yconic - Waterloo Life Sci vs McMaster Life Sci
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Life Sci vs McMaster Life Sci

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys,

I would like to specialize in Life Science for McMaster, and Biomedical Science for Waterloo, but both do not offer coop.

On the other hand, McMaster and Waterloo offers coop for biochemistry, biology, etc. But a biochemistry or biology degree doesn't seem to be more useful than a Life Science degree even without coop. I'm not interested in research careers for science, I want to work in a health-care setting.

Is coop worth it for specializations like biochemistry and biology, or am I better off doing a regular life science degree at Waterloo or McMaster without coop if I want to work in a health care setting and not do research.

Can you give me an example of a major/specialization at McMaster or Waterloo that would offer a non-research position for coop?

If there all research-based, I think I am better off not taking coop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys,

I would like to specialize in Life Science for McMaster, and Biomedical Science for Waterloo, but both do not offer coop.

On the other hand, McMaster and Waterloo offers coop for biochemistry, biology, etc. But a biochemistry or biology degree doesn't seem to be more useful than a Life Science degree even without coop. I'm not interested in research careers for science, I want to work in a health-care setting.

Is coop worth it for specializations like biochemistry and biology, or am I better off doing a regular life science degree at Waterloo or McMaster without coop if I want to work in a health care setting and not do research.

Can you give me an example of a major/specialization at McMaster or Waterloo that would offer a non-research position for coop?

If there all research-based, I think I am better off not taking coop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
There are definitely non-research co-op positions at both schools. Some positions are open to students from multiple/all faculties and anyone can apply. One of my classmates in vet school right now graduated from Mac biochem co-op and she did several of her co-op placements at a beef farm (which is totally unrelated to biochem). My friend in Waterloo chem eng did one co-op placement in a molecular bio lab (again, totally unrelated to the degree). So just because you're in a certain program doesn't meant your co-op positions will be limited to just that field.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheUWStudent TheUWStudent
I can only reply on behalf of UW.
From what I'm reading (your interest), Waterloo Health-Sci with Co-op seems more relevant to your interest... Honestly, I have a couple friends in Biochem/bio co-op and they have difficulty finding co-op positions or co-op positions related to their field.

On the other hand, what you learn as a health-sci student is so much more interesting and they have much more co-op positions geared toward the health-care setting whereas biochem/bio offers more research-based co-op positions.

Was this helpful? Yes 0