yconic - Waterloo Math/FARM vs. BBA/BMath Double Degree
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo Math/FARM vs. BBA/BMath Double Degree

A photo of WFerrell3 WFerrell3
Which program should I choose? I am having a lot of trouble deciding on which program is better for me. I understand the DD is a lot of work, but so is farm...which program will give me more options? Which program is more math-based??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
DD gives you more options. In my personal, and completely unreasearched, opinion, I would think FARM would be slightly more math based because you are thrust into more of a finance environment, where as DD gives you the ability to enter a less finance business field.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Options = DD
Math-Based = Farm.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

What specializations does DD offer in upper years? Like a CFA or CA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@WFerrell3 wrote

Be honest. You haven't done any reading on this at all have you? You will need to take a few extra credits in order to get all the required courses for CA. For CFA you can take the level 1 exam during your 5th year. However these are not specializations, they are outside certifications. Both waterloo and laurier offer a variety of majors/specializations in their respective programs. Many people will major in stats at waterloo and then accounting/finance at Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thekoz Thekoz
Personally I see FARM as a solid program if you have your heart set on cfa. The double degree offers a multitude of options in the upper years as the material being covered is veyr diverse, thereby allowing you to have a taste for both the business and math sides of the degree. Just my personal opinion though, if you haven't decided fully what you would like to do post grad DD is the way to go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Thekoz wrote
Personally I see FARM as a solid program if you have your heart set on cfa. The double degree offers a multitude of options in the upper years as the material being covered is veyr diverse, thereby allowing you to have a taste for both the business and math sides of the degree. Just my personal opinion though, if you haven't decided fully what you would like to do post grad DD is the way to go.

Thanks Pete:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@noxx98 wrote

@WFerrell3 wrote

Be honest. You haven't done any reading on this at all have you? You will need to take a few extra credits in order to get all the required courses for CA. For CFA you can take the level 1 exam during your 5th year. However these are not specializations, they are outside certifications. Both waterloo and laurier offer a variety of majors/specializations in their respective programs. Many people will major in stats at waterloo and then accounting/finance at Laurier.

+1 .. shouldn't you know the basic structure, what you can do and general pro/cons of your university choices ... ?

Hmmm, you can get all the credits you need for your CA from DD with your business (5) electives and free course electives (4). You will however have trouble finding CATO jobs and thus will be behind on time (You need 30 months at a CATO firm before a designation)
Was this helpful? Yes 0