yconic - Waterloo Comp Sci/Soft Eng/Comp Eng EMPLOYMENT STATISTICS REPORT?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Comp Sci/Soft Eng/Comp Eng EMPLOYMENT STATISTICS REPORT?

A photo of waazup waazup
Hi, does anyone have or know where I can find the report for employment in recent years for waterloo comp sci, soft eng, or comp eng ? NOT CO-OP!! I need after graduating the 4 years.

If not, any other university or related field will do just fine too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of iRamie iRamie
LOL Your just like me :)
Paranoid about University of Waterloo even though we're only in grade 11
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
LMAO. I'm more paranoid of business than this.

Business is my main goal and passion.

I did not take any sciences. Only computer engineering.

Thus, I cannot take Software engineering, but I CAN take Comp Sci - since it requires english/3 maths which I have - what a great backup, considering it shares almost identical jobs with SE, and plus it is more mathematic - which I like.

Nonetheless, Comp Sci is a great field, and I will definitely apply if I get the opportunity. But I am almost certain that I will go to business. Dual degree of HBA + Comp Sci is an option at UWO, I will consider that too.

Lucky for you since you took physics/chem, you have the option of engineering too. Science vs engineering is one tough decision though - good luck!

I guess for you its the same - software vs science. What's your take on this though?
If you don't mind, feel free to post your marks and EC's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Dude i F****d up badly this year man. First semester was all fun and games for me and i learned my lesson. Even though i emailed them myself and they say the grade 11 marks are ultimately unimportant.

First semester i got
Math - 76
Chem - 75
Comp Engineering- 96
History - 87

Second Sem im Getting:
Physics - 80
Comp Sci - 99
Gym - 90
English - 88

What are your marks like?

As you can see i learned not to goof off. Hopefully they don't look at my grade 11 first semester marks, i want to make sure that's the only university i go to, nothing else :D

ECs:
I have game Private Servers (3 of them), all have 400+ players and I gained experience in marketing, business management etc...
They are all written in different languages
Runescape Server is in Java
World of Warcraft is in C++
Minecraft Server (Open Source) is in Java

But i know other languages too and database development.

I also do some web developing for a company (PHP, MySQL, etc..)

If admissions for Soft Eng were all about the Programming experience you had i'd be so happy, unfortunately its not :(

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Waterloo, as far as I know, does not release employment statistics. If you have any questions I can try to answer them.

iRamie, don't sweat it you'll be fine. Grade 11 only matters for early acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@noxx98 wrote

Waterloo, as far as I know, does not release employment statistics. If you have any questions I can try to answer them.

iRamie, don't sweat it you'll be fine. Grade 11 only matters for early acceptance.

Yah but i heard that time frame between early acceptance and the final offers goes really slow for some apparent reason LOL

http://www.cecs.uwaterloo.ca/pdfs/Hourly_Salary_Information_2010.pdf
Also Wazap take a look at the link above.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
They'll start giving out early acceptances as early as December, with the next round in January. Then in February when they get first term marks, and then once they get second term midterm marks. Not really that slow, its the same for all universities.

THats the co-op report which Waazap wasnt looking for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@noxx98 wrote
They'll start giving out early acceptances as early as December, with the next round in January. Then in February when they get first term marks, and then once they get second term midterm marks. Not really that slow, its the same for all universities.

If in December they see my grade 11 marks will they cut me from the list or will they keep me on there and wait and give me a chance to show my grade 12 marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@iRamie wrote

@noxx98 wrote

If in December they see my grade 11 marks will they cut me from the list or will they keep me on there and wait and give me a chance to show my grade 12 marks?

You will not be cut from the list. You wil lalways be considered for the next round of acceptances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Those marks are not bad at all.

For me, Fair I guess, but I still don't know why I didn't take more U courses for gr. 11. Like physics, chem would help me. even comp sci and Law would have def. helped me out. I really screwed up my course selection for grade 11 when i was in grade 10. but hopefully next year everything works out!

Oh and my EC's, I got a few clubs and a few currently in development. I'm also looking towards doing plenty of hours in the summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I feel so bad, my programming experiences are really minimal. I mean like 1 programming class and a couple computing contests. I only really discovered computer science last year and haven't gotten around to any personal projects. How do you guys suggest I get started? Modding for a game? Check out some open-source projects and try to get in on them? :s

@Waazup: it's really not that late for you to go into SE if you wanted to. You could take Chem in summer school and take 11U phys and 12 U phys each semester or in night school. Though I wouldn't worry about not going into SE, both CS and SE are great programs and both have co-op. You'll graduate with a great resume and will prob already have jobs waiting for you due to your placements at coop. The only statistic I know is the one Waterloo plasters all over their viewbooks which is 98% of CS students are hired within 6 months of graduation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
^ if you find it hard to motivate yourself, i would say just wait for coop. i wasnt that motivated to do my own projects ( i never knew itd benefit me) so i never did them in HS. when i came here, about 1/3 of my class has done open source or has past work exp. or has done their own past projects. so. thats what really motivated me ^^

& we dont have statistics of after graduation. but i have talked to many graduating SE students, they all have jobs awaiting them. IDK about CS students but Im thinking its the same for them. undergrad statistics for every program and every term is available if you are a waterloo student , its on the CECS site.
Was this helpful? Yes 0