yconic - Waterloo city
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo city

A photo of JonathanEtienne JonathanEtienne
In await for my Sauder's response, I am analyzing my other options - laurier.

How is waterloo city seriously? How is the food, residences, downtown life... like at laurier?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of lolsup lolsup

@JonathanEtienne wrote
In await for my Sauder's response, I am analyzing my other options - laurier.

How is waterloo city seriously? How is the food, residences, downtown life... like at laurier?

My sister went to UW and I've visited the city many times. From what I've seen, it seems great. Really student oriented and what not. I can't give you an accurate account as I haven't lived there. My sister tells me the food is alright, nothing special. Residences are nice as well. Not sure about downtown life. However, Laurier is more of a party school when compared to Waterloo, so if you plan on going there, you'll have a great time :).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman
It's a great city, imo. There's a good balance of city life with a more relaxed and less busy non-city feel. There's all the conveniences of a large city in the area (Kitchener-Waterloo is the 10th largest in Canada) but you can drive 15 minutes outside of the city and suddenly you are in the middle of a dirt road and the only thing you can hear is some cows mooing. The area near the Laurier and Waterloo campuses is student-friendly. Supposedly the food on both campuses suck, in general (there's a few good options though). There's plenty of food choices in the city though. Some say that both campuses are ugly but there's a park that's like 2 minutes away that is beautiful. The residences at Laurier are decent from what I hear- many people love the King St. rez, and from what I've seen it's great. Laurier's a small campus which means you'll have no problem getting to classes and you'll get to know a lot of people. There's a lot of school pride at Laurier and they love their football and other sports teams (and they're quite good). Laurier is pretty relaxed and many of the students love having a good time. Apparently on St. Paddy's day they waited until 10:00am to start partying this year, instead of 8:00am.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cloverhannah cloverhannah
I'm studying grade 12 in Waterloo now, and it is absolutely a great place for studying because there's nothing you can do except for studying. During holidays or weekends people have to go to Toronto to have some entertainments, because Waterloo itself is a very boring city. Also, the water quality is not good at all. I have to get a new filter every 2 weeks. I don't think it is convenient to buy groceries, at least there's no shoppers/ walmart/Zehrs...any big supermarkets around the campus. You have to take the bus for 15 mins minimum to Conestoga Mall. That's why sometimes I prefer leaving Waterloo after grade 12 :P I don't like Waterloo City...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
good point on the groceries - how far is the nearest food store? (sobeys, metro, nofrills, longos, food basics etc)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Windsongs4 wrote
good point on the groceries - how far is the nearest food store? (sobeys, metro, nofrills, longos, food basics etc)

They're all on the bus routes. So you shouldn't have too much problems with that. One piece of advice: get to know the bus schedule and routes really well. It'll help out a lot in upper years when your base of operations will tend to be further away from campus. It's a small city overall though.

To OP: Don't come if you <3 Toronto; I can't lie that it'll be a step down. But Toronto's not far away, and who knows, maybe you won't mind the more peaceful environment after a while.
Was this helpful? Yes 0