yconic - Waterloo Math/CA acceptance/alternate offers
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Math/CA acceptance/alternate offers

A photo of VivekanJey VivekanJey
Hey guys I applied to Math/CA at Waterloo and was wondering a few things because I am more interested in the Waterloo Mathematics program in case I wanted to pursue a career in Actuarial Science:

1) If they don't feel I am fir for the Math/CA program will they offer me an alternate offer for Math/FARM, or just Math at Waterloo? If not, what are possible alternate offers with regards to the Math/CA program?

2) When will they start giving out "alternate offers"?

Any kind of opinions, thoughts, ideas and information would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of Bscit Bscit
1) Im pretty sure that if you dont get in the program you wanted, they will give you an alternate that is atleast in the same area. So they probably give you a different type of math class.

2) Idk but im pretty sure next batch of offers will be coming out a bit after mid term reports so end of this month.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SevenFlow SevenFlow
I've heard that they give out alternate offers to Math/bus, Math/FARM and just math but which one you get specifically is up to the admissions panel.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrendanSong BrendanSong
vivekan ;P
don't worry man, i'm sure you'll do fine
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dLins dLins
1) For all the people I know who didn't get into Math/CA, they all got alternate offers from either math/bus or math/FARM. I'm not sure about just math.

2)I think they'll give out alternate offers with the rejection.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zanjir Zanjir
I didn't want to create a new thread so I figured I would ask my question here. Does anyone know if Waterloo shows preferential treatment towards students applying to the Math/CA program for the first time? I applied last year and was a little surprised after being deferred to the FARM program - it's only in the past week that I realized that my AIF was not considered last year since I applied to the Math/CA program a little late. Apparently I needed to send them an e-mail explaining why my AIF was submitted past the deadline...

Anyway, here is the breakdown of my top 6 marks:

Advanced Functions:98
Calculus:98
Physics:96
Data Management:99
English:99
Chemistry: 90

Top 6 Average: 96.7%

I'm in UofT right now for Engineering, and while the program isn't too bad, it's not something I want to pursue. Anyway, what seem to be my chances for this year? I appreciate the feedback.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LooMech LooMech

@Zanjir wrote
I didn't want to create a new thread so I figured I would ask my question here. Does anyone know if Waterloo shows preferential treatment towards students applying to the Math/CA program for the first time? I applied last year and was a little surprised after being deferred to the FARM program - it's only in the past week that I realized that my AIF was not considered last year since I applied to the Math/CA program a little late. Apparently I needed to send them an e-mail explaining why my AIF was submitted past the deadline...

I'm in UofT right now for Engineering, and while the program isn't too bad, it's not something I want to pursue. Anyway, what seem to be my chances for this year? I appreciate the feedback.

How is a 99 in english even possible?! Wow!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zanjir Zanjir

@LooMech wrote

@Zanjir wrote

How is a 99 in english even possible?! Wow!

According to my English teacher, it was the highest mark she had ever given anyone - she had actually given it to two of us (the other student is extremely bright). I actually stumbled upon several of my essays from last year a few days ago and was surprised at what I was able to write. Undoubtedly, I would not be able to repeat that feat again... ever. LOL :D

Also, is it just me or is there much less activity in the Math/CA thread for this year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GainTheHedge GainTheHedge
Switching from a first year engineering program to math/CA is real tough considering your past history with the program but it is still possible. You must somehow show why you are more interested in math/CA than the other candidates applying and I feel it is the AIF that will make or break you. Look back at your past AIF (if you still have parts of it..) and see what you can learn from that so you can write a better one. Focus on how you've learned a lot over your past year in your field and use that to your advantage in comparison to students just out of high school. Your first year engineering marks should be top-notched too because the admission guys will look at that considerably.

btw Math/CA thread will get loads busier when more people get accepted. Still early right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zanjir Zanjir

@GainTheHedge wrote
Switching from a first year engineering program to math/CA is real tough considering your past history with the program but it is still possible. You must somehow show why you are more interested in math/CA than the other candidates applying and I feel it is the AIF that will make or break you. Look back at your past AIF (if you still have parts of it..) and see what you can learn from that so you can write a better one. Focus on how you've learned a lot over your past year in your field and use that to your advantage in comparison to students just out of high school. Your first year engineering marks should be top-notched too because the admission guys will look at that considerably.

btw Math/CA thread will get loads busier when more people get accepted. Still early right now.

I definitely agree with the bolded part - that's more or less what I tried to base my AIF on. I basically drew on what I like about the Math/CA program, as well as what I'm taking away from a year's worth of experience in Engineering. While I wasn't too much of a fan of the actual 'concept' of Engineering, I did enjoy select courses within the program (primarily the mathematics). I've already submitted/sent everything that I need to... I'll probably give them a call on Monday just to make sure that everything is in order.

I'm interested to know how competitive it will be this year (I remember immaculatedx saying that the cutoff was 103 last year). One interesting note is that while this is a competitive program, it seems that last year most programs were more competitive than normal. Even in UofT Engineering, we were told that we had the highest entrance average in the past 10 years or something similar to that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@GainTheHedge wrote
Switching from a first year engineering program to math/CA is real tough

@GainTheHedge wrote
but it is still possible.

Incorrect.

"Please note that it is not possible to transfer into the Math/CA program after year 1."

http://mathbus.uwaterloo.ca/First_Year_Courses.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zanjir wrote
I'm interested to know how competitive it will be this year (I remember immaculatedx saying that the cutoff was 103 last year). One interesting note is that while this is a competitive program, it seems that last year most programs were more competitive than normal. Even in UofT Engineering, we were told that we had the highest entrance average in the past 10 years or something similar to that.

The cutoff will be more or less 103. It may seem that marks are getting higher and higher but on a year to year basis, this is more of a fallacy.

Also, you seem like a smart guy - Math/CA program is really not that great especially with the curriculum changes per 2011. We've had a record of Math/CA students transfer out (Including me) this year. I know of at least 7 (out of 60) people who have transferred out. Also most people currently in the program wish they had went to AFM instead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zanjir Zanjir

@immaculatedx wrote

@Zanjir wrote

The cutoff will be more or less 103. It may seem that marks are getting higher and higher but on a year to year basis, this is more of a fallacy.

Also, you seem like a smart guy - Math/CA program is really not that great especially with the curriculum changes per 2011. We've had a record of Math/CA students transfer out (Including me) this year. I know of at least 7 (out of 60) people who have transferred out. Also most people currently in the program wish they had went to AFM instead.

What kind of changes if I may ask?

Also, as per your previous post, I'm applying to the program (and would effectively start at the beginning from year 1). In this case, I don't think there will be a problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zanjir wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@Zanjir wrote

Also, as per your previous post, I'm applying to the program (and would effectively start at the beginning from year 1). In this case, I don't think there will be a problem.

Well over the last few years, they've been diluting the math out of Math/CA. So you get the required Accounting courses but not all the other ones that can enrich the accounting and finance experience. And you have to take some hard math courses that you cannot expand upon further ... so the math really is pretty useless. Also, they've been making a lot of improvements to the AFM program adding on a bunch of very relevant useful courses in my opinion.

Also I don't think you understand what they mean. The requirements mean that they cannot accept ANY math/ca students after they've given out their acceptances for first year.

It is impossible to transfer to Math/CA if you are not admitted from high school. If you do not believe me, you can email Peter Balka pbalka@uwaterloo.ca (Coordinator of Math/CA) or Peter Wood pwood@uwaterloo.ca (Coordinator of all of Math/Business in UW).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@immaculatedx wrote

@Zanjir wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@Zanjir wrote

Well over the last few years, they've been diluting the math out of Math/CA. So you get the required Accounting courses but not all the other ones that can enrich the accounting and finance experience. And you have to take some hard math courses that you cannot expand upon further ... so the math really is pretty useless. Also, they've been making a lot of improvements to the AFM program adding on a bunch of very relevant useful courses in my opinion.

Yeah, I'll just add in here: before the changes they made, Math/CA made sense for many people because they were essentially just taking math courses instead of doing the Area of Interest in some stupid area, and got challenged a bit more by the math. For those that liked math and were good at it, it was a pretty good option. But now, as immaculatedx said, it makes much less sense (at least that's how most people seem to see it). The math doesn't really get you anywhere, and if you're really interested in accounting and finance, AFM will provide you better opportunities because of the new changes (with finance courses and such) and is less work (so you can focus on your core courses, be more involved in ECs, just relax). If you still feel Math/CA is a good option by all means go for it (although it seems as though you can't) but I would definitely make sure you know what you're getting into (too few know).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GainTheHedge GainTheHedge
Thanks for clearing things up, immaculatedx.
I was under the impression that math/CAs applications could get a second try if the first time
they applied wasn't successful.. guess not then.

Waterloo AFM is actually gaining a lot of flair and co-op from there PA stream is pretty decent too.
Math/CA is an overkill if you want accounting but I guess its prestige lays in how UW markets the program
to high schoolers and the title of 'CA' gives it some more legitimacy. Either way, you can get a CA degree
in both programs, just a matter of how you get there is different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@GainTheHedge wrote
Thanks for clearing things up, immaculatedx.
I was under the impression that math/CAs applications could get a second try if the first time
they applied wasn't successful.. guess not then.

Waterloo AFM is actually gaining a lot of flair and co-op from there PA stream is pretty decent too.
Math/CA is an overkill if you want accounting but I guess its prestige lays in how UW markets the program
to high schoolers and the title of 'CA' gives it some more legitimacy. Either way, you can get a CA degree
in both programs, just a matter of how you get there is different.

High schoolers apply because of the high admissions average and the magical prestige that they believe exists (it's only as prestigious as all of Waterloo accounting). It's crazy how many people apply to Math/CA, Mac Health Sci and UofT EngSci or some similar combination of high-entrance average/perceived prestige.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zanjir Zanjir
Thanks for all the input/information guys! I'll definitely give Waterloo a call again on Monday and also send Peter Balka an e-mail. If I'm lucky, maybe they'll make an exception, if not... there went a good amount of time rewriting an application.

Just a quick note, on the link immaculatedx posted, it says:

Students wishing to transfer into one of the business program from any other Math Faculty program should ensure that they have completed the required first year courses. These courses are summarized below. Please note that it is not possible to transfer into the Math/CA program after year 1.

Is this referring to Waterloo's Math Faculty? Also, how would this affect me given that I'm applying to begin from year 1? When I read this, I'm under the impression that this is addressing people that want to transfer into the program using the credits they already have (i.e. Me trying to transfer into Waterloo 2nd year Engineering given my completion of 1st year at UofT).

Also the heading of that section in the Waterloo link is 'Course Selection for Students wishing to Transfer for 2A'. I'm assuming 2A refers to the first semester of year 2? Again, I'm looking to start the program from 1A if my understanding of what 2A means is correct.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zanjir wrote
Thanks for all the input/information guys! I'll definitely give Waterloo a call again on Monday and also send Peter Balka an e-mail. If I'm lucky, maybe they'll make an exception, if not... there went a good amount of time rewriting an application.

Students wishing to transfer into one of the business program from any other Math Faculty program should ensure that they have completed the required first year courses. These courses are summarized below. Please note that it is not possible to transfer into the Math/CA program after year 1.

Is this referring to Waterloo's Math Faculty? Also, how would this affect me given that I'm applying to begin from year 1? When I read this, I'm under the impression that this is addressing people that want to transfer into the program using the credits they already have (i.e. Me trying to transfer into Waterloo 2nd year Engineering given my completion of 1st year at UofT).

Yes this is for internal transfer Math faculty. Since you cannot transfer programs until 2A (Unless for special circumstances), that means that you cannot transfer to Math/CA.

The same is true regardless of if you're in UW Math, it is 100% absolutely impossible to transfer into the Math/CA program. You can only be accepted from high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zanjir Zanjir

@immaculatedx wrote

@Zanjir wrote

Yes this is for internal transfer Math faculty. Since you cannot transfer programs until 2A (Unless for special circumstances), that means that you cannot transfer to Math/CA.

The same is true regardless of if you're in UW Math, it is 100% absolutely impossible to transfer into the Math/CA program. You can only be accepted from high school.

Do you have any advice on what I can do then? What bothers me is that when I initially called the admissions office, I specifically told them my situation and mentioned that I wanted to apply to the Math/CA program. Yet, they didn't say anything to stop me and instead just told me to get my application in before mid-April. I'll be slightly disappointed to know that I had to pay the application fees for no reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zanjir wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@Zanjir wrote

Do you have any advice on what I can do then? What bothers me is that when I initially called the admissions office, I specifically told them my situation and mentioned that I wanted to apply to the Math/CA program. Yet, they didn't say anything to stop me and instead just told me to get my application in before mid-April. I'll be slightly disappointed to know that I had to pay the application fees for no reason.

Admissions obviously doesn't know much. If you're applying to Math/CA ... if they treat you as a high school student, then you might be okay. I don't know though honestly - do they know that you have been attending UofT this year? If so, chances are you will not be given an acceptance and if you are, you will have to start at year 1.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zanjir Zanjir

@immaculatedx wrote

@Zanjir wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@Zanjir wrote

Admissions obviously doesn't know much. If you're applying to Math/CA ... if they treat you as a high school student, then you might be okay. I don't know though honestly - do they know that you have been attending UofT this year? If so, chances are you will not be given an acceptance and if you are, you will have to start at year 1.

I definitely told Admissions that I'm currently in UofT for Engineering. They even told me to send my UofT transcript to Waterloo. I'll definitely follow up on this and post their response here. Again, thanks for bringing this issue up - if I'm not going to be considered, then it's better I find out now rather than keep my hopes up until mid-May. Hopefully I'll be considered...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
Yes, you can be a student at another university, apply and be admitted into first year of Math/CA. You wouldn't be the first either (though the one I know has messed up his sequence because he changed his courses around and is now a year behind).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tomato123 tomato123
Hi guys,
so i'm planning on going to math/ca at waterloo...but i saw that we have to take a computer science class first year and i've NEVER taken a cs class before :S will it be super hard for me????? will i even pass?????????????
any help would be appreciated:)
thanx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SevenFlow SevenFlow

@tomato123 wrote
Hi guys,
so i'm planning on going to math/ca at waterloo...but i saw that we have to take a computer science class first year and i've NEVER taken a cs class before :S will it be super hard for me????? will i even pass?????????????
thanx

I really don't think you should base your university decision off of 1 first year course. As long as you work hard at it you'll do fine
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blah2012 blah2012

@tomato123 wrote
Hi guys,
thanx

If you know basic logic I'm sure you'll be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0