yconic - Waterloo mathbus programs
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo mathbus programs

A photo of Haru Haru
Anyone know when waterloo's sending out offers for mathbus programs like CA, FARM, DD etc.?

//discuss
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
apparently around march break or after. They need to get the teachers to fill out the recommendation forms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
riiiiiiight. i completely forgot about that. damn.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
i dont mean to threadjack, but does anyone know what type of comp sci courses we have to take for the math part?
is it INTRO to comp sci? or is it legit comp sci?
and is it hard? i might wanna study some programming during the summer
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@apark17 wrote
i dont mean to threadjack, but does anyone know what type of comp sci courses we have to take for the math part?
is it INTRO to comp sci? or is it legit comp sci?
and is it hard? i might wanna study some programming during the summer

For math you can take:
CS 115/116 (non-CS majors aka really intro)
CS 135/136 (CS majors, intro)
CS 145/246 (advanced level)

Sample Assignments/Information
CS 115 http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~cs115/assignments
CS 135 http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~cs135/assign_info
CS 145 http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~cs145/prospective.shtml
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
What programming language do we learn in first yr cs? or is it a whole bunch?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@Haru wrote

It depends on which set of courses you take.
You need to take 2 courses. The possible combinations are:
115 & 116, 135 & 116, 135 & 136, 145 & 2nd year CS course (e.g. 246)
Edit: Just read that for 2011 they are changing the course combination for the advanced CS stream (ie CS 145)

Programming Languages:

115 - Scheme
116 - Python

135 - Scheme
136 - Scheme + C

145 - Scheme + C

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17

@North wrote

@Haru wrote

Edit: Just read that for 2011 they are changing the course combination for the advanced CS stream (ie CS 145)

Programming Languages:

115 - Scheme
116 - Python

135 - Scheme
136 - Scheme + C

145 - Scheme + C

thank you very much!
another question.. i honestly know the BASICS of programming, took it in gr 10/11 engineering and only know the foundation of how to program. Loops, for counts, elsif,etc do you guys think i should take a course or starting learn some programming over the summer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@apark17 wrote

@North wrote

@Haru wrote

Programming Languages:

115 - Scheme
116 - Python

135 - Scheme
136 - Scheme + C

145 - Scheme + C

thank you very much!
another question.. i honestly know the BASICS of programming, took it in gr 10/11 engineering and only know the foundation of how to program. Loops, for counts, elsif,etc do you guys think i should take a course or starting learn some programming over the summer?

You don't need to take anything. UW has to teach their courses as if you ahve enver written a line of code in your life because not every school/student has the opportunity to learn CS before university.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to know a little. I would say if you have the time take it just for practice, but don't get too locked into one language etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Even if you've been exposed to programming for 3 yrs, would it be a disadvantage to take the easier 2 programming courses as opposed to the other ones? would they know/care? I mean obviously if you take the easier ones, you'll get a higher mark..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@Haru wrote
Even if you've been exposed to programming for 3 yrs, would it be a disadvantage to take the easier 2 programming courses as opposed to the other ones? would they know/care? I mean obviously if you take the easier ones, you'll get a higher mark..

The only thing is that you can't take a CS major from those courses alone. But I think for most of us that isn't that big of an issue.

If you aren't planning on a CS major then UW doesn't really care what courses you take. They may know just based on your AIF/Courses but they really don't care.

I'm planning on taking CS115/116 and I've done 3 summers of programming camps and took the gr. 11 CS course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@North wrote

@Haru wrote

The only thing is that you can't take a CS major from those courses alone. But I think for most of us that isn't that big of an issue.

If you aren't planning on a CS major then UW doesn't really care what courses you take. They may know just based on your AIF/Courses but they really don't care.

I'm planning on taking CS115/116 and I've done 3 summers of programming camps and took the gr. 11 CS course.

Great. I'm not going for a CS major. Taken Gr. 11/12 CS already, I think i'm planning to go for 115/116 as well. Easy way out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0