yconic - Waterloo Computer Science vs U of T computer science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Computer Science vs U of T computer science

A photo of computerengineer computerengineer
Just wanted to know what are good/bad about each. Also, does anyone know if it is possible to switch from com science to engineering in either universities and how to do it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I can't speak for UofT but I'll give my opinions. I think generally the point of taking CS is to get a job so since UW has co-op, it really has the upper hand.

For CompSci to Eng in UW, I think it's possible but you'd basically have to start at year 1 again.

Edit: By the looks of it, you didn't even apply to UW CS - so why bother asking?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox
the quality of education for CS at UW and U of T is the same, look into other things when deciding where to go. Don't ask which place is better, ask which place is better for YOU! some people would prefer going to waterloo because of the multiple co-ops, others would prefer to go to toronto for the one long internship, decide what you like better. waterloo doesn't have the upper hand over toronto just because it has co-op, and toronto doesn't have an upper hand over waterloo either just because it has PEY.

UW = U of T

make your decision based on residence, where you would rather live, decide whether you prefer co-op (multiple but short) or PEY (one but long), how expensive it will be to go to either university, flexibilty, course offerings, etc.

you're not destined for success just because you go to waterloo or toronto, and your employment prospects are pretty much the same regardless of where you go.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

@madox wrote
the quality of education for CS at UW and U of T is the same, look into other things when deciding where to go. Don't ask which place is better, ask which place is better for YOU! some people would prefer going to waterloo because of the multiple co-ops, others would prefer to go to toronto for the one long internship, decide what you like better. waterloo doesn't have the upper hand over toronto just because it has co-op, and toronto doesn't have an upper hand over waterloo either just because it has PEY.

UW = U of T

make your decision based on residence, where you would rather live, decide whether you prefer co-op (multiple but short) or PEY (one but long), how expensive it will be to go to either university, flexibilty, course offerings, etc.

you're not destined for success just because you go to waterloo or toronto, and your employment prospects are pretty much the same regardless of where you go.

You're confident that the quality of the education is the same? Waterloo is the only university with an entire school dedicated to computer science.

You seriously believe PEY has an advantage compared to UW CS coop? Have you seen the type of internships UW upper year coops are getting? Even the slightly above average CS student/Engineering can get a coop in California these days in UW.

I'm all for making decisions based on fit above all, but I think you're exaggerating the quality of the academic and internship experiences.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of madox madox

@immaculatedx wrote

@madox wrote

UW = U of T

You're confident that the quality of the education is the same? Waterloo is the only university with an entire school dedicated to computer science.

You seriously believe PEY has an advantage compared to UW CS coop? Have you seen the type of internships UW upper year coops are getting? Even the slightly above average CS student/Engineering can get a coop in California these days in UW.

I'm all for making decisions based on fit above all, but I think you're exaggerating the quality of the academic and internship experiences.

"You're confident that the quality of the education is the same? Waterloo is the only university with an entire school dedicated to computer science."

What does that prove? I could say that because Toronto's CS is older, has produced more significant research, gets more money, that Stephen Cook's P=NP problem also put Toronto's CS on the map quite early, etc. that U of T is better than Waterloo.

"You seriously believe PEY has an advantage compared to UW CS coop? Have you seen the type of internships UW upper year coops are getting? Even the slightly above average CS student/Engineering can get a coop in California these days in UW."

I never said that. I said depending on the person, PEY could be better than co-op, or vice versa. Its up to the individual to decide. Some will prefer one longer internship over multiple shorter co-ops. All kinds of students can get great internships/co-ops. A reason why you may see more Waterloo students in California is because more of them do co-op. At Toronto, I believe only about 80 people did PEY last year, compared to the entire CS department at Waterloo. People do tend to make more with UW co-op, but that's because they work for 8-12 months longer. The hourly wages of students are probably similar. Something else to note, U of T CS PEY has a placement success rate of about 98%, with an average salary of 48k (according to Steve Engels). Not bad for 12-16 months of work.

"I'm all for making decisions based on fit above all, but I think you're exaggerating the quality of the academic and internship experiences."

I don't think I exaggerated anything and I stand by my statements. UofT = UW. If you're deciding where to go, look at secondary things other than the quality of education.

Was this helpful? Yes 1

@madox wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@madox wrote

UW = U of T

"You're confident that the quality of the education is the same? Waterloo is the only university with an entire school dedicated to computer science."

What does that prove? I could say that because Toronto's CS is older, has produced more significant research, gets more money, that Stephen Cook's P=NP problem also put Toronto's CS on the map quite early, etc. that U of T is better than Waterloo.

"You seriously believe PEY has an advantage compared to UW CS coop? Have you seen the type of internships UW upper year coops are getting? Even the slightly above average CS student/Engineering can get a coop in California these days in UW."

I never said that. I said depending on the person, PEY could be better than co-op, or vice versa. Its up to the individual to decide. Some will prefer one longer internship over multiple shorter co-ops. All kinds of students can get great internships/co-ops. A reason why you may see more Waterloo students in California is because more of them do co-op. At Toronto, I believe only about 80 people did PEY last year, compared to the entire CS department at Waterloo. People do tend to make more with UW co-op, but that's because they work for 8-12 months longer. The hourly wages of students are probably similar. Something else to note, U of T CS PEY has a placement success rate of about 98%, with an average salary of 48k (according to Steve Engels). Not bad for 12-16 months of work.

"I'm all for making decisions based on fit above all, but I think you're exaggerating the quality of the academic and internship experiences."

I don't think I exaggerated anything and I stand by my statements. UofT = UW. If you're deciding where to go, look at secondary things other than the quality of education.

None of what you said about UofT makes it have a better undergraduate program in teaching computer science.

You can ask employers and students (From both schools)... I don't think you'll find many people claiming that UofT CS = UW CS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serllen Serllen

@immaculatedx wrote

None of what you said about UofT makes it have a better undergraduate program in teaching computer science.

You can ask employers and students (From both schools)... I don't think you'll find many people claiming that UofT CS = UW CS.

So you expect people to say UofT CS > UW CS and/or UofT CS < UW CS?
This never-ending debate on UofT CS comparing to UW CS is just really pointless.(not just this forum, but also other forums out there that discuss universities) There are so many other factors (ex: student life, specialized programs, profs, environment, school atmosphere...etc) that will take into account to determine which school is better and it really depends on what one's preference is like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox

@immaculatedx wrote

@madox wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@madox wrote

UW = U of T

"None of what you said about UofT makes it have a better undergraduate program in teaching computer science."

You haven't said anything that proves UW has a better undergraduate CS program than UofT. All you said was that all of UW is dedicated to CS, but that means nothing. All of UOIT is also dedicated to engineering, does that mean it's the best engineering school in Canada as well? You made the claim that UW is the best CS school in Canada, the burden of proof is on you, and you still haven't proved it.

"You can ask employers and students (From both schools)... I don't think you'll find many people claiming that UofT CS = UW CS."

Prove it. This is just a statement without any facts to support it. I could find plenty of people at any university that would say the CS program at another school is better. There are unhappy people at every university.

Was this helpful? Yes 1

What a guy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox

@immaculatedx wrote
What a guy.

Good argument. Goodbye.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
@madox, your first post summed it up pretty well...

i agrew with you. uoft is a perfectly fine choice.

@madox wrote

UW = U of T

Was this helpful? Yes 1