yconic - waterloo, how do you apply if you wish to do double degree in math and science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

waterloo, how do you apply if you wish to do double degree in math and science?

A photo of hamsterpower7 hamsterpower7
Yes you can change your major.

To do a double major, just take the required courses for both degrees. You may end up taking something like 7 courses a semester, though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Yes you can change your major.

To do a double major, just take the required courses for both degrees. You may end up taking something like 7 courses a semester, though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
The vast majority of people I know that have chosen a math/phys major apply to honours math because then you only are required to do the math courses in your first year, whereas the science degree is less flexible and has a bunch of lab requirements. You don't declare anything until at minimum your second year, so you have plenty of time to take math/science courses and decide. Especially if you're interested in pure math, you're going to need at minimum the honours math courses, and preferably the advanced math courses, rather than the more applied science math courses.

I would email one of the academic advisors, too, but definitely I'd say apply for Honours Math and decide later.
Was this helpful? Yes 0