yconic - Waterloo Math Faculty Coop sequence
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Math Faculty Coop sequence

A photo of rawr939 rawr939
Hey everyone, i was wondering which coop sequences u guys will be choosing? Incase you don't know what im talking about: http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/current-undergrads/new-students/coop/sequence_charts.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of chris24 chris24
I'm trying to decide between streams A and B. Stream C seems pointless because the summer off would probably be spent working anyway. I think I'd get a bit annoyed with three study terms in a row, so Stream D is out.

Stream A looks good because the second-year work term is in the winter (which has less competition for co-op jobs, apparently), but Stream B is good because it has the double work term near the end. Tough call!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm not even at Waterloo but looking at those here is my advice:

Co-op terms in the fall and winter will probably be better, as you won't be competing against all the people looking for summer jobs
You want more work terms later in your degree because you'll have more experience
I think Stream C and D are awesome, because you get an 8 month work term RIGHT before you graduate. Could get you a full time job....but you are pushing your finish time into the summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@ktel wrote
I'm not even at Waterloo but looking at those here is my advice:

Co-op terms in the fall and winter will probably be better, as you won't be competing against all the people looking for summer jobs

On the flipside, there are a lot more jobs available for the summer term. Over 80% of first years are employed for their first work term, even when they've only had 8 months of school.

@ktel wrote

You want more work terms later in your degree because you'll have more experience

Yes yes! Most certainly. Higher pay and better positions.

@ktel wrote

I think Stream C and D are awesome, because you get an 8 month work term RIGHT before you graduate. Could get you a full time job....but you are pushing your finish time into the summer.

Stream B also has this. In fact, stream B and D go on-stream with each other come 2B.

If you're good, lots of companies will actually remember you for a full-time offer as early as your third work term. Depends on how talented you are and how well you fit in at the company.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Ah yes. I didn't notice the 8 month term in stream B. This would make it the clear front runner in my mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0