yconic - Waterloo Engineering Coop
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Engineering Coop

A photo of KidA KidA
I had some questions regarding the coop program at Eaterloo (Mechanical Engineering):

1. Is it hard to find a job placement? What are the chances of landing a job?
2. If you do not find a job, are you sitting home or still have classes at school?
3. Mechanical Engineering is stream 4 or 8, will I find out before I request a full or half term of residence. Because I don't want to find out I'm stream 4 while I have a full term of residence left.

If I have anymore questions I'll be sure to add them. Anyone who can help me out, please do and thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of plato plato
Depends on your skillz.

2. If you do not find a job, are you sitting home or still have classes at school?
You have to find a job, you're only allowed to miss one of the six job terms.

3. Mechanical Engineering is stream 4 or 8, will I find out before I request a full or half term of residence. Because I don't want to find out I'm stream 4 while I have a full term of residence left.
In first year residence, you can only signup for two terms. If you're 8 stream, you do them back to back. If you're 4 stream, your 1A term is on residence, your first work term is your responsibility, and your 1B term is on residence.

Hope this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mechboyy mechboyy

@plato wrote
Depends on your skillz.

In first year residence, you can only signup for two terms. If you're 8 stream, you do them back to back. If you're 4 stream, your 1A term is on residence, your first work term is your responsibility, and your 1B term is on residence.

Hope this helps.

Wrong. You can go 1 out of the 6 terms unemployed, you actually only need 5/6 co-op credits to graduate. I'm in the mechanical program right now and I've found a coop position which I am grateful for. I actually dont have any supernatural engineering skills but the key to a good placement is your resume and the layout of your resume. This may seem odd, but Jobmine is a PAIN and formatting issues can go hella wrong lol (you can not upload a word document, have to save it as HTML.. some people even code their resumes using HTML). Besides, if you dont find a job, you can keep looking because you have until the end of first month in the co-op term to find a job. Most people end up finding a job anyway. The first term might not be all that and flashy but it'll open doors for the upcoming terms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
^ Plato did say "You're only allowed to miss one of those six job terms".

Anyways, I have a question. Do employers value any kind of job experience, or does it only help if the experience is relevant?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KidA KidA

@plato wrote
Depends on your skillz.

Hope this helps.

I'm still confused about how 4 stream works and how it affects living on residence / school work. Also, if you're only allowed to miss one of the six job terms, what if you simply do not get hired by anyone and it's out of your power. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@KidA wrote

@plato wrote
Depends on your skillz.

Hope this helps.

I'm still confused about how 4 stream works and how it affects living on residence / school work. Also, if you're only allowed to miss one of the six job terms, what if you simply do not get hired by anyone and it's out of your power. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

4 stream basically means you go to school September-December, then you work January-April, and you go back to school (and res) for May-August, repeat for 5 years. You end off in your 5th year with 2 consecutive study terms though, whereas the 8 stream people end off just alternating like normal.
Also, that's the point, the idea is that you can only miss/skip one, regardless of why you missed/skipped the term. Unless it was something serious I'd assume they'd kick you out or something, or force you to delay your graduation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@ninetyfour wrote
Do employers value any kind of job experience, or does it only help if the experience is relevant?

Any work experience is valuable. In fact, work experience and the soft skills you pickup, can be more valuable than hard skills without "people skills". Volunteer works looks good too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0