yconic - Waterloo Architecture Fall 2011 (a shot in the dark@@)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Architecture Fall 2011 (a shot in the dark@@)

A photo of cxH cxH
Hey~ So I know my chances are slim in finding anyone since the class is pretty small already (like 70 people?) but is there anybody out there going to or knows someone who will be going to Waterloo for Architecture this fall:D?

I'm mostly looking for feedback on housing~ because the actual architecture school is 30min drive away from the main campus, I have no idea if I should live on res and take the 1hour transit or go for housing around Cambridge~ also, the fact that I live in BC at the moment doesn't help muchXD

anything will help!

*crosses her fingers~*

(ps: the waterloo forums...ugh, so outdated@@ unless I'm just looking in the wrong places~)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of tom1nat0r tom1nat0r
wow you got accepted? thats so honorable and prestigious. congrats man! !!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cxH cxH
haha~ thanks>w< I didn't know the class was so small till after I applied, it freaked me out a bit but made it so much better when I got the acceptance letterC:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Roygbiver Roygbiver
Hey cxH, there's a lot of stuff to check out if you look way back in this forum.

There was a mega discussion from when people were stressing out about admission to Waterloo and other architecture schools in Canada. It's died off now but I'm sure there's a lot of useful information in there for you.
http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=3082

There are also some Facebook groups that have been made if you search for your graduating year.
Congrats!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm going to Waterloo Architecture next year! Join the fbook group if you haven't already :)

Are you going to the You@Waterloo day on the 28th? They'll have landlords and presentations regarding housing during the day so that'll help a lot with sorting out all living accomodations and whatnot. If you can't come (because you're in UBC) then I'd suggest researching up on rooms for rent in cambridge as soon as possible because I visited the school a couple days ago and a second year student told me that some students even sign with renters before the 28th because places tend to fill up pretty quickly.

Do NOT live in res on the uw campus, no one in architecture does, and it's literally impossible to commute everyday because you have 36 hours of class a week, so it would kill all your free time outside of class to work and socialize! And all the arch students rents rooms in Cambridge so you'd be missing out on bonding with everyone else in our class

One of the second year students is on this forum, she'll obviously know a lot more about all this than me, but hope it helps :) And the fbook group is really helpful

I am SO excited to be going to uwsa next year ahhhhh!!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cxH cxH

@Roygbiver wrote

/center]

OH that definitely helpsC: I guess I missed that one~ was searching through the forums for quite a bit before I tried posting~ ahh these blind asian eyes~~~

@mm11~ wrote

YAY<3 And yeah, I found the facebook group after I gave up with the actual waterloo forum which was NO help at allxD

I'm saaaad! I can't go the you@waterloo day because its the day after my red carpet grad and I'm all the way in BC~~ *sadface* but thanks for the tip about the res! Unfortunately i jumped the gun with that deposite@@ my friend was like DO IT NOW! and i was like WHAAA??? so yeah~ wonder if I can get it back...hmmm worth a try:P

Searched up a few rooms for rent around the area already~ but i dont really know any site other than the one on the waterloo web page.

BTW~ whats the SA in UWSA stand fooor? (still trying to get a hang of these acronyms@@ young adults these days~(j/k)xD)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
University of Waterloo School of Architecture
hahah
The second years said Donna is going to send an email with everything we need to know about housing so I wouldn't be worried, the school will help everyone in some way for sure!

What deposit??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cxH cxH

@mm11 wrote

/center]

LOL! wow that's a face palm~ haha, dont even know the name of my own school~ *fails*

And awesome~ *waits eagerly for that email* haha~ where do you guys find all these updates? I'm like, scouring everywhere and finding noooothinggg (until last night~ haha)

The god aweful $500 dollars that I panicked to get in cause one of my friends was like, GET IT IN NOW! and I was like Whaaaaat? But its like reservation fee for Waterloo Res's. It's supposed to be non refundable but I paid it last week so I'm emailing them to see if I can get a bit of it back~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leighann leighann
hey, i was wondering if i have a shot at getting admitted to waterloo arch next year. what are your averages? i just dont want to get my hopes up if my marks arent high enough, thanks in advance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cxH cxH
I don't really know tooo much about this. My averages are lower to mid 90's but I think you need to be well rounded to get in, as in skill wise in your portfolio and some EC's. So long as you have the right courses and your English 12 mark is high then I'd say, give it a shot. The precis test is HARSH if your English is poor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leighann leighann
can you give me a general idea of what the precis test is like? because i think i my marks would be around a low to high 90 and i have lots of work and volunteer experience and some EC.

congrats by the way. goodluck in your first year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cxH cxH
Ah, that will be one of the worst 75min (or was it 70~o.o?) you'll ever experienceC: lol, just kidding, its not TOO bad if you plan out your time well. the passage they give you will be very difficult and unless you are lucky (which i wasn't) you wont have any background knowledge in it. It may be about anything and it probably will be long. you brainstorm on your own paper and then rewrite it in your own words. try and keep it simple and to the point. I think i read that it was somewhere to 1/3 of its original length tho some schools seem to have work limits...(dont know much about this). anyways, after that you write the entire thing in one long elaborate sentenceC:
Was this helpful? Yes 0