yconic - Waterloo entrance scholarships?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo entrance scholarships?

A photo of artyboy artyboy
I should have a 90 average on mid-terms, which my school releases like April 7. The entrance scholarship is based on May 30 average. Does that mean they will receive your average as of may 30 or will they just use mid-term average as it takes awhile for them to receive the marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of tuzzer tuzzer

@artyboy wrote
I should have a 90 average on mid-terms, which my school releases like April 7. The entrance scholarship is based on May 30 average. Does that mean they will receive your average as of may 30 or will they just use mid-term average as it takes awhile for them to receive the marks?

The school scholarship is based on your final grade. They will tell you what you are about to get. But if your average changes, your scholarship will be adjusted accordingly
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
I'm wondering about that too...it actually does say "May Admission Average". Is it the midterm mark or another mark sent late may or is late may just when those midterm marks are received an used to calculate top 6. SOmeone please answer!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of callie2039 callie2039
i think it would be for the final grade. including courses not in your top six.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Haru Haru
k guys. just received an email back from them.
Your entrance scholarsihp is based on early MAY admissions. That is the scholarship you get unless you go up. For ex. if you have 90 early may but go up to a 95 for finals you go to the next scholarship. However, you do not lose that 95 scholarship if you drop by finals. Just clarifying that!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Haru wrote
Your entrance scholarsihp is based on early MAY admissions. That is the scholarship you get unless you go up. For ex. if you have 90 early may but go up to a 95 for finals you go to the next scholarship. However, you do not lose that 95 scholarship if you drop by finals. Just clarifying that!

Really? So your scholarship can go up, but not down? That's awesome if it's true! :D

But 95%+ and 90%+ scholarships are basically the same. The $1,500 International Experience Award and $1,500 Research Award are conditional and cannot be claimed first year(80%+ in upper years).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@Impasse wrote

@Haru wrote

Really? So your scholarship can go up, but not down? That's awesome if it's true! :D

But 95%+ and 90%+ scholarships are basically the same. The $1,500 International Experience Award and $1,500 Research Award are conditional and cannot be claimed first year(80%+ in upper years).

Yup. YOu can go up but not down. The 95+ and 90+ are pretty much the same, but it's good if u do exchange/research in upper years. At that time, that money will probably be more useful than say 1st yr. Better than nothing! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@Haru wrote

@Impasse wrote

@Haru wrote

Yup. YOu can go up but not down. The 95+ and 90+ are pretty much the same, but it's good if u do exchange/research in upper years. At that time, that money will probably be more useful than say 1st yr. Better than nothing! :)

is it true that sometimes when your mark is like 94.8 they bump you up to the 95 bracket for scholarships?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@jzliu wrote

is it true that sometimes when your mark is like 94.8 they bump you up to the 95 bracket for scholarships?

No. they don't do that. I know it sucks 94.9 and 95 get diff scholarships :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23
What if I have a 89.5% average in June, and in Summer School I take Data to replace my Calculus mark and my average becomes 90.0%. Do I get the 90% scholarship?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@brady23 wrote
What if I have a 89.5% average in June, and in Summer School I take Data to replace my Calculus mark and my average becomes 90.0%. Do I get the 90% scholarship?

i'm not sure about summer school marks. you probably will though. just email/call them to double check.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joe1 Joe1

@Haru wrote

@jzliu wrote

No. they don't do that. I know it sucks 94.9 and 95 get diff scholarships :(

If its top 6 grade 12 marks... isnt it IMPOSSIBLE to get 94.9?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@Joe1 wrote

If its top 6 grade 12 marks... isnt it IMPOSSIBLE to get 94.9?

heh i guess so. i guess uw is just giving you a range. 90-94.9 and 95.0+ . just so you know that they don't round up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@brady23 wrote

I would assume that they would update your scholarship but keep in mind that they still count all pre-requisite courses for the program into your scholarship average.

So if you apply to any program that requires Calculus you couldn't take Data Man. to replace your calc mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

I would assume that they would update your scholarship but keep in mind that they still count all pre-requisite courses for the program into your scholarship average.

So if you apply to any program that requires Calculus you couldn't take Data Man. to replace your calc mark.

Yeah, it says one of MDM4U, MCV4U, SBI4U, or SES4U.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@brady23 wrote

@North wrote

@brady23 wrote

Yeah, it says one of MDM4U, MCV4U, SBI4U, or SES4U.

Fiar enough. I just wasn't sure which program - especially since this is in the math/engineering/cs section of the forum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well I won't use Data to replace my Calculus mark, can I use it to replace my 6th course instead?
It's French with an 82...if i take data in summer school and get a 88, my average will be a 90. Will waterloo allow it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@brady23 wrote
Well I won't use Data to replace my Calculus mark, can I use it to replace my 6th course instead?
It's French with an 82...if i take data in summer school and get a 88, my average will be a 90. Will waterloo allow it?

Probably - but you should check with UW themselves. Especially if you're applying to the Math faculty because they don't like non-day school courses
Was this helpful? Yes 0