yconic - Waterloo Engineering "Deny"
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Engineering "Deny"

A photo of loyolalax9 loyolalax9
Who has been rejected from a Waterloo engineering program and if so list your average. There are people with 90's who have been rejected and people with low 80's who have been accepted.. which is deffinitely not right .. My average was an 88% and I was rejected to mechanical engineering co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
46 replies

A photo of lolcostco lolcostco
82% rejected from ECE.

would they have automatically considered us for those low 80 avg eng programs? like management?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
Rejected with no alternative offers, nano-tech. My marks are below and I had a good AIF
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lolcostco wrote
82% rejected from ECE.

would they have automatically considered us for those low 80 avg eng programs? like management?

I think you had to include that on your AIF where it asked you to choose alternative programs. It said something like if you weren't admitted into your first choice then they would consider you for one of the alternate programs that you chose
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BillieJackson BillieJackson
80% average and rejected from Environmental Engineering. Anyone get into that program?

You might be thinking this guy is nuts because he has a 80% average and he wants to come to waterloo for engineering. Well in my AIF, I listed about 25 activities and 20 achievements. I played on 7/8 school teams this year and I also play rep hockey out of school. I also volunteer at 2 places every weekend and have a part-time job. (used to have 2 part-time jobs at once until I quit one of them). I am also a member of the school committee, environmental club, and link crew and Oh and yes, I only get about 4 hours of sleep a night on average if you were wondering.

F*CK YOU WATERLOO
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yatesb Yatesb

@BillieJackson wrote
80% average and rejected from Environmental Engineering. Anyone get into that program?

You might be thinking this guy is nuts because he has a 80% average and he wants to come to waterloo for engineering. Well in my AIF, I listed about 25 activities and 20 achievements. I played on 7/8 school teams this year and I also play rep hockey out of school. I also volunteer at 2 places every weekend and have a part-time job. (used to have 2 part-time jobs at once until I quit one of them). I am also a member of the school committee, environmental club, and link crew and Oh and yes, I only get about 4 hours of sleep a night on average if you were wondering.

F*CK YOU WATERLOO

Where do you go to high school? My school has a "link crew" and I thought it was original.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BillieJackson wrote

F*CK YOU WATERLOO

Wow that's pretty impressive. The only EC's that I really had was playing hockey and lacrosse since grade 9-12 and writing all of the Waterloo Math competitions. Waterloo's unpredictable, I honestly don't know how they choose their students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BillieJackson BillieJackson

@Yatesb wrote

@BillieJackson wrote

F*CK YOU WATERLOO

Where do you go to high school? My school has a "link crew" and I thought it was original.

I go to Notre Dame in Ontario.
Link Crew is quite popular in many Ontario schools. Also in American high schools!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_Crew
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Theresa96 Theresa96
I'm 85.3% average. I also get rejected for general math.
I don't know how Waterloo make their decision. Today I call the office, they told me I have very high chance can get in. However tonight, they rejected me!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Limpex Limpex
Got rejected today too for Civil Eng. with 89.7% avg, no alternative offers.. I have no idea what they have done for admissions this year. Some people who are way above the requirements rejected while some people lowerthan others and require avg accepted :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
I'm actually glad Waterloo is doing their admissions this way. In my opinion, they should have students who are well rounded and can actually get along with other people in a work place. If you hire/admit nerds who study 24/7 and have no enjoyment, your workplace/university will be dead...

Also, people with < 80 in English should not even be admitted (Again this is my Opinion), because communication is key, especially in engineering. So if you hire someone who has English as their second language and can't speak it properly/write properly, your gunna end up with problems.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Limpex Limpex

@iRamie wrote
I'm actually glad Waterloo is doing their admissions this way. In my opinion, they should have students who are well rounded and can actually get along with other people in a work place. If you hire/admit nerds who study 24/7 and have no enjoyment, your workplace/university will be dead...

Also, people with < 80 in English should not even be admitted (Again this is my Opinion), because communication is key, especially in engineering. So if you hire someone who has English as their second language and can't speak it properly/write properly, your gunna end up with problems.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im sick and tired of these kids who get 99% average by reading off a textbook and ending up going to a good university and contributing NONE of their knowledge. They then get a good job and go back to china/wherever the F**k they came from -_-

If that's the case then they should atleast be specific on thier admission requirements..my marks ranged around low 90s o high 80s with 87 in english. That should be good enough for being an engineer as you are saying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Daniyal123 Daniyal123

@Limpex wrote
Got rejected today too for Civil Eng. with 89.7% avg, no alternative offers.. I have no idea what they have done for admissions this year. Some people who are way above the requirements rejected while some people lowerthan others and require avg accepted :S

do you by any chance go to stephen lewis secondary school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Limpex Limpex

@Daniyal123 wrote

@Limpex wrote

do you by any chance go to stephen lewis secondary school?

Yess Daniyal! I know you :p but I'm confused if your K. Or A. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
I got early acceptance in mech at UW with a low 80. All about the AIF haha.

OP, dw. Waterloo eng isn't the end all eng school. I'm turning it down for Mac, pick a school you have a vibe for :)

edit: And small world, i used to live near Notre Dame. I go to Mississauga Secondary now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Limpex Limpex
whatever guys.. they have made the decision and calling them is not going to change the decision.. Just think of considering other unis now
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Daniyal123 Daniyal123

@Limpex wrote
whatever guys.. they have made the decision and calling them is not going to change the decision.. Just think of considering other unis now

yeah you got u of t no worries
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iRamie wrote

@Limpex wrote

Im gunna work my @$$ off next year. Im scared now
F*ck so much competitionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Are you in Grade 11?? If you are, then I guess the only lesson learned here is that the AIF actually does matter a lot :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh well, now that the waiting has finally stopped, what universities is everyone going to? I'm stuck between Mac and Western, and I am very interested in both of the engineering management programs offered at the two schools where it's an accelerated MBA. Any advice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of merm123 merm123

@iRamie wrote

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im sick and tired of these kids who get 99% average by reading off a textbook and ending up going to a good university and contributing NONE of their knowledge. They then get a good job and go back to china/wherever the F**k they came from -_-

Okay, first off I completely disagree with you about the English thing. Just because someone gets less than an 80 in English does not mean they can't communicate or write properly. A grade on a piece of paper has no reflection on what you're capable of.

Second, that last thing you mentioned was completely uncalled for..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SomeDude SomeDude
I didn't get into Software Engineering. Although I did get an alternate offer to computer science co-op.

On another note, I agree with merm123.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@merm123 wrote

@iRamie wrote

Okay, first off I completely disagree with you about the English thing. Just because someone gets less than an 80 in English does not mean they can't communicate or write properly. A grade on a piece of paper has no reflection on what you're capable of.

Second, that last thing you mentioned was completely uncalled for..

Honestly that whole entire was uncalled for. Ignorance at it's finest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sky7ar Sky7ar

@iRamie wrote

one chinese here regretting responding to ur PM
me as an living example has English < 80 accepted to UW while being able to well, at least u get what i mean right..
before u get a great grade or get into university, i suggest u learn to respect other ppl.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jackcnd jackcnd

@iRamie wrote

i hope u get rejected by every program that you apply to:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@iRamie wrote

First point about getting rounded people and people that aren't socially incapable, I agree... though only to a certain extent...

Secondly, so what if someone decides to study 24/7? its their own prerogative... they can do whatever they want. If they want to study 24/7 to get a mark that would make their applicant attractive... why not... you shouldn't complain when you don;t have the dedication to study 24/7 (I assume... apologize if wrong... though if I'm wrong, you are being hypocritical)

Third, why not? English at grade 12 level hardly help determine one's true communication and writing skills. Its more analytical and I do not think Shakespeare and reading fiction help improve professional communication skills (writing skills maybe)... This is the reason why I support written entrance exams and interviews like what they do for Waterloo AFM and Waterloo Architecture

Lastly, this paragraph is just... uncalled for... you're sick of kids getting 99% average by reading off of a textbook... you ahve the same textbook, you have the same teacher, you have the internet as a resource... why are you not getting 99%? Oh and, who told you people go back to their home countries. And who do you think you are saying "china or wherever the f**k they came from"? Typical ethnocentric bastard who care less about other races other than their own. Do you have a problem with foreign people? If so, going back to your point of communication... if you're so good at communication why do you have a problem with working with foreign people...
Was this helpful? Yes 0