yconic - Waterloo Engineering Co-op??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Engineering Co-op??

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx
[color=darkblue]Hi everyone, I was wondering if I would be able to get into Waterloo for Chemical Engineering...

Grade 11:
Chemistry- 90%
Physics- 87%
Functions- 97%
English- 84%
Biology- 90%
Geography- 94%

and I also had Co-op in gr. 11 and got 100% XD.

Semester One:
Advanced Functions- 96%
Physics- 87%
English- 83%

EDIT:

Semester Two: (Mid-Terms)
Calculus & Vectors- 97%
Biology- 90%
Chemistry- 91%

EC's:
Senior Editor of Yearbook
President of the Eco-Team
Math tutor
Math Club
[/color]
For current Waterloo students:

If you get a co-op job that is far from campus and your home, how do you find living accommodations and transportation?
Does it cost a lot during your co-op term because you have to pay for rent, food, etc?
Is it hard to find co-op engineering jobs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Yeah, most likely
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ninetyfour wrote
Yeah, most likely

Wow, you got into McMaster Engineering already?? How did you do it?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ferinthul Ferinthul
You find the co-op job yourself. So youd find places that are near your home and stuff
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@StellaSparx wrote

@ninetyfour wrote
Yeah, most likely

Wow, you got into McMaster Engineering already?? How did you do it?!

Haha, I bribed them with large amounts of money
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gizmoguy19 Gizmoguy19

@StellaSparx wrote

If you get a co-op job that is far from campus and your home, how do you find living accommodations and transportation?
Does it cost a lot during your co-op term because you have to pay for rent, food, etc?

There are special housing information sessions where the Waterloo Housing Facility provides information on finding a place to stay in case your coop job is far from campus.
But naturally, you have to arrange for housing and transportation on your own.

Finding coop jobs in engineering may be difficult, however if you can produce a solid resume and give a decent interview, there won't be any shortage of offers from employers. You may not end up getting a job in the first round of offers, but will most-likely end up getting it by the last round of offers comes around.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gizmoguy19 wrote

@StellaSparx wrote

There are special housing information sessions where the Waterloo Housing Facility provides information on finding a place to stay in case your coop job is far from campus.

Finding coop jobs in engineering may be difficult, however if you can produce a solid resume and give a decent interview, there won't be any shortage of offers from employers. You may not end up getting a job in the first round of offers, but will most-likely end up getting it by the last round of offers comes around.

Thanks for the response :cyclops: but what happens if you don't get a job at all during your co-op term? Do you lose credits or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@StellaSparx wrote

Thanks for the response :cyclops: but what happens if you don't get a job at all during your co-op term? Do you lose credits or something?

In Engineering at UW, you have 6 work terms available to you over the course of the undergraduate degree. The minimum requirement for graduation is the completion of 5 work terms. Thus, if you are unable to find a work placement for your very first term, it's fine. Once you manage to get one co-op job, the second one will probably be much easier as you now have experience on your resume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@StellaSparx wrote

You find living accommodations and transportation on your own. Craigslist is probably the best resource for major cities, so long as you're careful not to chase after anything that seems too good to be true. Kijiji is good for smaller areas in Ontario. There are also some other resources, such as the UW off-campus housing website, and the co-op manual can direct you for transportation resources in the area. You'll probably take public transit where you work, so make sure to try to find a place on a bus route! Google maps helps for this.

It can cost a lot in living expenses for co-op terms, depending on where you work. But you're also paying such expenses when you're in school...

It is hard for engineers to find co-op jobs, yes. But it's hard for everyone! Be thankful you're not in arts or science, because it's way harder for them. There are a lot of opportunities, but it's competitive. Just do your best and put in lots of effort, and you should be able to find work.

Let me know if you have any more questions! ^_^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@StellaSparx wrote

@Gizmoguy19 wrote

@StellaSparx wrote

It happens, and you are actually allowed to keep searching for a job even when the term starts. Your co-op duration must be at least 3 months, so if you are able to find a placement a little late but still work for min of 3 months, you will get your credit for that co-op term.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Question about residence, do you get to choose which style of rez you want? Is there a form for it cause all I found was the "Residence Community Ranking Form" which only outlines your preference b/w waterloo, renison, st. jeromes, and st. pauls.

I really want to be in UWP or MKV!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@StellaSparx wrote
Question about residence, do you get to choose which style of rez you want? Is there a form for it cause all I found was the "Residence Community Ranking Form" which only outlines your preference b/w waterloo, renison, st. jeromes, and st. pauls.

I really want to be in UWP or MKV!

You get to choose which residence you want in UW, Renison, STJ, STP, etc. Assuming you choose UW, you can then rank between REV, CLV, V1, UWP, MKV. MKV is quite popular so don't get your hopes up but generally UWP doesn't require much luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi everyone,

I have another question... Say if you major in ChemE, are you only restricted to Chemical engineering jobs for co-op? Like could you do co-op as an electrical engineer assistant even if your major is chemical?

Thanks for the replies!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@StellaSparx wrote
Hi everyone,

I have another question... Say if you major in ChemE, are you only restricted to Chemical engineering jobs for co-op? Like could you do co-op as an electrical engineer assistant even if your major is chemical?

Thanks for the replies!

There are no restrictions on what coop jobs one can apply for. For example I'm currently in Math/Business but all my interviews have been for CS/Programming jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kylepohl kylepohl

@immaculatedx wrote

@StellaSparx wrote
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies!

There are no restrictions on what coop jobs one can apply for. For example I'm currently in Math/Business but all my interviews have been for CS/Programming jobs.

That's not true for Engineering. For your first co-op, you must take a position that is Engineering related, then for your second term onward, you require positions that are related to your specific program.

The only people who don't get jobs for their first term are the ones who do/are the following:

-They don't get their resume critiqued
-They aren't flexible about relocating
-They don't try hard (need high academics, extracurriculars or (preferably) a blend of the two for the best jobs)

Costs will be lower than living in residence. I spend about 4k every term for living expenses and food, sometimes as high as 5k. Not too bad, really. Get a good co-op job and you can make that back threefold.

For locating, many companies will help you out, usually suggesting the places the previous co-op students lived. If the place is sufficiently far/isolated enough, they may even provide housing!

Finding the jobs for co-op is easy, the school handles that. The hard part is competing with hundreds of other students with similar skill sets to get jobs. Get your resume critiqued, don't pass up jobs outside of your hometown and try your best. You'll get a job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kylepohl wrote

That's not true for Engineering. For your first co-op, you must take a position that is Engineering related, then for your second term onward, you require positions that are related to your specific program.

The only people who don't get jobs for their first term are the ones who do/are the following:

-They don't get their resume critiqued
-They aren't flexible about relocating
-They don't try hard (need high academics, extracurriculars or (preferably) a blend of the two for the best jobs)

Costs will be lower than living in residence. I spend about 4k every term for living expenses and food, sometimes as high as 5k. Not too bad, really. Get a good co-op job and you can make that back threefold.

For locating, many companies will help you out, usually suggesting the places the previous co-op students lived. If the place is sufficiently far/isolated enough, they may even provide housing!

Finding the jobs for co-op is easy, the school handles that. The hard part is competing with hundreds of other students with similar skill sets to get jobs. Get your resume critiqued, don't pass up jobs outside of your hometown and try your best. You'll get a job.

Thanks for this, but I'm kinda bummed that Waterloo already gave out 40% of their offers already. I got the email today that the other 60% of the offers won't be till mid-May :( I'm so scared I won't even get an offer at all! Hopefully Mac will give me one though. Hopefully...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CeeVeeCee CeeVeeCee

@StellaSparx wrote

Thanks for this, but I'm kinda bummed that Waterloo already gave out 40% of their offers already. I got the email today that the other 60% of the offers won't be till mid-May :( I'm so scared I won't even get an offer at all! Hopefully Mac will give me one though. Hopefully...

I got the email too but last year people got accepted aroung march break, and again in mid April so they might give out some more offers then. Don't give up hope and just chill! It'll come and it'll be all the greater since you've waited so long :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CeeVeeCee wrote

I got the email too but last year people got accepted aroung march break, and again in mid April so they might give out some more offers then. Don't give up hope and just chill! It'll come and it'll be all the greater since you've waited so long :cheers:

Thank you for the encouragement, I appreciate it! :cyclops: Got accepted to Mac today for eng, I'm excited!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CeeVeeCee CeeVeeCee

@StellaSparx wrote

@CeeVeeCee wrote

Thank you for the encouragement, I appreciate it! :cyclops: Got accepted to Mac today for eng, I'm excited!

You're welcome! I was worried too but someone cheered me up so i figured i would spred the love <3

Congrats on getting accepted to Mac! 8D
Was this helpful? Yes 0