yconic - Waterloo Honors Sci, Life Sci - Biology, or Life Sci - Biomedical Science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Honors Sci, Life Sci - Biology, or Life Sci - Biomedical Science?

A photo of paramecium paramecium
Which is the best choice for Pharmacy school at either UW or UT?

Anyone know how long your degree is extended to if you take co-op as a part of a Life Sci degree at Waterloo?

What are the pros and cons of each besides Life Sci - Biology being the only one that offers co-op?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of paramecium paramecium
bump?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reality Reality

@paramecium wrote
Which is the best choice for Pharmacy school at either UW or UT?

Anyone know how long your degree is extended to if you take co-op as a part of a Life Sci degree at Waterloo?

What are the pros and cons of each besides Life Sci - Biology being the only one that offers co-op?

First things first. Both of these programs (and all of the various 'Life Sciences' variants offered at other universities) are more or less the same. Biomedical Sciences is probably more general, and thus, allows for more electives, while Biology is more focused.

If you wanna compare the two programs, I would suggest you to get friendly with the school's undergrad calendar, which offers a plethora of information, such as the courses offered, and what you have to take in each year.

Biomedical Science: http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/SCI-Honours-Biomedical-Sciences
Biology: http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/page/SCI-Honours-Biology-No--Specialization
(specializations do exist for Biology)

I would definitely choose Biomed to load up on the bird courses, but Biology is fine, as you will need to complete a crapload of BIOL courses for Waterloo Pharm.

I believe co-op extends the duration of your degree to 5 years, as you have to do 3-4 work terms. But don't quote me on that. Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0