yconic - Waterloo BAFM Program
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo BAFM Program

A photo of thenerdyfairy thenerdyfairy
Hey! So is anyone thinking of applying to Waterloo's BAFM program? (I know it's a little bit late to apply, but I'm not applying this year)
1) What average would you have to have to have a good chance of getting in?
2) Is it really hard to get co-op with an accredited firm?
3) Which res is good to live on?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of redherring redherring
1) They say selection from the low-mid 80s (anyone with like an 83 average gets invited to the AFMAA, anyone who writes the AFMAA qualifies for acceptance), but I hear that the admission average for Business&Finance is 89 and for CA is 93. Having something around there plus good AIF/AFMAA will be good. If you have lower marks you'll probably need better AIF/AFMAA or vice versa.

2) Not overly hard if you're in CA, and a little tougher but still not that hard if you're in B&F. Not everyone gets in but apparently roughly 30-35% of CA students get Big 4 jobs. By the time you graduate from the MAcc, I think it's like 90% of students get jobs at national accounting firms (all of them are CATOs).

3) V1 has the living learning community, and that's where a lot of AFM students end up. I've heard REV is a very lively rez, that MKV is the biggest/nicest but most expensive, that CLV is really far away but nice and quiet, and UWP is the closest to the SAF building. I think that's them all. I'd suggest asking people at the AFMAA and checking them out in person when you visit next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ What do you mean by B&F and CA? Are you talking about selecting WPA or WFM on the application?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
yes redherring is. they have been renamed this year.

CA= PA
B&F=FM
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ohh, that makes so much more sense now....
I'll probably be applying for the WPA since I want to be a CA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol - yup

and good luck!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks! But I won't be applying for atleast another year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yes i know :P i mean good luck with marks and applications next year/ getting to your CA :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks! I hear it's really competitive and grade 11 and 12 are hard...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

it is competitive- but work hard and you'll be good.

and grade 11 and 12 arent that hard - esp. for someone called nerdyfairy who comes onto studentawards a whole year early (or is it two- since you said you "hear" grade 11 is hard!!?) to check up on programs- i have faith in you :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

haha thanks, i'll try.
I'm aiming for a 90+ average next year and grade 12...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i was right then- grade 10 :P good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0