yconic - Waterloo Co-op vs Tornto Co-op
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Co-op vs Tornto Co-op

A photo of Willimaru Willimaru
I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on both the Waterloo co-op and Toronto's Co-op. since they both are structured differently, which one do you guys think is better? more beneficial? or easier to find a job for? Thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of sascer520 sascer520
You didn't specify your program. Is it CompSci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Well they work the same for compsci/math/engineering/everything pretty much. I think Waterloo's is probably better BUT I prefer U of T's for myself just because I don't like moving around too much and I like to have time off and I'd rather find a summer research job with a lot more flexibility than just an ordinary co-op job. I think Waterloo's is more beneficial though in the end (slight bias, brother goes there lol)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Willimaru Willimaru
I thought it was for all engineering programs get to have co-op if they choose at UofT and mandatory at Waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
U of T doesn't have co-op, they have a year-long internship called PEY or whatever. You pretty much work at one company for 12-16 months between year 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th year. This extends graduation by a year. You can choose to do summer internships (eSIP) but I heard it's pretty uncommon.
This is all for engineering btw, but I'm pretty sure it works the same way for other stuff at U of T.
At Waterloo it's 4 months of school, 4 months of work, 4 months of school, etc.
But you get to work at 5-6 (7?) different places, but only for 4 months at each place (you could do 4 months twice or three times at one place though I suppose)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
The comments on PEY vs. Coop are correct. It's really a preference thing which you would prefer but Waterloo has the most established co-op system in the North America.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny
Depends on what you like.
UW: Try out possibly 6 different companies, but won't see projects from start to finish. Also first term it's not easy getting a job according to my friends, that is unless you have some serious side projects/studied outside of class material.
UofT: Pick one company, but get a better professional experience. And at UofT almost everyone who applies for PEY gets a job.

Money wise both Co-Op and PEY average out the same income. It can still vary vastly from person to person.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
In order to put away any concerns about "Will I find a job?!?!" 98% of CS students in their 2nd co-op term found a job for the winter. 3 did not. These 3 students most likely had little to no experience, and spoke poor english, and had a terrible resume. Unless you have no volunteer experience or speak no english, you will be fine with getting a job.

@arviny: Not sure why you say UofT gives you a better "professional" experience. Seems like a load of bull crap. At worse they're the same. Also, your statement that says you won't see a project from start to finish is also rather poor. A good co-op term will include multiple projects/work assignments most times, or atleast have you complete your piece of the puzzle. Its not like you are asked to design something, and at the end of the term you pass it on to someone else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0