yconic - Waterloo Math/CA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Math/CA

A photo of SDHN SDHN
Is the Math/CA program at waterloo really useful for people wanting to become a CA? What are the program costs? Is the program hard?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of g93 g93
The Math/CA program is essentially identical to AFM but you take math courses.

Being in Math/CA does not mean you will get jobs more easily than someone in AFM.

The argument for Math/CA is that it develops higher learning and critical thinking, etc. which can help you. The argument against it is that the math courses require a lot of work and leave less time to study/do ECs and the math courses don't really benefit you in a tangible way.

Waterloo AFM and Math/CA are both excellent programs and are very reputable, with a great co-op program.

Tuition: http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infofin/students/UG%20Schedule%20of%20Fees%20Current.pdf (if it's about the same as AFM, watch the massive rise after 1st year)

If you have any questions about Waterloo Math/CA or AFM, feel free to PM me or you could PM immaculatedx (he's going into Math/CA and I'm sure wouldn't mind, he will likely post in this thread sooner or later)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Hi SDHN,

Math/CA as the name suggests, is a very strong program to pursue your CA. As g93 noted, it's pretty much the same program as AFM-PA (Accounting and Financial Management - Public Accounting) except with math courses instead of electives.

You have no real advantage over other AFM-PAs (Or Biotech/CAs) for pursuing your designation or pursuing coops. g93 is pretty spot-on for the advantages of MathCA and the higher learning/critical thinking portion but I'd argue there is a "tangible" benefit if you will. I know of some Math/CAers who went on to graduate school for mathematical/finance subjects that they wouldn't have had opportunities to attend had they gone to AFM. Most Math/CAers will definitely follow the traditional CA career path and the Math will be of little use to them "tangibly" but there are many Math/CAs who don't follow the traditional CA path or diverge from it later; I know of Math/CAers who've worked in Equity Research, Sales and Trading, etc. etc.

In terms of admissions, if you're coming from a normal public high school you'll probably need at least a 95 to get in. If you are in a school with AP/IB you may have a better chance with lower marks. The way it works is that they take your mark (out of 100) and add on their own admission score from your supplementary form, the AIF (out of 13) and use that combined score as your total average. The cutoff this year was 103 I believe. It is one of Waterloo's most competitive programs admission average wise. For AFM, you won't need marks as high, but there will be more focus on your communication/leadership/whatever abilities with the AFMAAs (You go to Waterloo to write a few essays).

The program is pretty expensive. It's the same costs pretty much as AFM. Cheap in the first year around 5-6K and then like 16-17K a year for years 2 and beyond.

Hope that helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@immaculatedx wrote
You have no real advantage over other AFM-PAs (Or Biotech/CAs) for pursuing your designation or pursuing coops. g93 is pretty spot-on for the advantages of MathCA and the higher learning/critical thinking portion but I'd argue there is a "tangible" benefit if you will. I know of some Math/CAers who went on to graduate school for mathematical/finance subjects that they wouldn't have had opportunities to attend had they gone to AFM. Most Math/CAers will definitely follow the traditional CA career path and the Math will be of little use to them "tangibly" but there are many Math/CAs who don't follow the traditional CA path or diverge from it later; I know of Math/CAers who've worked in Equity Research, Sales and Trading, etc. etc.

I suppose that is true, I did not really think of that when I posted. I too have heard similar things from Math/CA students.

I will change it to "no tangible benefits while applying for co-op positions and such" - as in a Math/CA student doesn't have a better chance than an AFMer for applying to KPMG during co-op just because the program is more competitive admissions-wise.

One thing I will add (and this goes for anyone): don't apply to the program just because of its reputation as a strong program and it being one of the most difficult programs to get into. If you don't want to do accounting, this program is not for you at all, nor is AFM. If you don't want to do university-level math (and at the same time you are doing accounting and finance) don't apply to this program. If you have legitimate reasons why you think this program is ideal for you, and not just that it is really hard to get into and therefore must be as good as Wharton for your undergrad, then by all means apply. I don't need to tell anyone it is a great program, but it definitely isn't right for everyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@g93 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

I suppose that is true, I did not really think of that when I posted. I too have heard similar things from Math/CA students.

I will change it to "no tangible benefits while applying for co-op positions and such" - as in a Math/CA student doesn't have a better chance than an AFMer for applying to KPMG during co-op just because the program is more competitive admissions-wise.

One thing I will add (and this goes for anyone): don't apply to the program just because of its reputation as a strong program and it being one of the most difficult programs to get into. If you don't want to do accounting, this program is not for you at all, nor is AFM. If you don't want to do university-level math (and at the same time you are doing accounting and finance) don't apply to this program. If you have legitimate reasons why you think this program is ideal for you, and not just that it is really hard to get into and therefore must be as good as Wharton for your undergrad, then by all means apply. I don't need to tell anyone it is a great program, but it definitely isn't right for everyone.

+1 Definitely. I think more than half of the students in Math/CA go in thinking they're entering the best Math program in Canada or whatever because the admission averages are so high ... when it's essentially not even a Math program. Math/CAers are given exceptions do get their Math degree with less math courses than everyone else because of the accounting course requirements.

Just from what I've seen with Waterloo's Math admissions and from what I've heard, Math/CA is definitely losing a lot of favour. The faculty that handle the Math and Business programs (Math/CA, MathBBA DD, MathFARM, etc.) favour the DDs over the MathCAs. A lot of students who get into MathCA because they have ridiculously high marks won't find good coop positions because they lack social skills and professionalism.

It's not for everyone, but it is a great program with a great curriculum - combining two of Canada's best undergraduate educations (Waterloo Math and Accounting). It has some great tradition and the coop %s are still solid. You'll find a lot of the highest achieving SAF (School of Accounting and Finance) students are Math/CAers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0