yconic - Waterloo ECE || My Chances?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo ECE || My Chances?

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Are those your final Grade 12 grades?
I think you'll be okay. Your average is above the cutoff, and you have impressive and relevant EC's, as well as notable performance in contests. I would be surprised if you didn't get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Are those your final Grade 12 grades?
I think you'll be okay. Your average is above the cutoff, and you have impressive and relevant EC's, as well as notable performance in contests. I would be surprised if you didn't get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Agreed with above. I think you're pretty close to the admission average but those are some really great ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cpeister cpeister
Yep, average could be a little higher for more security, but the ECs are really good. I think they like robotics on the AIF. FIRST? What team#? I am a 781 alum.

The contests also should help, as well as the MMORPG.

Don't slack off, but if you maintain and improve you ?should? be okay. Last year I heard of people with 90+ getting rejected, even with ECs, so it is really hard to say for sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cpeister wrote
Yep, average could be a little higher for more security, but the ECs are really good. I think they like robotics on the AIF. FIRST? What team#? I am a 781 alum.

The contests also should help, as well as the MMORPG.

Don't slack off, but if you maintain and improve you ?should? be okay. Last year I heard of people with 90+ getting rejected, even with ECs, so it is really hard to say for sure.

Really? 90+ averages with EC's getting rejected?
haha great.. D:

I don't have many relevant EC's so I'm depending on my grades to get me accepted..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Urnehpets Urnehpets
Might I ask what the name of the MMORPG is?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

English is a pre-req for every program, so I feel as though it doesn't have too much of a weight (it's my weaker subject too). As for Chemistry, I don't know how important it is in comparison, but I would think that Physics and Math are more important for engineering. Your grades aren't bad though, I wouldn't worry too much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MrTwiggy MrTwiggy
As far as I can tell, SoulSplit.com just seems like a server or mod for runescape? If it is, then you should be clear to clarify that you didn't actual 'make' an mmorpg.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@MrTwiggy wrote
As far as I can tell, SoulSplit.com just seems like a server or mod for runescape? If it is, then you should be clear to clarify that you didn't actual 'make' an mmorpg.

Who is going to make the Game Engine?
BTW, Soulsplit isn't a runescape server, it is using a runescape client which has been outdated and altered so that it is not prosecuted by copyright laws hence making it legal.

Runescape does not release their server sided stuff so it is up to ourselves to make it. I spent around 6 months making the game and the content is 90% different than real runescape.

SO you are mistaken, like many others are. We don't have a professional team to design the graphic arts and stuff like that and i myself am horrible at it. So we are delaying the client release. As per now, it is using a modified game client which does not break copyright laws.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@iRamie wrote

@MrTwiggy wrote

BTW, Soulsplit isn't a runescape server, it is using a runescape client which has been outdated and altered so that it is not prosecuted by copyright laws hence making it legal.

Runescape does not release their server sided stuff so it is up to ourselves to make it. I spent around 6 months making the game and the content is 90% different than real runescape.

SO you are mistaken, like many others are. We don't have a professional team to design the graphic arts and stuff like that and i myself am horrible at it. So we are delaying the client release. As per now, it is using a modified game client which does not break copyright laws.

Did you make the graphics, animations, interactions, etc.?
Changing names, items, and other "information/content" doesn't make it yours. There are probably a thousand other RS servers or "distinct clients".

BTW, modifying any client may not break copyright laws (since it takes only writing/etc. into regard), but definitely the patents that RS is under. Stealing the RS game code is against the terms and conditions. I'm sure at 17 you got no sort of licensing as of yet, and you most likely won't be able to obtain one. You're an easy target for thousands of dollars filed against you, I would rather be safe than sorry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MrTwiggy MrTwiggy

@iRamie wrote

@MrTwiggy wrote

Changing a section of code in a copyrighted product doesn't remove the copyright by any means. And adding/modifying content from an existing MMORPG game and engine, as well as using the same assets (Art, sound, etc.) doesn't consitute as 'building an mmorpg'. In my opinion. Especially if the engine and assets in question were not licensed and were under copyright protection. Though, you are free to do as your like. I just though I would suggest clarifying that in any application to schools. I don't know about anyone else, but I would find that quite misleading, and I would hate for you to have your admission jeopardized over bad wording. That is, however, just my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@MrTwiggy wrote

@iRamie wrote

@MrTwiggy wrote

Changing a section of code in a copyrighted product doesn't remove the copyright by any means. And adding/modifying content from an existing MMORPG game and engine, as well as using the same assets (Art, sound, etc.) doesn't consitute as 'building an mmorpg'. In my opinion. Especially if the engine and assets in question were not licensed and were under copyright protection. Though, you are free to do as your like. I just though I would suggest clarifying that in any application to schools. I don't know about anyone else, but I would find that quite misleading, and I would hate for you to have your admission jeopardized over bad wording. That is, however, just my opinion.

Sir/Mam, i have been running it for around 2 years now and have not run into legal issues.
In fact, since you seem to be paranoid, let me tell you that Jagex Ltd (Makers of Runescape) contacted me already regarding this issue and i stated that it was for educational purposes.

Also, read the footer on the website.

Also, the CLIENT (Which contains the artwork), must connect to a GAME SERVER which handles the actual MMORPG and sends packets to the client creating the online gameplay. The GAME SERVER was completely coded in c# by me. It is exactly 6.3mB with over 100000 lines of code in it. The packethandling, saving, the whole thing was done by me. I may have gotten some help on some parts, but majority was mine.

Now speaking about the client, Jagex released the old one to the public after their lawsuit with the Snellman brothers..
get ur facts straight before you go away boasting some stupid argument. If it was illegal, i wouldn't write it on my AIF.

@sevenx7 wrote

@iRamie wrote

@MrTwiggy wrote

Did you make the graphics, animations, interactions, etc.?
Changing names, items, and other "information/content" doesn't make it yours. There are probably a thousand other RS servers or "distinct clients".

BTW, modifying any client may not break copyright laws (since it takes only writing/etc. into regard), but definitely the patents that RS is under. Stealing the RS game code is against the terms and conditions. I'm sure at 17 you got no sort of licensing as of yet, and you most likely won't be able to obtain one. You're an easy target for thousands of dollars filed against you, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Read the post above for the lawsuit stuff, and im not stealing, they let everyone use it since it was already hacked.

THERE IS 2 different THINGS TO CONSIDER.

THE GAME ENGINE and the CLIENT.
the game engine is what matters, the client can be changed any day. Im just waiting till i get into a good university to work with a good team and create my own client, but right now, i am in no position to do so.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
An 88% average and no ECs got me an offer from UW ECE. That being said, your English mark is a bit low.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Urnehpets Urnehpets
Sigh. Now if you had actually created a client, then THAT would've been impressive!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@Urnehpets wrote
Sigh. Now if you had actually created a client, then THAT would've been impressive!

Again, i don't think you're understanding how hard it is. The server itself was a mission to make, and the client is just the same amount of work with a ton of graphics integrated to it.

The reason i don't want to bother is because you need a professional team for that who has good linguistic skills (For user Prompts), and good Artistic skills (GUI) and some excellent animators (GFX and Animations).

Unfortunately, I only have 1 of afformentioned 3 as a close friend. As a result, i can not continue with this part of the project unless i go to an environment where i can meet people with those skills (Hence, University).

@LRooke wrote
An 88% average and no ECs got me an offer from UW ECE. That being said, your English mark is a bit low.

If you're english mark is below 80 is that a problem? Even though your average may be above 86
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@iRamie wrote
im just scared because my chem mark and my english mark are low. IDK if they weight chem and english more than ICS or something like that.

Your english mark is important. Don't let any of the prerequisite marks slip under 80. Your CS and QE courses don't hold much weight in the evaluation.

The most important marks are:

SPH4U
MHF4U
MCV4U
ENG4U

Keep all of these above 85% and you will be in good shape.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@LRooke wrote

If you're english mark is below 80 is that a problem? Even though your average may be above 86[/quote]

If you are barely holding steady at 80% at this point in your course, your average is going to drop. English gets harder.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of n0y0x n0y0x
Highly likely you'll get in, but...

Are you sure you want to come to UW? From what I see of ece, it's stupid hard and stupid stupid. For example, they learn C# because Micro$oft gave us a bunch of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@n0y0x wrote
Highly likely you'll get in, but...

Are you sure you want to come to UW? From what I see of ece, it's stupid hard and stupid stupid. For example, they learn C# because Micro$oft gave us a bunch of money.

What do you mean by stupid hard?
And do you know the approximate graduation percentage for engineering at waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Irvanjit802 Irvanjit802
U not get in, STUPIT
VATERVOO avg for CE 96% last year yaar
go to seneca
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@Irvanjit802 wrote
U not get in, STUPIT
VATERVOO avg for CE 96% last year yaar
go to seneca

You, Sikh.

Can it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pimdwitte pimdwitte
I'd just like to make clear that Soulsplit was not created by this person. I am the actual owner of the game. As you can see the game is based in the Netherlands. There is no way this person could have made it.

Thank you,

Pim de Witte
CEO | Soulsplit.com
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Gizmoguy19 Gizmoguy19
As long as your overall average for the top 6 courses is in the 85-90 range, you should be fine. ECs do weigh significantly, and since you have enough of those, it REALLY adds on to your AIF. Individual course marks must be above 70. But overall, average must be above 80 (to qualify for admission)

Don't sweat it now. Leave that for when you are actually in the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0