yconic - Waterloo or Queens for math?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Waterloo or Queens for math?

A photo of blackjack blackjack
Hello, I have been accepted to both Waterloo's Math/CA and Queen's Science (planning to specialize in mathematics) and it would be great if I could have some other people's input on what would be best for me. I am leaning towards waterloo right now because my parents want me to go there but I really like Queens as well.

My parents want me to go to Math/CA because its a great program and it would be very easy to find a good job afterwards. The thing is that I have no idea what accounting even is and I don't know if I would be interested in it. My plan was that if I go into math/ca and i don't like it, I can switch out of it into another math program at waterloo that might be more interesting for me.

Queens
36K scholarship
very nice campus
only 2 hour drive from where I live
small 'math department' - don't really know what I can do after I graduate

Waterloo
12K scholarship - basically nothing since the math/ca program is 16K tuition/year
crappy campus
7 hour drive
great program
has a whole math department - more opportunities for me if I don't exactly know what I'm going to do

The only thing I know right now is that I'm pretty interested in math. I am good but definitely not good enough to do pure math and I don't really want to do research anyways. If anyone had any opinions, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Waterloo. So many more options. Can go to PI.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@johnnycanuck wrote
Waterloo. So many more options. Can go to PI.

+1

Yeah there are a lot of options at waterloo for math. Go to waterloo unless you really cant see yourself going there. Plus if money is an issue remember the coop will help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0