yconic - Waterloo Engineering AIF
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Engineering AIF

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Does anyone have the AIF for Waterloo engineering, especially Eoftware engineering? I just want to see what they will ask so i can be prepared ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of RobertHogg RobertHogg
It's up on the website now, you don't have to fill it out in one go and if it's anything like the CS AIF (which it probably is, they share a faculty) than it won't be due until March.

Again, not 100% sure this applies to you, but on mine they asked for:

marks,

if you planned to write the Euclid Contest,

a teacher reference (Advanced Functions or Calculus teachers only, but since you're in Software Engineering that might be different for you. Physics or Chemistry teachers might also be acceptable but it will say...),

A 900-character description of your interest in Waterloo, why you picked your program, your academic interests and whatnot

A 900-character "interesting stuff the school should know about you" description

Summary of volunteer experiences, if you've had a job, that sort of stuff

It's not really that bad... it's not a huge deal. But make sure you write well.:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of intec123 intec123
Hey geniuses, a simple question for ya :)
on the AIF for Computer engineering (I think it applies for other progs as well),
under the "Courses" tab, there are two 'questions' requesting for courses/marks.
Question 1 says Current 2010/2011 Courses/Subjects (*Required)
and Question 2 says Courses/Subjects Prior to Fall 2010
Ok, so far so good. So, they want courses I'm taking THIS year, and the courses I took LAST year. Right?

But, when you read the descriptions, it says
FOR QUESTION 1:
Ontario students: List all Grade 12U and Grade 12M courses/subjects that you have completed in the 2010/2011 school year (by the end of June 2011). Include your final mark for any course that you have completed.

FOR QUESTION 2:
Ontario students: List all Grade 12U and Grade 12M courses/subjects that you have completed in the 2010/2011 school year (by the end of June 2011). Include your final mark for any course that you have completed.

There IS NO DIFFERENCE!!
It's so trippy; how can the engineering department make such confusing instructions?
anyone help me out please?

AND, IS IT ONLY ME OR IS THE QUEST WEBSITE JUST SOOOO SLOW?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
Yeah, Quest is really slow.

I would assume that the second question is anything completed by the end of June 2010. There have been typos on the AIF before and I think they've already updated it once. I would just assume it's a mistake.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I'm pretty sure one is 2010/2011 and the other is 2009/2010 - but only grd 12 courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
what are we suppose to write under "LEVEL"? the grade level? 12??? but aren't they only asking for grade 12 courses? maybe U or M? but it should say in the course name..:S SO CONFUSED!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@Haru wrote
what are we suppose to write under "LEVEL"? the grade level? 12??? but aren't they only asking for grade 12 courses? maybe U or M? but it should say in the course name..:S SO CONFUSED!

I just put 12U and 12M. While the Course code would tell you that as well not everyone is from Ontario, and so they need to distinguish the level. Also for IB/AP/A level courses they need to know that they aren't the regular high school course if you put the name of the course rather than the code (i.e. Calculus instead of MCV-4U)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kooh Kooh

@intec123 wrote
on the AIF for Computer engineering (I think it applies for other progs as well),
under the "Courses" tab, there are two 'questions' requesting for courses/marks.
Ok, so far so good. So, they want courses I'm taking THIS year, and the courses I took LAST year. Right?

FOR QUESTION 1:

So does this mean that if we have not yet completed some courses we would exclude it from the courses tab. For example: I have 3 classes that I finished last semester and have not yet found out the final mark in them. I would include the final mark I got for it but what about the other classes in Second semester or just leave the course mark box empty
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of North North

@Kooh wrote

@intec123 wrote

FOR QUESTION 1:

So does this mean that if we have not yet completed some courses we would exclude it from the courses tab. For example: I have 3 classes that I finished last semester and have not yet found out the final mark in them. I would include the final mark I got for it but what about the other classes in Second semester or just leave the course mark box empty

Yes, if you are taking the course just leave the mark box empty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kooh Kooh
For the AIF, when it says 900 characters is that with spaces or not? I assuming that it is with spaces, but just to make sure
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of geetikas34 geetikas34
There is an essay on "Reading Interests" for Engineering students. What are we expected to right about? Does the book/article have to be related to Engineering/Science? I was thinking of writing about a Science Fiction book. Will that be appropriate?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wu wu

@Kooh wrote
For the AIF, when it says 900 characters is that with spaces or not? I assuming that it is with spaces, but just to make sure

With space, plus it wont let you save if you go over the limit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@geetikas34 wrote
There is an essay on "Reading Interests" for Engineering students. What are we expected to right about? Does the book/article have to be related to Engineering/Science? I was thinking of writing about a Science Fiction book. Will that be appropriate?

what they are looking for here is for a little diversity. dont do something related to eng/sci, do an actual novel if you can. i just copy pasted + edited 1 of my bonus book report assignments from english class lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0