yconic - Waterloo Computer Science Question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Computer Science Question

A photo of waazup waazup
I'm in grade 11, and have a concern..here it goes

Let's say I have a 90+ average - let's say 93

-with high math marks (all 3 maths)
-no computer SCIENCE courses, or any science courses
-accounting, international business, Law
-no relevant programming experience EXCEPT for my gr.10 & 11 computer engineering class

Plus decent EC's, a few leadership/executive positions in about 2 - 4, about 5-8 (solid) EC's in total? + Also awards for courses.
Will I get accepted? What if the average is higher?

My primary target is business, and it may seem to them like i'm just applying there for fun and as a backup...so they may think they are "wasting" an offer...?? I really hope this is not the case.
Because having no programming experience indicates that the application is for a back-up only...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of LXY LXY
if you have 93, or anything above 88, with okay ECs, you will be accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
^ They don't really pay attention to my courses like business?

Okay, how does this OUAC thing work? Do they have access to all your marks? only top 6? do YOU choose your top 6? do they choose the top 6,? does the comp automatically choose top 6?

These are the questions i want answered lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny

@waazup wrote

Okay, how does this OUAC thing work? Do they have access to all your marks? only top 6? do YOU choose your top 6? do they choose the top 6,? does the comp automatically choose top 6?

Your school will send the OUAC all of your grade 11 and 12 marks, which will be sent to the universities you picked. They will calculate the top 6 for you and possibly adjust your average based on the school you go to and the types of classes you have taken. Example UW might weigh calc, adv func, and english more than your business and law classes that are part of your other 4U/M courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LXY LXY

@waazup wrote

Of course, if your math marks are low(meaning less than 80), no amount of business courses is going to help you.

OUAC is an application centre. They have access to all your marks(I think). They pick the marks that 1) includes the prereqs, and 2) the next highest marks that would result in the highest top 6 possible.

Waterloo also has an AIF, where you input all your marks and ECs. They automatically choose your top 6 with prereqs. I'm not sure what you mean between "they" and "the comp." I think I will respond with "they" have "the comp" lol.

It's too early for you to bother with this. Focus on your studies/ECs, and this OUAC stuff will be obvious when you get there in November.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@LXY wrote

@waazup wrote

Of course, if your math marks are low(meaning less than 80), no amount of business courses is going to help you.

OUAC is an application centre. They have access to all your marks(I think). They pick the marks that 1) includes the prereqs, and 2) the next highest marks that would result in the highest top 6 possible.

Waterloo also has an AIF, where you input all your marks and ECs. They automatically choose your top 6 with prereqs. I'm not sure what you mean between "they" and "the comp." I think I will respond with "they" have "the comp" lol.

It's too early for you to bother with this. Focus on your studies/ECs, and this OUAC stuff will be obvious when you get there in November.

Alright...and I think you misunderstood what I meant by my business courses. I want them NOT to consider it (sort of). My math marks will be strong (based on past experience) I guess, I was just worrying about the fact that they see me as a student who took no programming things but business, so it may seem like I'm applying to the program just as something to fall back on...But yeah I hope they disregard that and calculate my top 6 4u/m and look at my ec's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of spock100 spock100
As long as you have good math marks, a good overall average(86+) and a decent AIF, you'll get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
spock, are u currently going in waterloo or are already in it? if you are already in it, feel free to tell me your experiences..

I'm interested in that BBA/BCS ... business + comp sci right?
What average and EC's did u have?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm a current student...Honestly, make no mistake this is a really hard program. You're basically taking all required courses for a CS major, ad business/econ courses as your electives. If you're coming to this program, then I would strongly suggest that you get some programming experience (or get acquainted with Scheme at the least). Business courses are also a but complicated, especially due to biased TA's, e.t.c. but you don't actually need to really prepare for it, but I would seriously suggest that you pay a lot of attention to math/cs over the summer.

As for getting in, I had a 93% average but I didn't have any significant extracurriculars..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I hear that it's also really annoying having to go from 1 campus to the other... personally I hate busing so I feel bad for you guys : P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@spock100 wrote
I'm a current student...Honestly, make no mistake this is a really hard program. You're basically taking all required courses for a CS major, ad business/econ courses as your electives. If you're coming to this program, then I would strongly suggest that you get some programming experience (or get acquainted with Scheme at the least). Business courses are also a but complicated, especially due to biased TA's, e.t.c. but you don't actually need to really prepare for it, but I would seriously suggest that you pay a lot of attention to math/cs over the summer.

As for getting in, I had a 93% average but I didn't have any significant extracurriculars..

Did you have any programming experience prior to entering waterloo? Do you think I can make it if I spend the whole summer (2 months) teaching myself Java, etc. all day?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No I didn't, so I had to work twice as hard as others who had programming experience. The department says that you don't actually need any prior experience, but thats BS, you'll be far behind without it. Well, yeah you can learn Java, e.t.c, but I would strongly suggest that you learn Scheme and a bit of C (but pay moe attention to Scheme), since CS majors use these two languages in first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@spock100 wrote
No I didn't, so I had to work twice as hard as others who had programming experience. The department says that you don't actually need any prior experience, but thats BS, you'll be far behind without it. Well, yeah you can learn Java, e.t.c, but I would strongly suggest that you learn Scheme and a bit of C (but pay moe attention to Scheme), since CS majors use these two languages in first year.

Yeah, I meant I can try to get introductory experience to all of them. How are they different? Would the 2 prior summer months really help?

The fact that you didn't have any programming experience lightens me..

How many other kids are like you? What marks are you getting?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amoled123 amoled123

@waazup wrote

-no relevant programming experience EXCEPT for my gr.10 & 11 computer engineering class

Plus decent EC's, a few leadership/executive positions in about 2 - 4, about 5-8 (solid) EC's in total? + Also awards for courses.

My primary target is business, and it may seem to them like i'm just applying there for fun and as a backup...so they may think they are "wasting" an offer...?? I really hope this is not the case.
Because having no programming experience indicates that the application is for a back-up only...

The way universities calculate your average is a formula as simple as this:
(Prereqs + Top (6- # of prereqs) Courses )/ 6
Aka for compsci you have (ENG12U avg + Calc&Vectors avg + Advfun avg + top 3 U/M courses). Then of course the other funky adjustments that Waterloo makes (CCC and math competition scores and AIF).

With a 90+ average and even modest ECs you should be fine. Also, unless you're talking about getting early acceptance, grade 11 marks don't matter. If you have strong grade 11 marks you may end up getting accepted early (I know people who did).

Got into BBA/BCS last year with a little under 90 (with that average calculation) and really good ECs.

You'd be just fine. It's good your starting your research early!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@amoled123 wrote

@waazup wrote

The way universities calculate your average is a formula as simple as this:
(Prereqs + Top (6- # of prereqs) Courses )/ 6
Aka for compsci you have (ENG12U avg + Calc&Vectors avg + Advfun avg + top 3 U/M courses). Then of course the other funky adjustments that Waterloo makes (CCC and math competition scores and AIF).

With a 90+ average and even modest ECs you should be fine. Also, unless you're talking about getting early acceptance, grade 11 marks don't matter. If you have strong grade 11 marks you may end up getting accepted early (I know people who did).

Got into BBA/BCS last year with a little under 90 (with that average calculation) and really good ECs.

You'd be just fine. It's good your starting your research early!

Thanks for the info! You are doing BBA/BCS too! How do YOU rank it? Any problems?

And most importantly, have you had programming exp before entering UW? How many other kids have this advantage? Is it like REALLY tough to catch up? What marks you getting? I really want to be caught up w/ everyone by at least 2nd year 2nd sem..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
bump..
Was this helpful? Yes 0