yconic - Waterloo ECE?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo ECE?

A photo of HappyLiz HappyLiz
So any current waterloo computer/electrical engineers want to give me some insight into this program? (difficulty, social life, how interesting it is...)

I'm currently a Grade 11 student hoping to get accepted into ECE next year

- HappyLiz :sunny:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of plato plato

@HappyLiz wrote
So any current waterloo computer/electrical engineers want to give me some insight into this program? (difficulty, social life, how interesting it is...)

I'm currently a Grade 11 student hoping to get accepted into ECE next year

- HappyLiz :sunny:

Hey liz,

The program is difficult, but reasnoable with good time management skills. Social life is pretty much doing problems sets with your friends. But there is a lot of engineering events that let you socialize with your peers. There are not a lot of women in ECE, maybe 10%. However, everyone is friendly and close-knit. Engineers work together as team members more than any other program. You would enjoy it.... but you have to be a little bit of a geek to really have fun :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HappyLiz HappyLiz
Thanks! Sounds like the place for me :)

Also, I was wondering how much previous knowledge with computers you should have for this program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@HappyLiz wrote
Thanks! Sounds like the place for me :)

Also, I was wondering how much previous knowledge with computers you should have for this program.

The program assumes no prior knowledge of computers, so you don't need any. However, you will do better in the application process along with first semester if you learn a little bit of programming. Joining a computer club in your school would also look nice as an EC.

You have an advantage in the admissions process being a woman. Keep your marks in the mid eighties or higher range and you're very likely to get in. As I've mentioned in other threads, the most important courses they look at are:

SPH4U
MHF4U
MCV4U
ENG4U

Cheers,

P

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour

@plato wrote

You have an advantage in the admissions process being a woman.

Does being a female applicant actually give you a slight advantage when applying for engineering? All the admission reps deny it haha

Hopefully though :3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@ninetyfour wrote

@plato wrote

Does being a female applicant actually give you a slight advantage when applying for engineering? All the admission reps deny it haha

All other things being equal, along side a male applicant,
a female applicant has the edge of fulfilling the diversity requirement
(breaking up the sausage party).

So long as the number of female applicants is under 50%, there is this slight advantage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour

@plato wrote

@ninetyfour wrote

@plato wrote

All other things being equal, along side a male applicant,
a female applicant has the edge of fulfilling the diversity requirement
(breaking up the sausage party).

So long as the number of female applicants is under 50%, there is this slight advantage.

sausage party hahahaha
Was this helpful? Yes 0