yconic - waterloo architecture
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

waterloo architecture

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
i'm a student in first year architecture at waterloo and if you have any specific questions on applying (i did carleton, ryerson, mcgill, and waterloo) or info on each of these programs etc feel free to pm me
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of leighann leighann
Hey, congrats btw.
i know that waterloo has one of the best architecture undergrads in canada, and i really want to go. I might not be able to go because of of how far it is from the actual campus and from my home... but ill still apply anyways. Did you know many people who got in or is there a really slim chance of getting in?
do you mind me asking what your average was in g.12 and what you think made you stand out in your interview and portfolio?
how hard was the precis test? im fairly good at essay reading and writing, but im unsure if i'd do well on it
is there a shuttle bus of bus that goes directly from the main campus to the architecture building?
im thinking of also applying to uoft for architectural studies, do you think i should still apply there? other than architecture im thinking of applying for civil engineering

sorry, thats a lot of question, thanks for helping me out, i really appreciate it
thanks in advance :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZKevin AZKevin
1. How many art works did you provide in the portfolio? Did they look at all of them? Also, what was the majority type of art you used? Or was it all a mix? (Ex. Drawings, paintings, sculptures)...

2. Can you give me some sample questions they have on the interview? (Especially difficult ones), also, can you give me some answers you've had?

3. I've heard that your marks only count towards the interview, and they decide based on your portfolio, and précis test, as well as the interview itself. After that, your grade 12 marks don't matter. Is this true?

4. Do I need any prior architectural knowledge before applying to this? Or at least, which high school courses are most helpful for this program?

5. People say the précis test is quite hard. Any tips on how to study for it, or prepare for it?

6. Can you give me an idea of the classes you've taken so far? Or just about Architecture in general? Are your classes more focused on design workshops then classes like physics?

Thanks for reading & answering, and congrats on the admission. I heard it's a very interesting program, and I hope you do well =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@leighann
Usually about 1200-1500 people apply for about 75 spots - it is competitive but its not impossible or else no one would even bother applying...
I applied with a 91, but your marks only really count to get you an interview, after that its all about your interview, portfolio, and precis test.
The precis was a lot harder than Ryerson's, but its a pretty straightforward task so it wasn't too difficult at all in my opinion. There's really no way to prepare for it, just know what a precis is and follow the instructions they give you on the day of your interview!
There is a public transit bus that goes to main campus and every student has a free bus pass.
I don't know a lot about U of T's architecture program - just know that it is a humanities program at U of T so you would be taking a lot of humanities courses and definitely not working in a studio for at least the first few years, like you would be at McGill, waterloo, carleton, and ryerson
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cassoo cassoo
Hey everyone, quick question to those who have already been accepted... What kind of art did you include in your portfolio? I love art so I'm not worried about not being good enough, I'm just really worried about not including the kinds of things they want to see? I know they want a variety of things, but I really don't know what should and shouldn't go into my portfolio...
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
What would you say is a competitive average for McGill?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leighann leighann
i was wondering if waterloo looks at required subject's marks separately or do they only look at the average of the top 6, and what if i have a subject during second semester but i want to use it in my top 6, would they still look at it?

thanks alot,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SiobhanE SiobhanE
@Jelly,
I'm a first year architecture student at McGill and I was accepted on a 96 average, I know people who were accepted with low 90s but also people who were waitlisted or not accepted with 95s. You just need a high enough average to be eligible for the program (I believe it is around a 90) and the rest rides on your portfolio. So if you have an amazing portfolio with a 90, you'll probably have a much better chance than someone with a mediocre portfolio and a 95.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Sounds good. Based on what I've been reading it just seemed like most/all people with really high averages (95+) were accepted while a bunch on the slightly lower end (~92) weren't. The highest average in my school is around 96, so it'd be really damn hard for me to get a mid-90 average. Good to know I still have a shot at it. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cassoo
Basically you should prepare the work you're most proud of, its good to have the basics - drawing, painting, photography, but including sculpture, multimedia, installation, video pieces and other work in more experimental mediums is always a good idea because they make for a more diverse portfolio and conversations during the interview. However, don't go out of your way to make pieces for the interview that you wouldn't actually do for yourself but that you think would impress the professors. They don't look for specific things in the portfolio, there is no checklist. Show them the work you naturally make.

I'm not sure how closely they look at specific marks in required courses but I would assume your average is weighed a bit differently from your overall top 6. Interview invitations are sent out in early March usually so whatever marks they have from you at that time they'll look at.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Urnehpets Urnehpets

@alexandrasiu wrote
Hello, this is a really big favour to ask but could any of you current architecture students share your portfolio? For the reason being, so that applicants can see what's the level of QUALITY the portfolio should be at? If any of you can just share one or two of your best pieces that you submitted when applying, that'd be perfect already! I hope you will understand what I mean, that the intention is not to copy your work, but to just see how great it is and the standard in terms of the quality of the work so that we can try to aim and achieve towards that level or even beyond

Perhaps this may not be a good idea, I don't know. Or perhaps you may not be comfortable sharing your work, so that's understandable. But if it's possible, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I don't think they're going to actually share their portfolio with you considering many have asked this question before (including me), and gotten a near worthless response.

Just put your best effort into the portfolio and hope for the best! :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There is an open house TOMORROW from 10am-4pm where there will be a lot of successful portfolios on display for everyone to look through. I highly recommend you to make it if you can!
http://www.architecture.uwaterloo.ca/openhouse.html

They'll also be giving tours and presentations all day, its a really helpful experience, definitely worth your time
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Urnehpets Urnehpets

@mm11 wrote
There is an open house TOMORROW from 10am-4pm where there will be a lot of successful portfolios on display for everyone to look through. I highly recommend you to make it if you can!
http://www.architecture.uwaterloo.ca/openhouse.html

They'll also be giving tours and presentations all day, its a really helpful experience, definitely worth your time

Anyone here go to this thing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0