yconic - Waterloo Fellowship AFM
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Fellowship AFM

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
Hey SA, 2 questions;

1. Do fellowship offers come out a few days before normal offers? (I've heard this bounced around)

2. Does waterloo look at their ranking in OUAC for acceptances (and especially for fellowships)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of SkylarNoeL SkylarNoeL
1) It's probably rolling since they make individual phone calls to inform each candidate that they're eligible. They give out something like 250 interviews so the time interval between the first and last contacted is probably a few days.

2) Offers, no. Fellowships, it seems conceivable. Usually OUAC rankings are used by universities purely to determine how many offers to send out in total, not which individual applicants to accept. OUAC rankings would only indirect impact your chances of getting an offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@Windsongs4 wrote
Hey SA, 2 questions;

1. Do fellowship offers come out a few days before normal offers? (I've heard this bounced around)

2. Does waterloo look at their ranking in OUAC for acceptances (and especially for fellowships)?

1. No. They call for Fellowship offers (which are just invites to the interviews) once acceptances come around. So the first day you'll see everyone saying "accepted!" then a few people will say they got a Fellowship call. They're a rolling basis for the next week pretty much, and they give a date that's like two weeks away but I think everyone got theirs within a week. They want to talk to you in person so I think they say they will call back, which does delay some calls.

2. No.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SkylarNoeL SkylarNoeL
Yeah listen to Caveman he's actually in AFM :albino:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ohhh kk thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of carrotsoup carrotsoup
What is the admission average of a person who usually gets fellowship?/ What kind of ECs are they looking for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hahaha hahaha
im pretty sure ur 94 is more than enough..its just up to ur EC's now :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hahaha hahaha
im pretty sure ur 94 is more than enough..its just up to ur EC's now :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@carrotsoup wrote
What is the admission average of a person who usually gets fellowship?/ What kind of ECs are they looking for?

"The following describes the Fellowship selection process for incoming students, entering in Fall 2012.

Recipients are selected from the incoming class based on:

academic performance,
demonstrated leadership qualities
involvement in extracurricular or volunteer activities, and
enthusiasm for the opportunities that the Fellowship Program has to offer and commitment to participating in those opportunities.

To assess these attributes, the SAF takes into consideration:

the student’s academic average,
performance on the Accounting and Financial Management Admissions Assignment (AFMAA),
the Admissions Information Form (AIF), and
an interview." -- http://www.afm.uwaterloo.ca/Fellowship%20Program.html

There's the official wording.

Usually students have high marks and are very involved in ECs. The lowest average of someone in Fellowship that I know of was 92 or 93 I believe and most are mid-90s or higher. Theoretically anyone qualifies, but to be the top 10% of the incoming class marks are definitely going to be a big part of that.

There's really not one thing you can nail down as an EC they're looking for, except that they should show some leadership qualities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Soccerboy Soccerboy

@SkylarNoeL wrote
1) It's probably rolling since they make individual phone calls to inform each candidate that they're eligible. They give out something like 250 interviews so the time interval between the first and last contacted is probably a few days.

2) Offers, no. Fellowships, it seems conceivable. Usually OUAC rankings are used by universities purely to determine how many offers to send out in total, not which individual applicants to accept. OUAC rankings would only indirect impact your chances of getting an offer.

They are going to give out 250 interviews when only 300 get accepted(80 of them being PA)? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Soccerboy wrote

@SkylarNoeL wrote

They are going to give out 250 interviews when only 300 get accepted(80 of them being PA)? lol

First of all, all universities send out more acceptances than they have spots. Some students will reject for other schools or maybe will fail to maintain the conditions of the offer.

To simplify, we'll say that Waterloo sends out twice as many offers as they want in the program (after years of data they should have a pretty good idea what percentage will accept). So that's 2 x 300 (85 -> CA, 215 -> B&F) = 600 offers.

Waterloo ideally wants roughly 10% of the incoming AFM class to be in the Fellowship, and roughly (maybe exactly) 20% of people offered will receive an interview (some will not attend as they know they will be rejecting- although I'd advise you attend anyways if possible). So that's 0.2 x 600 = 120 people invited to be interviewed, with maybe 100 showing up (some are too far away, others don't want to).

Using the simplifying assumption, roughly 100 people will be interviewing and roughly 60 will be accepted, with the aim to have 30 of them accept their AFM offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

wow -good to know; good to know :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

fyi to everyone; for academic performance, the fellowship looks at all your marks, not just top 6. :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KGulati23 KGulati23

@Windsongs4 wrote
fyi to everyone; for academic performance, the fellowship looks at all your marks, not just top 6. :S

Oh wow, i did not know that. Does that include grade 11 marks as well? And if i may ask how did you find out about this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KGulati23 wrote

@Windsongs4 wrote

Oh wow, i did not know that. Does that include grade 11 marks as well? And if i may ask how did you find out about this?

I think it's all grade 12 marks (so that ppl don't slack off second semester); but then again there are grade 11 marks on ouac as well, so I'm not sure. As to how I know, I emailed the afm fellowship coordinator and asked whether just top 6 or all grade 12 courses are used. she said all of them are.
Was this helpful? Yes 0