yconic - Waterloo Computer Science Applicants 2018
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Computer Science Applicants 2018

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys!

There's no megathread about Waterloo CS yet, so I decided to start one. I'm interested in applying to Waterloo Computer Science. I personally have had a 96% average in grade 11, and I expect a similar average in grade 12.

I'm really scared about the admissions process, since I've never really won any Waterloo math contests (only placed top 25%), and my ECs are only average at best. Can you guys give my an assessment and predict whether I can get in this year?

Feel free to post your averages and ECs below!
Was this helpful? Yes 3
22 replies

I made it to UWaterloo Computer Science with only 93% average but I had a ton of extracurriculars.

I participated in many clubs including my school's Cancer Society Club where I was the webmaster for. I also created my school's Anime Club's website where it's frequently used by my school's weebs. I was also complemented by my grandma for helping her with resetting her internet router and that greatly impacted my application.

In school, I helped the janitors mopped the floors and they gave me a piece of pie for the great job. I also created a program in Dr Java where if I were to right click a random number would show up on the screen so that was pretty fun.

Yeah so moral of story, marks don't matter as much when it comes to applications since universities also look at your extracurriculars and the type of person you are.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

This post was deleted

as an alternative post (although i applied several years ago), i had practically no EC's and pretty much didn't even write the waterloo contests (my scores were that good...) but my marks were high enough to get in. 
i've found that it's becoming harder and harder to shine with your EC's, but high marks are high marks. 95+ is no longer a guarantee acceptance like it was when i was applying, but it gives you a good shot despite your EC's. pretty sure 96/97 would be extremely competitive unless someone has recent data from last year's applicants. note that we're assuming the competition for applicants is >= to the applicants from last year which is an okay assumption i guess.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I had a 97 average in grade 11 but crap ECs. I still have crap ECs and will put all my effort into studying for that 98 average RIP sleep
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Applying for Software Engineering + CS at UWaterloo, UofT, UOttawa, and UBC.  

English 11- 92%
Pre-Calculus 11- 98% (Took in grade 10)
Pre-Calculus 12- 99% (Took in grade 11)  
Chemistry 11- 95% Physics 11- 98%  

Grade 11 4 courses average to: 95.75%  

EC:  
-Vast programming experience in C, C++, Java, and Python  
-Won city wide programming competition  
-Numerous side projects including a chess game using C, and also a tetris games that includes multi levels using C++; it shows effective memory management of C++, text and graphics and multiple software design patterns.  
- Part time job at Tim Hortons for one year so far  
- RC cars and the such. Currently working on a custom built lego car with Raspberry Pi and working on the controlling the numerous motors and movement of the car through my computer.  
- My school doesn't offer any programming courses, so all my knowledge has been self-taught.  

My obvious goal is to make it into Waterloo Software Engineering, but all I've heard are people 97%+ and still getting rejected so I'm really worried. I don't expect my grade 12 average to be much higher. The most likely case is similar marks, but I'm hoping my AIF will boost my chances.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I wouldn't be worried about getting into software. You seem to have the marks and ECs (along with coding ECs). I would just make sure that your AIF is written well as your ECs don't mean anything if you can't communicate what you learned from them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

average:
gr.11 - 96%
gr.12 - expecting around 98-99%

ecs/stuff i did:
-part time job for 2 years
-exec of student hunger program
-shad
-software dev. internship
-cs workshop at uw
-best buddies
-lots of volunteering (not naming all of them)
-some programming experience in java & python
-math & physics tutor

pretty worried bc it's getting sooo competitive for cs so idk what my chances are tbh
idk if i really believe people saying they got rejected with 97%+ and good ecs but my marks and ecs aren't anything special at this point so honestly idk
really hoping to get accepted bc i kinda have my mind set on uw
Was this helpful? Yes 0

SHAD is really good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You will need 95+ and good ECs to have a good chance for CS and SE. Those who get rejected with 97+ averages generally do not explain their ECs well on the AIF or don't do well on the video interview. 

SE will be harder to get into this year than last, they went over their quota for 2017 meaning there are less seats for 2018. At least that is what I was told when I explored my options of transferring programs. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello,

I was the anon that posted 2 replies above, with the 95.75% average. 

So far I don't see it going any higher than that, as I am pretty certain I will land between 94-95% range come admission time... However, as I won't be having a 95+, will my mark be acceptable in their eyes? 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

95.75% is an average. Roughly half of the applicants will be below that, and you are very close to that average so I would say that you have a pretty solid chance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

https://profbillanderson.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/chances-for-2018/

This data can give you an idea of the probability of acceptance based on your grades. Based on the graph you would have a 30% chance with a 94%. 

Your ECs are very similar to others who I know that have been accepted. It will come down to how you convey your experiences on the AIF that will set you apart from the other applicants. 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Applying for CS at Waterloo, McGill , Carleton (backup option) and possibly Toronto.

Grade 11 average (top 6): 96.5%
Grade 12 average (expected): 95.5% (known marks: 99% and 93%)

EC's/Other Stuff:
- FRC robotics (current team captain (50-person team), Dean's list semi-finalist, former programming captain)
- FLL robotics youth mentor and began multiple teams
- IEEE robotics youth mentor
- VEX robotics
- event organizer for Ottawa robotics kickoffs
- volunteer for music events/camps
- formerly in concert and jazz bands (won multiple awards for my contributions; left for medical reasons)
- built a basic neural net (training sets) in Python and modified existing ones
- regularly program in C++, C, Python, and Java (all self-taught); and I have taught them to others for several years (also familiar with Linux and Git)
- wrote a science fiction book (90k words)
- tutor (science, math, English)
- was one of two high school students working at the University of Ottawa's science and engineering camp
- clarinet ensemble
- science club
- AV crew
- worked at a band camp
- have built and programmed robots from scratch (etched and designed the circuit board too, although I did use a PIC microcontroller later on)

I'd really like to end up working in A.I. or robotics. Do you think computer science or software engineering gives me the best shot at that?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Gr 11 avg: 97.6%
Gr 12 (expected)avg: 98 (Adv Functions: 99, English: 96, Computer Science 100, Kinesiology: 96)  
EC:
Top 5% in fermat math contest
Top 20% in physics contest
Top 15 for senior computer science contest
Level 5 on AP Physics 1 Exam
Webmaster of computer programming club
Webmaster/coach of Robotics Club
Competed in ICDC DECA
Certified life guard
Competitive weightlifter (Competing provincially in feb)
What are my chances for waterloo computer science/software engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Gr 12 current avg: 92 (Expected 94 avg)
Extra curriculars:
Computer programming Co President
Animal Rights associations executive member and graphic designer
Math, Computer science and Kinesiology Peer Tutor
Dragon Boat Co Coach
Wresting Club
Competitive Dancer
Software Development Internship from America 
What are my chances for comp sci :3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Gr12 current avg: 94 (hoping to get it up to a 95)
ECs:
RCM Piano Grade 10
French DELF B2 
Co-hosted an art project with 20+ artists, all earnings from sales go toward charity
Experience in Java, teaching myself Python
School tennis team, badminton team
Local tennis club intercounty tennis team (won regionals)
DECA provincials qualifier
Volunteer at math extra help at school

I also know that my school is one of the ones that Waterloo adds a mark adjustment for, does anyone know how much/if this applies to the math department?

What are my chances for computer science/computer engineering/systems design backup?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Grade 12 avg: 96-97
100 Computer Science
100 Computer Engineering

ECS:
FIRST Robotics Programming Team Captain / Driver
Wrote Gauss, Pascal, OAPT and Caribou Math/Physics Contests
Writing Senior CCC and Euclid this year
Self taught programming knowledge (C++, Python, Java, C#, HTML, CSS)
App Development and Machine Learning Online Courses
Karate for 5 years
Swimming for 5 years
1 Week Game Development Course at local college
COOP Software Engineering internship over the summer
Teaching and Mentoring for Computer Science (Running mini course this year for c++)
Presentations and Event Planning (Grade 9 Orientation, Local companies, etc.)
Working on website for local store
Hackathons

What are my chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

this website makes me depressed as f*** but i can't stop scrolling
hELP
How do y'all have these high 90 averages AND DO ECs
After spending too many days on Yconic I feel like I should just apply for math non coop since it's the easiest in the math faculty and i have no chance for anything else
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Honestly, you are my spirit animal right now hahah :') Yconic is basically my life right now, but I just make myself even more anxious every time I go on it---

Anyways, keep in mind that there's tons more applicants than just the people who post on Yconic, so it doesn't necessarily reflect the admission average (GOTTA BE OPTIMISTIC!!)

I'm curious, but what average do you have right now?

Here's to hoping we both get in! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi :) My grade 12 average is currently 94.6 (91 in Bio, 94 in Functions, 99 in Physics). 

I'm in a specialized math, science and computer science program.
I'm also doing a semester at the Ontario Science Center, where I'm taking grade 12 courses and volunteering as a student host.
I've received numerous school awards, (student of the month, comp sci, biology, arts, languages, and social studies)
I speak fluent French.

I work 8-12 hours per week at the public library.

I've volunteered over 150 hours in total, 50+ at my school's Breakfast Program.
I was part of the Premier's Civic Engagement Volunteer Group for 2 years.
I'm a school ambassador and have been a guest speaker at other schools.
I've been on the editorial team for a youth magazine.
I've been on the badminton team for 2 years.
I was on the school science club & programming club but I'm now part of a community coding initiative.
I've done math contests in past years and plan to do so again this year.

What are my odds for BME? Thank you.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey I was wondering what date people generally send in their aif? I'm a 105D applicant and I'm wondering if I should send in my midterm marks now and an update after first semester or just wait and send my marks after first semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0