yconic - Waterloo bursaries
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo bursaries

A photo of kaytotz kaytotz
Has anyone received any bursary decisions yet?

Also, how much money can I expect to get? I'm from a single parent household with roughly 20,000 total income. I am hoping for the max. amount of $4000.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of PC24 PC24
I got $4000 and i think the max amount of bursary u can get is $6000.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
did it come with your offer of admission or separately?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@PC24 wrote

4000 is the max (bursary amounts are between 500 and 4000)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dbdudgh dbdudgh

@g93 wrote

@PC24 wrote

The total amount of money you can get from UW in the first year(scholarships+bursaries) is $6000.

I'm sure you'll receive $4000 unless you got more than $2000 in scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@kaytotz wrote

Also, how much money can I expect to get? I'm from a single parent household with roughly 20,000 total income. I am hoping for the max. amount of $4000.

Just a bit over $4,000 (I'm pretty much in the same position as you, but an upper year). Apply ASAP though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@kaytotz wrote

Just a bit over $4,000 (I'm pretty much in the same position as you, but an upper year). Apply ASAP though.

If I'm waiting on a bursary decision then I have obviously applied...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaytotz wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@kaytotz wrote

Lol..
I'm pretty sure they're supposed to come with your offer of admission.
The best way to know is to call them and ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It definitely did not come with my offer of admission email or package.

I haven't applied for OSAP yet which I remember being an integral part of the bursary decision so I'm going to assume that's why I haven't received a bursary amount yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dbdudgh wrote

@g93 wrote

@PC24 wrote

The total amount of money you can get from UW in the first year(scholarships+bursaries) is $6000.

That is what I said - the maximum bursary amount is $4000, not $6000. Scholarships are irrelevant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

@g93 wrote

@PC24 wrote

That is what I said - the maximum bursary amount is $4000, not $6000. Scholarships are irrelevant.

Sorry, I should've quoted PC24 but I automatically quoted the last person on the thread without thinking.. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaytotz wrote
It definitely did not come with my offer of admission email or package.

I haven't applied for OSAP yet which I remember being an integral part of the bursary decision so I'm going to assume that's why I haven't received a bursary amount yet.

You should definitely call Waterloo and ask.
If you got your offer of admission in May, the bursary info should've came together(I got mine this way).
If you got it before May, they should've informed you about the bursary somehow..
I'm pretty sure the only thing osap has to do with the bursary is that you have to apply for osap by June 15th so I don't think that's the reason why you didn't get the bursary yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I did get email saying that my bursary application was assessed, but no details other that.

Oh, and OSAP is needed to verify some of the information on the bursary I believe.

Gah, I will probably give a call tomorrow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Update: I called the Financial Dept. at UW and was told I had received a $4000 bursary and the bursaries letters are sent separately from the offer package and should be getting it soon. Whew!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's great! maybe I'll see you around next year :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Now that I'm positive that I can afford it ;D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaytotz wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@kaytotz wrote

Good catch. Speaks volumes about how much time I spent in thinking through my post...well, +1 makes the world go round, no?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I wasn't tried to be insulting, sorry if it came out that way.

Was it in your first year, and/or upper year, that you received a bit over $4000?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaytotz wrote

Was it in your first year, and/or upper year, that you received a bit over $4000?

Nah don't worry about. I'm not above reproach. This was in my second year; coincidentally this is when my tuition also doubled. The UW general bursary amounts to around $4,500. My friend and I have consistently received this amount since we started applying for bursaries (our financial situation was/is similar to yours, btw).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@kaytotz wrote

Nah don't worry about. I'm not above reproach. This was in my second year; coincidentally this is when my tuition also doubled. The UW general bursary amounts to around $4,500. My friend and I have consistently received this amount since we started applying for bursaries (our financial situation was/is similar to yours, btw).

What program are you in??
My tuition also goes 2.5X in my upper years and I don't know how I'm gonna pay the insane tuition.. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dbdudgh wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@kaytotz wrote

What program are you in??
My tuition also goes 2.5X in my upper years and I don't know how I'm gonna pay the insane tuition.. :(

Same program as you lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0