yconic - Waterloo architecture
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo architecture

A photo of leighann leighann
hey guys, im in grade 11
im wondering what my chances are to get into the waterloo architecture program
my average right now is around high to low 90, and for my grade 12 average i plan to get around a 90 or higher average for my top 6

i work at the YMCA as a swim instructor, i get my drawing and poems published in magazines and i do a lot of volunteer work. Im in DECA a business club in school

and what other universities have good architecture programs?

thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of dinosaurbones dinosaurbones
Waterloo Architecture offers are ultimately based on your portfolio interview and precis. Your marks/extracurricular activities are looked at to determine whether or not you get an interview. Looking at what you've mentioned, I'm pretty sure you'll get an interview (the cutoff for interviews is somewhere in the 80s) but I can't say whether or not you'll get an offer. However, getting your creative work published in a magazine is very impressive! That'll probably work to your advantage, depending on what the judging panel thinks.

I've also heard that they no longer look at your average once you get an interview to consider you for an offer. Can anybody confirm this?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tealight Tealight

@dinosaurbones wrote

I've also heard that they no longer look at your average once you get an interview to consider you for an offer. Can anybody confirm this?

Yes, at the Waterloo open house presentation, the professor said they no longer look at your average after you've been offered an interview. Grades and AIFs determine who gets past the first cut and is given an interview. (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dinosaurbones dinosaurbones
Thanks for replying! I've been waiting so long for someone to answer. :)

And speaking of the open house, what did you think of Waterloo Architecture from what you saw?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yea it's a "hurtle" system at Waterloo. If you have the marks (and submitted your aif) you get an interview. If you have a good portfolio & interview, they look at your precis. If you have a good precis, you get in. That's what the professer at the open house said when I went last year. So each stage is independent and doesn't affect your admission once you're past it. For example, an amazing portfolio will not help if youre precis is ranked low - they don't consider other parts of your application when looking at your precis. Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0