yconic - Waterloo Computer Science entrance probability.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Computer Science entrance probability.

A photo of MWu MWu
Can someone in Waterloo CS(co-op preferred), or anyone that's also applying there check out my marks and EC's and see if my chances are okay?

Vectors/Calculus: 97
Advanced Functions: 97
Data Management: 95
Physics: 89
Chemistry: 94
Biology: 90

----Two Mixed Courses----
Strings(music):95
Repertoire:95

Of course, these will change from February uploads, though I hope for the better.
I play in the school's symphony orchestra, chamber ensemble, and is the secretary of the computer and technologies club.
I did the fermat last year and will probably do Euclid this February.
I've also volunteered for the local community orchestra a couple of times.

I just don't feel that my ECs are strong enough to compete with others, what are the usual ECs for accepted students like?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of avp avp
......rlly man...with a 93 average...ur still thinkin if u will get in or not...>.<
God help me...i only have a 87 avg...
As for u, u will definitely make it to computer science!
Gratz! It's invdividual selections from mid 80s so dont sweat...ur already in bud!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MWu MWu
Oops, looks like I left out English from that list.
I did it in summer school and got myself a 96.
Would it matter to Waterloo if I took it in summer school?
I'd assume they can just review my AIF and other supplementary forms to assess my English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
They care, but it doesn't really matter. Your marks are absolutely stellar, I really can't see you getting rejected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MWu MWu

@jelly wrote
They care, but it doesn't really matter. Your marks are absolutely stellar, I really can't see you getting rejected.

I've read about people with 90+ averages not getting accepted into Waterloo before.
It was probably their ECs, which is what I'm really concerned about as mine can't really compete with the more heavyweight student council presidents and athletes.
Music is honestly the only thing I enjoy doing in the school. Everything else just doesn't have the appeal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gabe10 Gabe10

@MWu wrote
Can someone in Waterloo CS(co-op preferred), or anyone that's also applying there check out my marks and EC's and see if my chances are okay?

Advanced Functioned: 97

Of course, these will change from February uploads, though I hope for the better.
I play in the school's symphony orchestra, chamber ensemble, and is secretary of the computer and technologies club.

I just don't feel that my ECs are strong enough to compete with others, what are the usual ECs for accepted students like?

Hi, I am a student from university of waterloo and you have a good chance of coming to waterloo! Honestly I think you should have applied for software engineering.

Its fine if you like music. You can always link what you love towards programming. That's how a piano or guitar apps are created on iphones.

They do not care much if you took english in summer school. Although you'll have to explain well on your AIF. I know a friend that did the same and made it. However, upgrading or retaking a course will make a bad impression. If you have any more questions, pm me if u wish.

@avp, you have a decent chance as well. You mind telling us your mark? and what program are you going for? CS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MWu MWu

@Gabe10 wrote

@MWu wrote

I play in the school's symphony orchestra, chamber ensemble, and is secretary of the computer and technologies club.

Hi, I am a student from university of waterloo and you have a good chance of coming to waterloo! Honestly I think you should have applied for software engineering.

Its fine if you like music. You can always link what you love towards programming. That's how a piano or guitar apps are created on iphones.

They do not care much if you took english in summer school. Although you'll have to explain well on your AIF. I know a friend that did the same and made it. However, upgrading or retaking a course will make a bad impression. If you have any more questions, pm me if u wish.

Thanks Gabe!
I have some requests if they're not too bothersome for you.
Would you be willing to give some examples of the ECs others students currently in Waterloo had when they were accepted? I mean, from the least to the greatest if that's at all possible.

What was the general date or month when you or anyone you know in CS received your acceptance emails?

Thanks again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avp avp
@ Gabe
I had previously applied to computer science but then changed it to Actuarial Science because a career in this field seems very promising to me...I also applied to computer engineer...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@MWu wrote

@Gabe10 wrote

@MWu wrote

Thanks Gabe!
I have some requests if they're not too bothersome for you.
Would you be willing to give some examples of the ECs others students currently in Waterloo had when they were accepted? I mean, from the least to the greatest if that's at all possible.

What was the general date or month when you or anyone you know in CS received your acceptance emails?

Thanks again.

CS gives out early acceptances pretty early - I remember getting mine around Jan or Feb. The mark requirements are not that bad since they have a lot of seats for entrance. I think your ECs aren't decent, I would say you don't have as much variety as some people but it is not like it will hurt your chances as you already have a great average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MWu MWu
Thanks Aimango.
Don't they weigh ECs fairly heavily in Waterloo? I'd think it would play a considerable amount in their decisions despite my marks, since I'm pretty sure that there are hundreds of applicants with similar marks like mine.

I've also applied for AFM-PA and Math/CA, but I doubt I'll get into those with my ECs being really weak.

I really shouldn't have overextended my applications. ;__;
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maattp maattp

@MWu wrote
Thanks Aimango.
Don't they weigh ECs fairly heavily in Waterloo? I'd think it would play a considerable amount in their decisions despite my marks, since I'm pretty sure that there are hundreds of applicants with similar marks like mine.

I've also applied for AFM-PA and Math/CA, but I doubt I'll get into those with my ECs being really weak.

I got early acceptance into Waterloo Honours CO-OP CS in December 2011 without even submitting my AIF. I had a 95% Grade 11 average. I can almost guarantee that you'll get accepted with those marks. I think that EC's are more important if your marks are around the cut-off point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@MWu wrote
Thanks Aimango.

Not heavily weighted. For those who don't know, the 'score' is calculated like this:
top-6 average + your AIF score out of 12. So no, ECs are not that heavily weighted.

I made a blog post that might help answer further questions if OP and anyone else are interested :)
http://wp.me/p1SN65-3W
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of MWu MWu
So, I checked my OUAC today because a friend told me about her getting accepted but not receiving an email of admission.
It says they've already make an offer of admission for me, but I didn't receive a letter of admission.
Can anyone confirm if this isn't just a mistake on OUAC's part?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jingjinglan jingjinglan
^I am that friend haha

Anyway, I got my offer of admission on January 6th after submitting my application Christmas Eve. I didn't check OUAC until today and I was surprised to see that I was accepted. I haven't filled out my AIF yet.

I haven't gotten an email of acceptance yet...so I am confused. Hopefully it didn't go to my spam.

For anyone who cares, my cumulative Grade 11 average was 94%. Grade 12 average so far is ~94%, maybe 95% with top 6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MWu MWu

@jingjinglan wrote
^I am that friend haha

Anyway, I got my offer of admission on January 6th after submitting my application Christmas Eve. I didn't check OUAC until today and I was surprised to see that I was accepted. I haven't filled out my AIF yet.

I haven't gotten an email of acceptance yet...so I am confused. Hopefully it didn't go to my spam.

For anyone who cares, my cumulative Grade 11 average was 94%. Grade 12 average so far is ~94%, maybe 95% with top 6.

I think she's offline now, but I'll just make the correction here.
She got it on the 27th, not the 6th.
Was this helpful? Yes 0