yconic - Waterloo CA/Finance Program Vs.Brock U CA Program..
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo CA/Finance Program Vs.Brock U CA Program..

A photo of Novdeep Novdeep
Which program is easier and better in the short and long run? I have heard that the Brock U accounting program is rigorous but the first year courses are very, very easy but I am not to sure about Waterloo. Does Waterloo have a harder program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
I'm almost 100% positive that you would get better co-op opportunities (which are important in an accounting program) at Waterloo as opposed to Brock. Of course this is probably impossible to compare unless you've been through both programs, but Waterloo is considered one of the best schools to be an accountant, although Brock is respected too.
Also, there's more than one accounting program at Waterloo...there's Math/CA, Biotech/CA, and AFM, so it'd help if you were more specific.
It's impossible to say which one is harder...but in the end everyone HAS to pass the UFE (or some other exam) to become a CA, so everyone has to study just as hard to pass those CA exams anyways so you're not going to have an easier path in life in the end by going to one over the other.
Also, I think co-op is mandatory/guaranteed at Waterloo whereas at Brock it's not (not sure if this is important to you lulz)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Novdeep Novdeep
I am comparing the CA/Finance program at Waterloo as to the CA program at Brock U. I have read that Brock U has the highest co-op placement in all of Canada and also the best employment after 1 year. But I just want to get to the point of which program's courses are harder. For example math. At Brock university they dumb down the math because you share a class room with other students in different programs like science. But when you think about it Waterloo must do the same and may just mix in the engineering kids with the accounting kids. Will this happen or will the AFM program not focus on the main hard aspects of math?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@Novdeep wrote
I am comparing the CA/Finance program at Waterloo as to the CA program at Brock U. I have read that Brock U has the highest co-op placement in all of Canada and also the best employment after 1 year. But I just want to get to the point of which program's courses are harder. For example math. At Brock university they dumb down the math because you share a class room with other students in different programs like science. But when you think about it Waterloo must do the same and may just mix in the engineering kids with the accounting kids. Will this happen or will the AFM program not focus on the main hard aspects of math?

I can't speak for Brock, but the AFMs in Waterloo take an extremely easy math course specifically for accounting majors - It barely touches on calculus. They also take a Stats course specifically for accounting majors and I've heard that it is somewhat difficult.

But to answer your questions: No, AFM students never take math courses with the Engineers and Mathies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@immaculatedx wrote

@Novdeep wrote

I can't speak for Brock, but the AFMs in Waterloo take an extremely easy math course specifically for accounting majors - It barely touches on calculus. They also take a Stats course specifically for accounting majors and I've heard that it is somewhat difficult.

But to answer your questions: No, AFM students never take math courses with the Engineers and Mathies.

Yeah it's just a basic math/calc course that is made just for AFMs (and there's variants of it for science students too). The concepts are definitely not tough, but they do put pretty hard questions on the exams. It's not a total cake-walk, but if you're really good at math it will be a bird course.

This type of first year math course is similar at almost all business program. Some have a bit more calc, like the one at Laurier, but from what I've seen that course is sooooo easy.

-

And Brock def. does not have the best co-op rate. It is a good school, and gets pretty good placements, but it's not THE BEST.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DRose01 DRose01
In terms of academics first year at AFM is easy, although second semester is a little more intense than first sem. But to get a good co-op you need more than just grades (ec's/networking skills/experience). It all comes down to the first co-op placement because once you get a solid co-op, you can go lots of places from there forward. Getting the position is the tough part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0