yconic - Waterloo BBA/BMath
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo BBA/BMath

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
What was the cutoff for this program this year?

Does it help land great co-op working areas?

Where is this program in the rankings of other university programs?

Do grade 11 marks matter when applying to this program?

What types of jobs can you land with these 2 degrees?

Thanks a lot for the answers in advance, in case you're wondering I'm a grade 11 student that's curious on a 2ndary program in case I get rejected at waterloo engineering next year
Was this helpful? Yes 0
33 replies

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Believe its around 90 although you can get in with good EC's on the WLU side.

Yes.

I'd rank it in the upper tier.

Only for early acceptance.

Just about anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caesar caesar

@noxx98 wrote

Yes.

Just about anything.

Please note that he is in the program itself, so it tends to lend some bias.

My answer:

I got in with a 92.5% average, but there has been a history of students entering with mid-high 80's (gterr and some friends I know IRL)

My friend in BCS/BBA told me he didn't have much luck finding a decent co-op job. He is working at a call center at the moment, but it's still his first year.

There's no way of telling the ranking of the program as of yet, it first started in September 2010 and has had no graduates yet.

Yes, grade 11 marks matter (for early acceptance).

There is a list of potential jobs on the Waterloo information website. They share similar jobs with CFM.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

wait so what's the difference between this and Math/Business Administration?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caesar caesar

@plaidboy wrote

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/bbabcs/prospective_students/index.html
http://www.mathbus.uwaterloo.ca/programs/double_degree

These two pages should detail the differences in courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caesar wrote

@plaidboy wrote

so the topics in the chart in the 2nd link, are the different kind of areas we can specialize in later with a double degree program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LXY LXY

@caesar wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Yes.

Just about anything.

My answer:

I got in with a 92.5% average, but there has been a history of students entering with mid-high 80's (gterr and some friends I know IRL)

My friend in BCS/BBA told me he didn't have much luck finding a decent co-op job. He is working at a call center at the moment, but it's still his first year.

There's no way of telling the ranking of the program as of yet, it first started in September 2010 and has had no graduates yet.

There is a list of potential jobs on the Waterloo information website. They share similar jobs with CFM.

He chose against this program, so there is also some bias=). If you look in other threads, he is constantly putting down DD programs.

BTW OP as asking about MathDD, not CSDD, which generally has a slightly higher entrance average.

CFM is rather new as well. I'm sure we can see some development for both programs in the coming years=)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of x711Li x711Li

@plaidboy wrote

@caesar wrote

@plaidboy wrote

so the topics in the chart in the 2nd link, are the different kind of areas we can specialize in later with a double degree program?

Pretty much. BMath/BCS share a similar pool of jobs in terms of business (finance, in particular). You may want to go research more into the individual fields yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@caesar wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Yes.

Just about anything.

My answer:

He's talking about the BMath program its been around for 10 years so yes there is a ranking to it. Also your friend is a rare instance. The majority of people I know on the UW side have solid jobs right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@plaidboy wrote

@caesar wrote

@plaidboy wrote

Double degree gets you two degrees and the business degree is from an actual business school. Math/Business admin just is a glorified business major. Doesnt give you anywhere as much knowledge as a real business degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote

@caesar wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Yes.

Just about anything.

My answer:

He's talking about the BMath program its been around for 10 years so yes there is a ranking to it. Also your friend is a rare instance. The majority of people I know on the UW side have solid jobs right now.

ye he's right i'm talking about the 10 year program. Just wondering, what jobs can a bmath get you, other than teaching? Also is it mandatory to take comsci? I took it in grade 11 but not for grade 12. And why did some people choose DD over something like Ivey or Schulich if both require a high average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@plaidboy wrote

@noxx98 wrote

@caesar wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Yes.

Just about anything.

My answer:

ye he's right i'm talking about the 10 year program. Just wondering, what jobs can a bmath get you, other than teaching? Also is it mandatory to take comsci? I took it in grade 11 but not for grade 12. And why did some people choose DD over something like Ivey or Schulich if both require a high average

If you are interested in such a scenario, it is probably the only program that would be respected South of the border and right-about the only one which could be used a stepping stone for Wall Street (finance and investment banking).

Just make sure you steal large amounts of money. As the saying goes, "If you're in prison, you stole too little". Actually, if you're in prison in the States, you do not have to have done anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ok thanks and how does this program compare to the math/CA program at waterloo? Is the CA prgoram harder to get into, and a more prestigious program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plaidboy wrote
ok thanks and how does this program compare to the math/CA program at waterloo? Is the CA prgoram harder to get into, and a more prestigious program?

The CA program is harder to get into, but also focuses on a completely different discipline.

In fact, the BBA/BMath is offered as an alternative...Which makes me feel dejected. I applied to Laurier for the BBA/BMath in order to be able to collect (providing my final grades are satisfactory) the PCS (President's Centennial Scholarship).

Note: outside of Canada, that CA is useless.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

wow lol i thought dd means it would be better. anyways, does aif apply for this program at waterloo, like engineering (where it can add a total of 5% to your entering average)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plaidboy wrote
wow lol i thought dd means it would be better. anyways, does aif apply for this program at waterloo, like engineering (where it can add a total of 5% to your entering average)?

In my opinion, it is better...But we are comparing strawberries and potatoes...No such thing as "better" when one is a stream in business and the other is in accounting.

Yes. You might have to check with them if they have it available for Math/CA (if you handed it in for a different program, that might cause some lag).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

on the site it says only 60 people get in :( is that true
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plaidboy wrote
on the site it says only 60 people get in :( is that true

Into the Math/CA? I believe so.
For the BBA/BMath, it is 60 per university. WLU + UW = 120.

In reality, more "get in", but some reject. The number stated is the number of people who go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

is waterloo harder to get into? Personally i really want to go to waterloo, and not WLU
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plaidboy wrote
is waterloo harder to get into? Personally i really want to go to waterloo, and not WLU

No. You have to meet the requirements of both universities to be admitted.

And, in any case, the CS and Mathematics DDs are cross-university. The curriculum does not change depending on where you applied to. The only difference will be where you will have residence and to which university you will pay your fees.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Despondent wrote

@plaidboy wrote

And, in any case, the CS and Mathematics DDs are cross-university. The curriculum does not change depending on where you applied to. The only difference will be where you will have residence and to which university you will pay your fees.

The co-op will be different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@Despondent wrote

@plaidboy wrote

The co-op will be different.

I apologise. I forgot to state that you will have co-operative education from your home university. At UW, co-operative education starts after first year, at WLU after 2nd. There is no problem with going to Waterloo after 1st year as a WLU-based student and saying "Hey, I'm a full-time student here...Do you have jobs available of some sort?".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction

@plaidboy wrote

If you are going into the BMath/BBA double degree, DEFINITELY go through the Laurier side if you think you might be interested in pursuing accounting.

You get to still apply to Big 4/CATO jobs through the Laurier co-op system, but if you go through the Waterloo side, you are barred from applying to any jobs as they are reserved for AFM-PA/Math CA/Biotech CA students.

Just thought I should shout it out because a lot of people that went through the Waterloo side didn't know it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@Junction wrote

@plaidboy wrote

If you are going into the BMath/BBA double degree, DEFINITELY go through the Laurier side if you think you might be interested in pursuing accounting.

You get to still apply to Big 4/CATO jobs through the Laurier co-op system, but if you go through the Waterloo side, you are barred from applying to any jobs as they are reserved for AFM-PA/Math CA/Biotech CA students.

Just thought I should shout it out because a lot of people that went through the Waterloo side didn't know it.

I believe that UW Based DDs can contact Peter Wood to get access to the CATO jobs on Jobmine - http://www.ddclub.ca/acct_des.php for more info on accounting designations and the program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Junction Junction

@North wrote

@Junction wrote

@plaidboy wrote

I believe that UW Based DDs can contact Peter Wood to get access to the CATO jobs on Jobmine - http://www.ddclub.ca/acct_des.php for more info on accounting designations and the program

It may be possible, but I have yet to hear a BMath/BBA from the Waterloo side get a Big4 job. As well, Waterloo's SAF and Laurier's business department just held a Corporate CATO event last week and UW BMath/BBA students were barred from it, just saying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@Junction wrote

@North wrote

@Junction wrote

@plaidboy wrote

It may be possible, but I have yet to hear a BMath/BBA from the Waterloo side get a Big4 job. As well, Waterloo's SAF and Laurier's business department just held a Corporate CATO event last week and UW BMath/BBA students were barred from it, just saying.

Fair enough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0