yconic - Waterloo Computer Science Woes
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Computer Science Woes

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi there, I just applied to the University of Waterloo's Computer Science program, and I'm really scared that I'm not going to get any acceptance. Here are my current grades:

Computer Science 4U - 94
Computer Engineering 4U - 96
Design Technology 4U - 95
Calculus and Vectors 4U - 67
Advanced Functions 4U - 77
English 4U - 76

I just wanted to know if I'm safe for application, as it's been my dream to attend Waterloo. I could re-take Calculus but I was told I'd loose 3-5% points off my admission if I did.

Could anyone please take some stress off my back?

Thanks in Advance,
dashman
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of saber33 saber33
I wouldn't say your safe. Mid 80s average is the cutoff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

my average would work out to an 84.16667 :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes I know. I calculated your average in order to respond to your question of whether or not you have high enough marks to make you safe for admission. You do not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do you recommend I do? (a calculus retake is possible)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not certain of how much percentage Waterloo takes off for retaken courses, so let's assume the high possibility you posted of 5%. Let's assume you get a 90 in Calculus.

You would then have an 88% average, 83% with the loss of a retaken course. As your average increases with every 6 marks, you cannot get higher than an 85% by retaking the course. Hopefully you have good ECs for the supplementary form, as that can increase your chances.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
No offence, but are you sure you should be going into CS (especially at Waterloo) with those kind of math marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I applied to Waterloo computer science as well. But, if I get accepted, I probably won't be choosing their program. Maybe that'll make you feel better. :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0