yconic - Waterloo Co-op Question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Co-op Question

A photo of Chovester Chovester
I heard from someone that if you don't keep up a certain average in a co-op program in Waterloo, they drop you down to a regular program..D:
Is this true?

If it its, what happens if the course you got into doesn't have a regular program? Do you just get kicked out?

Oh, and another quick question..
What are the benefits of attending the student life 101?
I heard you get your WatCards, but can't you also get them on your first day of school?
Is it something that's really beneficial to attend?
I live a bit far from Waterloo, and I'm not really willing to stay there over a night either..D: So just wondering :)
Thankyou
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of phylloconcrete phylloconcrete
You need to maintain a 70% average to stay in co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
phyllo: Wrong. You need a 60% average to remain in co-op (at least in the math faculty).

See http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/MATH-Math-Faculty-Policies (section 5).

As for student life 101, I didn't go and I didn't miss anything. It's certainly not necessary, though you can make some friends there and get a little bit more comfortable with campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chovester Chovester
There was a schedule for writing the "English Proficiency Exam" on the Student Life 101, but I thought you wrote that after you got into UW.. Do the people who attend the Student Life 101 get to write it ahead of others (ones who did not attend)?

and I also heard you get to buy used textbooks during Student Life 101.. do you get a list of textbooks you will need for your courses before that date?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@Chovester wrote
There was a schedule for writing the "English Proficiency Exam" on the Student Life 101, but I thought you wrote that after you got into UW.. Do the people who attend the Student Life 101 get to write it ahead of others (ones who did not attend)?

you can choose to write it during student life 101 or 1st week of orientation/school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack
Yea I can't go to student life 101 (although I'll be at Shad at UW for all of july)
I asked them and they said you just take the english test later in september
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@Chovester wrote
I heard from someone that if you don't keep up a certain average in a co-op program in Waterloo, they drop you down to a regular program..D:
Is this true?

If it its, what happens if the course you got into doesn't have a regular program? Do you just get kicked out?

Oh, and another quick question..
What are the benefits of attending the student life 101?
I heard you get your WatCards, but can't you also get them on your first day of school?
Is it something that's really beneficial to attend?
I live a bit far from Waterloo, and I'm not really willing to stay there over a night either..D: So just wondering :)
Thankyou

n university, we call them "PROGRAMS" or "DEGREES" not "COURSES" because each degree or program requires around 40 courses.

anyways, say youre in engineering. all engineers at waterloo have mandatory coop. if you screw up, it really depends on what your program advisor will do to you. i mean, if you just didnt put up any effort at all, then either you write a good petition to name out the possible personal issues that you had to go through, or you just drop out if they don't find any good reasons.

at this point they will probably refer you to another faculty WITH a regular program - i.e. math, cs, science.

student life 101 - i never went to it either. yes you can get them throughout your 1st week ( frosh week! ) it'll be fine.

English exam - your exam date depends on your faculty. math + engineering takes it during frosh week (it was wed morning for us last sept) and for arts & sci in april. if you fail , you take it the next term it's available to be retaken. Lol but dont worry it wont be too hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chovester wrote

and I also heard you get to buy used textbooks during Student Life 101.. do you get a list of textbooks you will need for your courses before that date?

So, I have recently been informed that Student Life 101 has been completely made over this term. In the past, it used to be like a big day tour. Now it's an overnight thing, allowing you to stay in res for a night and they even let you write the ELPE early. This could be of use to the people who write it during Frosh Week because you'd know if you failed in advance.

I say "know if you've failed" because I must caution you about the ELPE: it is not hard, but it is EXTREMELY particular. Take it from someone who passed "with distinction", e.g. a rare perfect score. Basically, they want a template essay on THEIR terms, they want it well-written, they don't want any grammatical mistakes. They want a title. Read their standards and you should have no issue passing. If you don't, you might fail because of leaving out a title or something silly. So don't underestimate the standards, as it's a pain. And remember, you only have 50 minutes, so if you haven't written AP or IB exams or the like, make sure you plan your time wisely.

But anyhow, SL101 sounds kinda cool now. I'd recommend if you were in the area (e.g. close to southern Ontario, not just in the city or surrounding area), you should go. I suspect upper years will be preparing for it and since there are many groups over many days, they will have a lot of fun showing you around.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ oh really where did you hear that from? o__O IDK why Waterloo would put in the budget for askin kids to come in for a night to do an English exam & explore the campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aimango wrote
^ oh really where did you hear that from? o__O IDK why Waterloo would put in the budget for askin kids to come in for a night to do an English exam & explore the campus.

See any of the new material for SL101. Google should yield a link. Some buddy of mine was telling me about this, also suggested I should represent SCS in a more official manner but then I wouldn't be able to say whatever I want :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh wow.. yeah Im looking through the schedule and stuff - LOL you kids be lucky! It'll definitely help you guys feel ready for uni, esp since in the summer term theres a lot less people so its less intimidating : P Waterloo gives me surprises errday xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Why can't they just accept everyone?
It saves money too, you don't need to hire a group of admissions councillors.
-___-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted