please submit the form within 3 weeks of receiving the acknowledgment.

•Architecture
•Accounting and Financial Management
March 9, 2011, is the final deadline for submission.

•Faculty of Applied Health Sciences programs
•Faculty of Arts programs
•Faculty of Environment programs
•Faculty of Mathematics programs, including Computing and Financial Management
•Faculty of Science programs
It is recommended that you complete your AIF within 3 weeks of receiving your acknowledgment email. March 4, 2011, is the final deadline for submission.

/color]

http://findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/thenextstep/applicants/aif.php

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vincerz vincerz
I remember the gold old Euclid..
wrote it in grade 11 while I was taking advanced functions and scored a 62, which apparently was good.

Didn't want to bother with it in grade 12.

I think it helped for getting into AFM-FM (deferred from PA).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@vincerz wrote
I remember the gold old Euclid..
wrote it in grade 11 while I was taking advanced functions and scored a 62, which apparently was good.

Didn't want to bother with it in grade 12.

I think it helped for getting into AFM-FM (deferred from PA).

I should've wrote one of those. I had never really planned on going to Waterloo though. I'm guessing it's too late now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@g93 wrote
I should've wrote one of those. I had never really planned on going to Waterloo though. I'm guessing it's too late now.

Euclid is in April - Still time to register for this year if you want to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@North wrote

@g93 wrote

Euclid is in April - Still time to register for this year if you want to.

Really?

Do you know what it is on? I took AF last year, so I may be a little rusty. With calculus next semester I should sharpen up those skills a little :)

Edit: Nvm, found the old tests.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
http://www.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/contests.html

Contests are totally different than math courses. Don't expect what you learn in Calc to really help much.

Lots of it is geometry I find though. That site has everything you need to know including past contests.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@North wrote
http://www.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/contests.html

Contests are totally different than math courses. Don't expect what you learn in Calc to really help much.

Lots of it is geometry I find though. That site has everything you need to know including past contests.

Thanks, you just beat my edit :cheers:

I know it's different, but just looking at some of those questions I could answer some of them easily if I was still in AF, but might not be able to get them so fast ATM.

I like geometry. Some friends of mine going into math/physics have done them, so I will have some help and some competition there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't think you would need anything you learn in calc for euclid. I think they make the qeustions so that even if you know differentiation or integration, it will not help you. i took it last year and i got 81! :D I'll have to take it this year again since I'm applying to waterloo math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@blackjack wrote
I don't think you would need anything you learn in calc for euclid. I think they make the qeustions so that even if you know differentiation or integration, it will not help you. i took it last year and i got 81! :D I'll have to take it this year again since I'm applying to waterloo math.

Double angles killed me last year - for IB we don't need to memorize them.

I'm going to UW Math so I'm definitely writing it again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@North wrote

@blackjack wrote

I loved double angles :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote

@blackjack wrote

There were double angles? I remember there was some trig identity question. well I mean its good to memorize some formula esp the trig identities. I'm in IB tooo!! are you in HL math?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
No, our school doesn't offer HL math. Probably why almost half of our year got a 7 in SL Math...

The one trig identity question was a telescoping question on double angles. But since the contest is in April no one in IB really did any prep for it. We were all trying to memorize everything for HL Bio and HL History.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote
No, our school doesn't offer HL math. Probably why almost half of our year got a 7 in SL Math...

The one trig identity question was a telescoping question on double angles. But since the contest is in April no one in IB really did any prep for it. We were all trying to memorize everything for HL Bio and HL History.

oh really? well your school should really offer it if so many people are doing so well in SL.

Oh yes, I remember attempting that question, and failing. The only part of the question i did was the trig identity. I totally forgot i SHOULD use the first part of the question (the identity) to figure out the second part. Anyways did you do well in it last year?

Was this helpful? Yes 0